U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM

11,743 posts, read 6,994,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
No woman should be traveling to a foreign country alone to meet someone they met online for the first time.
She was still in California when they met for the first time in July 2018. Then in October, they traveled together to the Philippines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yea, Im not sure where the term 'catfishing' came from, this is not a new scam at all, it was 'lonely hearts' in years past, same exact thing,I think they are trying to disguise it or deceptive by referring to it as catfishing.
Different generations use different slang to describe the same thing. I don't see what is deceptive about that. No different than saying something is "lit" instead of saying it's "tight" or "the cat's pajamas".

Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM

8,041 posts, read 2,006,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Itís stories like these that make the stigma and creepiness about online dating persist, even though it is more accepted than it used to be, lol.

No woman should be traveling to a foreign country alone to meet someone they met online for the first time.

The thing about online dating for both men and women is that you just donít know any background about the person. That is what makes it so weird.

Sad story, but in this day and age, people should have a better idea of red flags that they are getting catfished, and should know to be cautious about people they meet online (and take proper precautions).
Online dating is still pretty creepy overall...people wonder why someone has trouble finding dates in the real world and has to resort to 'online', (where fraud and faker y are almost the norm).

Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM

2,648 posts, read 1,359,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
She was still in California when they met for the first time in July 2018. Then in October, they traveled together to the Philippines.
Ahh...touchť. I admit I didnít read the article closely.

Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Online dating is still pretty creepy overall...people wonder why someone has trouble finding dates in the real world and has to resort to 'online', (where fraud and faker y are almost the norm).
To be honest, I have used Online dating before, and it has been fine. The issue for me has not been meeting creepy people, but looks, personality, general personality and conversation compatibility are all unknowns until you meet in real life. Because all of those can be different than expected, imo, that is why so many people who meet online meet up once or twice, and then move on.

The last woman I met up with online seemed very compatible when we met briefly for coffee, but interacting with her after that and the next time we met up for drinks, I could just tell we weren’t a good match. When you meet someone in real life, you tend to know them a little bit before you start dating (whether it’s through activity/social club, mutual friends, grad school, etc) so you know there is a sense of compatibility to begin with.

That has been my issue with OLD rather than the creepy factor, and why I much prefer meeting people to date in real life rather than online.

Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM

18,580 posts, read 15,553,143 times
Quote:
Exactly. The title makes it sound like he killed her shortly after meeting her, but it's not the case. She forgave him for catfishing her because she had fun on the date. They dated for months at least, she was in business with him, too (legal marijuana, which is the reason she moved to Cali in the first place))

IDK if the murder had anything at all to do with the fact he catfished her, perhaps more to do with the business they were in. Per the article, she told a friend awhile ago that she was looking for a gun to buy because someone had threatened her and her boyfriend.

Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM

Quote:
It's not really the norm, although online dating does su**. The only real deception I encountered in 15 years of off/on online dating was a man who in person had to weigh close to 400 pounds, while his pics must have been old.

The fact she forgave him and decided to enter into a relationship with him despite the deception is testament to just how hard it is t meet people IRL today, even for a girl who is young and cute.

Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
IDK if the murder had anything at all to do with the fact he catfished her, perhaps more to do with the business they were in. Per the article, she told a friend awhile ago that she was looking for a gun to buy because someone had threatened her and her boyfriend.
It shows how shady he was, and how he was probably very secretive. Their relationship started with lies, and she should have never trusted him.

Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM

Quote:
It shows how shady he was, and how he was probably very secretive. Their relationship started with lies, and she should have never trusted him.
Right, My point is, that shows how much people want to meet someone and how hard it is today, that she chose to overlook the deception and date him anyway.

Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Exactly. The title makes it sound like he killed her shortly after meeting her, but it's not the case. She forgave him for catfishing her because she had fun on the date. They dated for months at least, she was in business with him, too (legal marijuana, which is the reason she moved to Cali in the first place))

Yeah, I am not sure, but IMO, being catfished by someone is a real red flag. Although, I do agree with you that it does seem like the story has been sensationalized as a story of a person being murdered by “someone she met online” when in fact, the fact that they met online may have nothing to do with the murder. There are many crimes between spouses committed by partners who met the “traditional way (in real life).”

The headlines play into the stereotypes (and many media stories) of online dating being weird, creepy, and potentially dangerous so that is how it is being spun, even though (as you said) this crime may not directly be related to online dating/the fact they met online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events