U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 04:58 PM

951 posts, read 1,515,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
My grandmother's maiden name was Dick. So you either had to have a good sense of humor or let it get under your skin. I've heard the family reunion t-shirts we're hilarious. I recently reconnected with a relative and asked her about growing up with Dick as a last name. She said it was pretty funny most of the time, but she has a great sense of humor. By the way, my great grandfather's name was Peter Dick. Wonder if that name could cause a problem with the DMV?
OH dear. But it's only in d US that d name means something negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 06:36 PM

18,747 posts, read 15,635,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
OH dear. But it's only in d US that d name means something negative.
They have their own slang words and Iím sure names they make fun of.

I will say I will never understand why anyone named Richard would choose to go by Dick when they could just as easily be Rich. I donít know where they even get Dick from Richard now that I think about, lol.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:13 PM

11,848 posts, read 7,043,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t know where they even get Dick from Richard now that I think about, lol.

Same thing as Bob for Robert or Bill for William.

People started trying to come up with new nicknames for common names, and resorted to rhyming already common nicknames. Rob-Bob, Will-Bill, Rick-Dick.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:07 PM

6,539 posts, read 3,594,741 times
Quote:
They have their own slang words and Iím sure names they make fun of.

I will say I will never understand why anyone named Richard would choose to go by Dick when they could just as easily be Rich. I donít know where they even get Dick from Richard now that I think about, lol.

Because maybe they're poor, so Rich would be considered false advertising.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Because maybe they're poor, so Rich would be considered false advertising.
But maybe theyíre nice, and Dick is false advertising!

Old 02-18-2019, 09:13 AM

1,828 posts, read 704,531 times
Quote:
But maybe they’re nice, and Dick is false advertising!
Being a sur-name, Dick, the women could at least marry someone get a new last name. But they were for the most part fun with the name. I heard they would try to out do each other at family reunions with funny t-shirts. I'm a Dick, are you? I'm not a Dick, just married to one . What a bunch of Dicks. My father was a Dick, I'm, so is my son. Wonder what people thought when they saw that group?

Old 02-18-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Being a sur-name, Dick, the women could at least marry someone get a new last name. But they were for the most part fun with the name. I heard they would try to out do each other at family reunions with funny t-shirts. I'm a Dick, are you? I'm not a Dick, just married to one . What a bunch of Dicks. My father was a Dick, I'm, so is my son. Wonder what people thought when they saw that group?
They have an awesome sense of humor!

Old Today, 02:49 PM

5,051 posts, read 4,559,914 times
Now I remember why I post on these forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or