U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2019, 08:16 PM
 
Location: colorado springs, CO
4,413 posts, read 1,995,528 times
Reputation: 15218

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Who said it was? Pointing out that it affects both genders and all orientations is not un-useful. Women may be more inherently vulnerable, but even the burliest construction worker can be stupid and end up on the wrong end of a robbery.
Re-framing the perception of one's own vulnerability in the minds of young women from Mid-Western small towns who go to California to "make it big"; as equal to the vulnerability of Big Burly Blue-Collar men ... Is NOT useful.

Especially for the young women & their families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Cool. This thread is about the woman in the OP's link.

I just don't get what she was thinking, going along with it all. When the guy turned out to be someone else, why stick around? And to follow him to the Phillipines? I guess the ideal of traveling peaked her interest.

Good that the 2 men were complete idiots, and got caught so quickly. Who takes a taxi to dump a body?
I was struck by how these "Gods" (as they referred to themselves as) were considered such a force to be reckoned with from behind their computer screens & keyboards, yet in real-life they were bumbling around at almost the level of slapstick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2019, 11:37 PM
 
11,743 posts, read 6,994,954 times
Reputation: 21612
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I was struck by how these "Gods" (as they referred to themselves as) were considered such a force to be reckoned with from behind their computer screens & keyboards, yet in real-life they were bumbling around at almost the level of slapstick.
Considering the one guy has spent most of his adult life in federal facilities, I don't think they were the "gods" they thought they were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2019, 11:39 PM
 
12,309 posts, read 5,947,020 times
Reputation: 11762
I used to watch 'Web of Lies' on the ID channel. Lots of scary stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:09 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
9,320 posts, read 5,111,213 times
Reputation: 7997
What a story.........can't it be, "Just the facts, ma'am"?


As far as catfishing goes, not quite familiar with it in the wiki context.....but it does sound like the tactics I was taught of how the KGB reeled in unwilling workers during the Cold War. Cutting to the chase, the target should be asking, why is this person interested in me? What brought them to seek me out.


Then, there is, "He told you what you wanted to hear!"--Romana II, "The Horns of Nimon"


Then, there is using such methods as defensive tactics, on either side, such as with doubles.


As I've said before, having been a spook is murder on the adventures of trying to establish a relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:05 AM
 
5,248 posts, read 1,745,228 times
Reputation: 8313
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Please young women, take notice!!

SO MANY TIMES guys you meet online have bad intent...

It will serve you well to be oh-so-careful regarding online relationships.
As we've learned over and over, most posters on CD feel that women should take no safety precautions whatsoever as far as dating and social events with men.

Waiting for all the posts to say that what she did was perfectly smart and there was absolutely nothing she could have done differently./eyeroll/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM
 
1,043 posts, read 311,790 times
Reputation: 2658
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
As far as catfishing goes, not quite familiar with it in the wiki context.....but it does sound like the tactics I was taught of how the KGB reeled in unwilling workers during the Cold War. Cutting to the chase, the target should be asking, why is this person interested in me? What brought them to seek me out.


Then, there is, "He told you what you wanted to hear!"--Romana II, "The Horns of Nimon"
I agree- it's sad, but as soon as I saw a message on Match.com starting with, "Hello, Beautiful", my antennae would go up. I'm 66 and my face looks it. I have many good qualities but I'm not drop-dead gorgeous. I guess it helps that my first marriage was to a leech; I'm very wary of anyone who might be looking for money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM
 
8,041 posts, read 2,006,959 times
Reputation: 5629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Considering the one guy has spent most of his adult life in federal facilities, I don't think they were the "gods" they thought they were.
He is in for a nasty wake up call when he starts doing his time in the Philippines!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM
 
8,041 posts, read 2,006,959 times
Reputation: 5629
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
What a story.........can't it be, "Just the facts, ma'am"?


As far as catfishing goes, not quite familiar with it in the wiki context.....but it does sound like the tactics I was taught of how the KGB reeled in unwilling workers during the Cold War. Cutting to the chase, the target should be asking, why is this person interested in me? What brought them to seek me out.


Then, there is, "He told you what you wanted to hear!"--Romana II, "The Horns of Nimon"


Then, there is using such methods as defensive tactics, on either side, such as with doubles.


As I've said before, having been a spook is murder on the adventures of trying to establish a relationship.
Yea, Im not sure where the term 'catfishing' came from, this is not a new scam at all, it was 'lonely hearts' in years past, same exact thing,I think they are trying to disguise it or deceptive by referring to it as catfishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM
 
522 posts, read 175,626 times
Reputation: 1090
This is tragic, but this girl had friends and family that cared about her, and tried to talk some sense into her, but she would not listen. She made one bad choice after another, and paid the price.

Note to others...when someone close to you says ‘don’t tell anyone’, when you discover something sketchy about them, TELL SOMEONE! It could have saved this girls life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
2,648 posts, read 1,359,534 times
Reputation: 2835
It’s stories like these that make the stigma and creepiness about online dating persist, even though it is more accepted than it used to be, lol.

No woman should be traveling to a foreign country alone to meet someone they met online for the first time.

The thing about online dating for both men and women is that you just don’t know any background about the person. That is what makes it so weird.

Sad story, but in this day and age, people should have a better idea of red flags that they are getting catfished, and should know to be cautious about people they meet online (and take proper precautions).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top