Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 07:25 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
If your housecat could kill you easy by just gaining an extra 10 lbs., please get off C-D and get to a GYM!!!
I'm pretty sure that all the gym training in the world won't help you defend against razor sharp claws, an unmatched agility, and the will to survive.

But your huge biceps and glutes will surely scare off a wild animal that was previously planning to attack you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 08:19 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,731,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Irish wolfhounds also kill wolves. I wonder how a fight between a 150 irish wolfhound and a 100 lb cougar would go? (I'm sure even weights cougar is going to easily beat any dog)
I believe they were bred to track wolves, not kill them. A wolf or big cat would likely make short work of any dog.

It's puzzling why the young mountain lion in this story persisted with an attack upon a human. He was certainly very lucky to turn around at the right time.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:31 AM

34,993 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'm pretty sure that all the gym training in the world won't help you defend against razor sharp claws, an unmatched agility, and the will to survive.

But your huge biceps and glutes will surely scare off a wild animal that was previously planning to attack you.
In my case I am not that muscular and I don't have "huge biceps and glutes" but I was able to scare off an 80 lb. attacking Golden Retriever.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:34 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,942,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Uh huh.

Sure you did.

What you've written is complete nonsense. Demonstrably so. Here is the relevant California statute:

Bill Text - SB-769 Mountain lions: display, exhibition, or storage.
I didn't say an individual would be convicted. But you can be lawfully or unlawfully arrested for anything. LE does it everyday. I don't know if an arrest in this matter is department policy or not. I was relying on what I was told by an active officer.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:26 PM

2,019 posts, read 1,310,086 times
I just remembered this one:
https://www.foxnews.com/science/geor...me-for-my-face

I love her quote: “Thank God I am not a little woman,“ she said.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:48 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
One time I was hunting ducks in the deep woods many miles from a paved road and had a wonderful day. The very last round I had with me brought one last duck out the air. So I went over to retrieve my duck in tall swamp grass. I reached down to grab what was moving in the grass to be met with teeth coming up at my hand. Here there was a raccoon out in the middle of the day in this swamp and it had me in it's sights. It very well could have been rabid; which was the very first thing that crossed my mind. So I backed up and it still came after me. I don't know if any of you have ever tried walking in tall swamp grass; it is very difficult (let alone trying to run). There were no trees to hide behind or limbs to pickup for a weapon. So I used the only thing I had with me and that was my empty Winchester Model 12. I had hand to hand combat training in the Army and this was the only time I ever got to use that training. I stopped the raccoon and my Model 12 suffered a chip out the stock (which it still has today). But it was not an easy battle; that raccoon was very tough.

I would like to think that raccoon weighed 20 pounds; but it was probably closer to 10 or 12 pounds. Even small wild animals can still be worthy opponents. I guess the moral of my story is to never fire your last round!
Bro, we are talking a HOUSECAT, not a wild animal. That’s what the guy said, his own cat!! SMH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post

Again, PAY ATTENTION!! I responded to a poster thinking his own CAT could kill him!
I know my sisters biceps would probably scare you.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:05 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
Quote:
Bro, we are talking a HOUSECAT, not a wild animal. That’s what the guy said, his own cat!! SMH!
You ever watch: https://www.animalplanet.com/tv-show...at-from-hell/? When I was young my next-door neighbor had one. It would climb you like a tree and try to take out your eyes. Nasty little cat and deadly if you were not prepared. Hockey goalie attire was always preferred when visiting!

Old 02-12-2019, 10:41 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:

Again, PAY ATTENTION!! I responded to a poster thinking his own CAT could kill him!
I know my sisters biceps would probably scare you.
I think fisheye's point was that even a relatively small wild animal could do some damage to a human.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:46 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I think fisheye's point was that even a relatively small wild animal could do some damage to a human.
That's nuttin' if ya hit da gym.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:51 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,267 times
There is a reflex on our part sometimes to discount 80 pound opponents. After all, an 80 pound human, can usually be easily subdued but, felines are easily comparable to our strongest, fastest gymnasts.

Imagine a Simone Biles or Aly Raisman (sp?) that instinctively can and will fight, has 10 knife sharp claws, each several inches in length, and only one of those going across your jugular before you bleed out in about a half hour, or less.

I'm 6ft, 230 lbs, and I have no subjective shame in saying this particular trail jogger is far more bada-- than I, and that, objectively speaking, his "toughness" far exceeds that of the average human.

EDIT: I might feel less fearful if perhpaps I had a bat, machete, choice of lead plumbing conduit, something to keep out of arm's reach...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events