U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM

18,577 posts, read 15,553,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah, I am not sure, but IMO, being catfished by someone is a real red flag. Although, I do agree with you that it does seem like the story has been sensationalized as a story of a person being murdered by “someone she met online” when in fact, the fact that they met online may have nothing to do with the murder. There are many crimes between spouses committed by partners who met the “traditional way (in real life).”

The headlines play into the stereotypes (and many media stories) of online dating being weird, creepy, and potentially dangerous so that is how it is being spun, even though (as you said) this crime may not directly be related to online dating/the fact they met online.
I’m just saying they had a relationship. The title makes it sound like he killed her on the first date. Add that with the fact they were both in the marijuana trade, and there could be all sorts of reasons why she was killed. I do agree the catfishing was a bad sign. He brought a friend along to first date cause he was afraid how she’d react. He was apparently very shy/not good socially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM

20,374 posts, read 13,756,257 times
Excellent writing, I found the story very compelling, but unfortunately, no one has any answers as to why this young girl turned up dead. Also, if you have Netflix, there is a series called "Murder Mountain", its a place in Northern California where many people like this young girl end up seeking work as a cannabis worker, and a lot of people end up dead, as well. I've only seen a little of the series, but what I've seen its how rugged and remote Northern California is, and how many of these marijuana farms are illegal, and there is no cell phone coverage if you do find yourself in a jam.

They never did answer why Woody is covering his mouth in all of the photos. I don't think this kid is going to do very well in a Philippine prison, and I don't have any sympathy for him.

Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM

11,741 posts, read 6,994,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
They never did answer why Woody is covering his mouth in all of the photos. I don't think this kid is going to do very well in a Philippine prison, and I don't have any sympathy for him.
I would think he's doing it because of facial recognition software. Probably some dumb thing he came up with to hide his "hacker identity. Just as Mir Islam goes by his "God" name Josh Matthews on social media.

Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM

2,783 posts, read 521,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Are all Buzzfeed articles 10,000 words? Man that was a long article.
Because of the lengthy article, I did not read it yet but the article is 7797 words long not counting the Comments section.

Old Today, 09:49 AM

20,374 posts, read 13,756,257 times
Video of them loading the body in a cab. How bizarre to load a body into a cab and ask to stop by a river (which has been declared biologically dead) and dump it in the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=rB-AQ9OmXCg

Old Today, 01:24 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,342,715 times
Default Absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
As we've learned over and over, most posters on CD feel that women should take no safety precautions whatsoever as far as dating and social events with men.

Waiting for all the posts to say that what she did was perfectly smart and there was absolutely nothing she could have done differently./eyeroll/
Yes, that's pretty much the sentiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events