U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM

21,111 posts, read 27,123,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Well I agree with his very obvious point, that the difficulty in choking out a cougar lies in being able to do so while it's cutting you to shreds and trying to get it's mouth around your neck. Who could argue with that? I bet the guy was a bloody mess.
Before you edited your post, it was clear that you hadn't even read the second part of her sentence. That's my point here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM

3,300 posts, read 1,692,073 times
In another article it said he hit the cat with a rock so maybe it was dazed enough that he could choke it. I will say this. My daughter has an American Stafford-shire dog that is about 85 pounds and he is solid muscle. His head and shoulders are amazingly big and thick. I am a big guy and this dog, if he wanted, would rip me to shreds.

Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM

2,854 posts, read 1,851,468 times
Mtn Lions are all over CO. If you were out in the forest, odds are you were observed by one, even if you didn't see it.

Typically they seek to avoid people unless they are small in stature. That this guy appeared small enough to appear attractive as prey, but was strong enough to subdue it, is an interesting mix.

Given their typical reluctance to attack humans, I have to wonder if this cat was simply stupid because of its age, starving, or sick.

It is illegal in CO to kill lions without a permit, even if they are threatening you or a domestic animal. Killing a lion that is attacking a domestic animal is illegal. Killing a lion that has made contact with you is allowable without punishment.

80# is about half the size of a normal adult size lion. Despite that, they can still be lethal.

Runner sustained serious but non life threatening injuries.

There have only been two fatal mountain lion attacks in CO since 1991, and fewer than 20 reported nationwide in the last 100 years, so they are a rarity.

Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM

1,186 posts, read 314,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Before you edited your post, it was clear that you hadn't even read the second part of her sentence. That's my point here.
Actually I still see no point in making such a painfully obvious comment.
The difficulty of beating a top fuel race car in a quarter mile race with my suv isn't getting to the finish line first, it's dealing with the 10k hp it has.
But let's stop beating this to death.

Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM

21,111 posts, read 27,123,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Actually I still see no point in making such a painfully obvious comment.
The difficulty of beating a top fuel race car in a quarter mile race with my suv isn't getting to the finish line first, it's dealing with the 10k hp it has.
But let's stop beating this to death.
Not interested in beating things to death. I was just making an observation after you jumped all over another poster after misinterpreting her post.

Last edited by Metlakatla; Yesterday at 03:48 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM

354 posts, read 203,346 times
The thing that scares me the most about the thought of a deadly wrestle with a cat is their tendency to kick out with their back claws as they simultaneously pull you in with their front claws.

Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM

33,493 posts, read 30,878,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
The thing that scares me the most about the thought of a deadly wrestle with a cat is their tendency to kick out with their back claws as they simultaneously pull you in with their front claws.
Ya, being disemboweled would rather ruin your day.

Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM

33,493 posts, read 30,878,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
All states get to set there own laws, CA takes it to more the extreme than any other.

That said, no idea if this would be illegal there or not.
I know a guy that shot one with a bow as it was trying to pounce on him. F & G tried to paint him as a villian and confiscated his bow and it cost him a S ton of money to fight it. He would have been better off SSS.

Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM

6,790 posts, read 12,143,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Mtn Lions are all over CO. If you were out in the forest, odds are you were observed by one, even if you didn't see it.

Typically they seek to avoid people unless they are small in stature. That this guy appeared small enough to appear attractive as prey, but was strong enough to subdue it, is an interesting mix.

Given their typical reluctance to attack humans, I have to wonder if this cat was simply stupid because of its age, starving, or sick.

It is illegal in CO to kill lions without a permit, even if they are threatening you or a domestic animal. Killing a lion that is attacking a domestic animal is illegal. Killing a lion that has made contact with you is allowable without punishment.

80# is about half the size of a normal adult size lion. Despite that, they can still be lethal.

Runner sustained serious but non life threatening injuries.

There have only been two fatal mountain lion attacks in CO since 1991, and fewer than 20 reported nationwide in the last 100 years, so they are a rarity.
These attacks seem to be happening more now. A few months ago a woman hiker was killed in Oregon. A few months earlier 2 guys riding dirt bikes in Washington were attacked. One was killed. Both attacks were found to be cougars. In the Oregon attack the cougar was found and shot by investigators.

In sure we will see this jogger on tv at some point. Im thankful he is ok. Definitely a story he has to tell for the rest of his life.

Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM

5,137 posts, read 2,049,295 times
He got lucky. It was a hungry youngster. I am willing to bet the outcome would be different had it been an adult, they hunt 1000lb Elk for dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events