U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM

21,404 posts, read 4,474,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Things you shouldn’t do while visiting other countries.

This lady is really having a bad day and simply is making it worse with her actions. Not the vacation trip that I would want spending time in prison however while in a foreign country I would be a little more tolerant of what their authorities when dealing with them.

A court in Bali, Indonesia, sentenced a British tourist to six months in prison for slapping an immigration officer last year, The Jakarta Post and Sky News reported.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...id=mailsignout

Well, at least she wasn't an American! Most of the time, seems it is...

How charming of her....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM

20,886 posts, read 21,061,867 times
in a just world, she would have been restrained, the immigration officer would slap her back, screech at her a bit and everything would have been settled

Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM

3,434 posts, read 1,908,076 times
hardly your typical Brit.

Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM

11,741 posts, read 6,994,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
LOL - they were gypsy travellers, and not typical Brits.

Although I am not sure if their actions warranted newspaper headlines, they tried to con a petrol station out of a can of red bull and received a parking ticket.
I guess you didn't actually read the article, and all the trouble they caused while in New Zealand. The parking ticket and attempted theft at the BP was what happened on the way back from the airport. The dad bleached his hair, supposedly so he wouldn't be recognized after all the attention his family had been receiving in the press.

Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM

234 posts, read 61,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Well, at least she wasn't an American! Most of the time, seems it is...

How charming of her....
I've read other articles about Brits, as well as people from other countries, behaving poorly abroad. There are idiotic people everywhere, not just the U.S., and sometimes they travel to foreign countries and continue to act like idiots. That shouldn't be a surprise.

Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I doubt that it was intentional, but that would be seen as an insult by most Brits.
That bunch may have been travelling on British passports, but in U.K. they’re known as “Irish tinkers” or travellers.
They’re infamous for parking their caravans, (trailers to you), on anyone’s land, private or public, leaving mountains of crap behind, including soiled diapers, and piles of human faeces when they go, and stealing anything that isn’t nailed down.
Imagine if Puerto Ricans had a bad rep, I don’t think that they have one, they seemed okay when I was in San Juan, but imagine if they did.
If a family of them got a little inebriated on a visit to Spain, would you be happy to read about that crazy American family of drunks in Spain?
So tourists should get a pass on their poor behavior because... Others might be offended that they're being called out? Or do you not think the media should disclouse were people are from when writing articles about tourists?

Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM

21,404 posts, read 4,474,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
I've read other articles about Brits, as well as people from other countries, behaving poorly abroad. There are idiotic people everywhere, not just the U.S., and sometimes they travel to foreign countries and continue to act like idiots. That shouldn't be a surprise.
I didn't say it was a surprise...

US citizens are always pointed out though, as being particularly offensive overseas, it seems...

Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM

1,345 posts, read 565,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
So tourists should get a pass on their poor behavior because... Others might be offended that they're being called out? Or do you not think the media should disclouse were people are from when writing articles about tourists?

I didn’t suggest that at all.
You wrote that you thought that it referred to the crazy British family in New Zealand.
I pointed out that regular British people would take great exception to being lumped in with a bunch of thieving “Irish tinker” travellers, who may be travelling on British passports, but any similarity ended right there.
They are universally despised in U.K., and our Forums are full of posts wondering if, and when, our Keystone Kops will ever grow the cojones to deal with their scofflaw thieving and anti social behaviour.

Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I didn’t suggest that at all.
You wrote that you thought that it referred to the crazy British family in New Zealand.
I pointed out that regular British people would take great exception to being lumped in with a bunch of thieving “Irish tinker” travellers, who may be travelling on British passports, but any similarity ended right there.
They are universally despised in U.K., and our Forums are full of posts wondering if, and when, our Keystone Kops will ever grow the cojones to deal with their scofflaw thieving and anti social behaviour.
Just because I said they were British doesn't mean I think all British people behave that way.

I'm well aware that "regular British people" don't act like this family, nor like the woman who slapped the immigration officer.

Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
But unfortunetly the term is Ugly American... Not Ugly person traveling to foreign countries...

Do other countries have such a specif title used to describe their poorly behaved citizens? It seems like more often then not, it is Americans being called out. Even though, like you wrote, there are idiotic people everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or