Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 03:50 AM

16,257 posts, read 10,384,999 times

Advertisements

Are all Buzzfeed articles 10,000 words? Man that was a long article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 09:59 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,003,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Are all Buzzfeed articles 10,000 words? Man that was a long article.
No, but they do have the occasional long form journalism piece. Most of their news articles are no different then what you would find in the news sections of CNN, Fox, etc..

Old 02-07-2019, 10:45 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,137,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Who said it was? Pointing out that it affects both genders and all orientations is not un-useful. Women may be more inherently vulnerable, but even the burliest construction worker can be stupid and end up on the wrong end of a robbery.
Uh, "stupid" is walking into a bear trap without several layers of non-lethal self-defense handy. Something that can be deployed very rapidly, followed by E&E. That's common sense, at least for someone with any brains about handling unfamiliar situations with (unknown) risk. Applies to both men and women, so people won't get all bent out of shape on this thread.

The "burliest construction worker" can pretty quickly deploy pepper spray, then a baton, to smash out of a bad situation using speed and violence. After, he should be jogging or running the other way. A woman really needs to immobilize her opponent for a few seconds and eel out the door into the open, then book.

Ask me how I know. I'm a big ogre of a man and very seldom, though not "never", have found myself in such situations, let us say. Security fundamentals, people.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:17 AM

76 posts, read 48,116 times
That is so sad! Rest in peace to the lady

Old 02-07-2019, 11:19 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,263,378 times
Yes, that WAS a long article but very well-written. So... "catfishing" is a sort of bait-and-switch in which the person who shows up at the first in-person meeting isn't the one with whom the victim had been exchanging messages?

I started on-line dating seriously in the middle of last year. I'm not young and beautiful but I'm in good shape and have money (and I included pictures of myself in places such as Greenland and Nepal in hopes of meeting guys whose idea of travel was something beyond a motorcycle trip to the Ozarks). I've headed off a few of what I'm pretty sure were scammers. I hope none was that evil.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:30 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,747,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Uh, "stupid" is walking into a bear trap without several layers of non-lethal self-defense handy.
And you might call meeting a Craigslist buyer or lots of other things a bear trap and prepare just like that... but that sweet little gal you've been corresponding with for a month and are finally going to meet at a cosy hotel? Going in heavy might be seen as a bit rude or crazy, if you even think of it in the first place.

Catfishing is all about the wrong head doing the thinking.

Last edited by Quietude; 02-07-2019 at 12:42 PM..

Old 02-07-2019, 12:41 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,747,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Perhaps you could change your web name to "Perropescado"?
Or "Gatomoscado."

j/k j/k j/k...

Old 02-07-2019, 02:20 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,003,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Yes, that WAS a long article but very well-written. So... "catfishing" is a sort of bait-and-switch in which the person who shows up at the first in-person meeting isn't the one with whom the victim had been exchanging messages?).
Catfishing is when you pretend to be someone else online in order to lead the other person on. The guy originally contacted her pretending to be Mac Miller, a well known rapper. It was never Mac Miller's social media account, it was always this creep.

You might remember the news story about the Notre Dame football player, Manti Te'o, from a few years ago.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:58 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,263,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Catfishing is when you pretend to be someone else online in order to lead the other person on. The guy originally contacted her pretending to be Mac Miller, a well known rapper. It was never Mac Miller's social media account, it was always this creep.
Thanks. I ran into that after I changed my FB status to Single a couple of years after DH died. (I figured "Widow" would make me a bigger target. I've gotten a few Friend Requests from nice-looking men, most of whom had just put up a profile and had no other Friends. One was in a military uniform and said he was deployed in the Middle East. Curious, I put his picture into Google Images and found an article from the Toronto Globe and Mail a few years ago- his picture, his name, definitely military deployed in the Middle East. I didn't have "catfishing" in my vocabulary but suspected immediately the real guy had no idea "he" was on FaceBook trolling for women. Perfect cover for a scammer who's not easily available in person, on the Internet at odd hours, and might have an urgent need for money. "Could you please buy my plane ticket? I'm in Libya and can't pay myself because of the US embargo against Libya but I'll pay you back..." "I was on my way to see you, my darling, but my wallet was stolen and the corrupt immigration officials in Bomboola won't let me leave the country unless I bribe them with $3,000......"

Old 02-07-2019, 05:35 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,118,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Thanks. I ran into that after I changed my FB status to Single a couple of years after DH died. (I figured "Widow" would make me a bigger target. I've gotten a few Friend Requests from nice-looking men, most of whom had just put up a profile and had no other Friends. One was in a military uniform and said he was deployed in the Middle East. Curious, I put his picture into Google Images and found an article from the Toronto Globe and Mail a few years ago- his picture, his name, definitely military deployed in the Middle East. I didn't have "catfishing" in my vocabulary but suspected immediately the real guy had no idea "he" was on FaceBook trolling for women. Perfect cover for a scammer who's not easily available in person, on the Internet at odd hours, and might have an urgent need for money. "Could you please buy my plane ticket? I'm in Libya and can't pay myself because of the US embargo against Libya but I'll pay you back..." "I was on my way to see you, my darling, but my wallet was stolen and the corrupt immigration officials in Bomboola won't let me leave the country unless I bribe them with $3,000......"
This is a common one. Its been referred to as a "lonely hearts" scam. It has been going on since the days of the classified ad personals in newspapers. Things like this will always exist. Scammers play the numers game. Talk to enough people and eventually you reel one and thier money in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events