U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 08:19 AM

9,407 posts, read 2,370,936 times

Advertisements

I learned recently that fish can be frozen solid, out of water and if they are put back into water, they will come back to life! Its a slow process, but it does return to life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 08:25 AM

11,656 posts, read 4,825,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I learned recently that fish can be frozen solid, out of water and if they are put back into water, they will come back to life! Its a slow process, but it does return to life.
A few animals including some frogs are able to do this. Cats are not one of them.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:27 AM

11,945 posts, read 9,971,524 times
If that thing had nine lives, he just spent 'em all. Whoo!

Old 02-08-2019, 09:06 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,004,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Oh please....they adopted it? Then it was their responsibility to get that cat OUT OF THAT WEATHER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Exactly. The very least they could have done is provide it with some kind of outdoor shelter, even a styrofoam box with a blanket in it would have helped, or at a minimum let it stay in the garage for a few days.
No, instead they thought it had super powers and could survive outdoors in sub freezing temps without any help from them. Yet, they adopted it?
It would have been much kinder to take it to an animal shelter even if it may have been euthanized. That's better than freezing to death.

It did have a shelter. According to the article, the reason it froze is because it was injured and couldn't get back to the shelter. The vet confirmed this and even said they did "nothing wrong."

I am not saying this is what I would do, but I think these people were trying to do what they thought was best for the cat. Not doing things exactly the "right way" when you run into stray cat living in your yard isn't the same as being a stupid or neglectful person who gets a pet without understanding how to care for it. I am not going to condemn people for trying to do the best they can/what they think is best. I bet most people wouldn't have bothered to even take it to the vet in the same situation. I am just saying cut these people some slack for not being the perfect cat owners when they never opted to be cat owners in the first place.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:07 AM

5,861 posts, read 2,086,317 times
I don't know the exact circumstances here, but sometimes it's not so easy to get ahold of a feral cat, unless you set a trap.

I have a friend who happens to LOVE cats. He and his wife moved to a house in the city, that had a feral cat that was hanging around. He tried to tempt her with food to come inside, but she was always leery. Never the less, he made sure she had food to eat.

Eventually, after a year and some months, the cat was comfortable enough with him, that if he sat outside on a nice day, she'd come to him and let him pet her. And then she let him pick her up. When she had kittens, she brought the kittens to him. He adopted two of the kittens, and he was eventually able to get the mama cat spayed.

She still comes around from time to time, but she becomes miserable if she's inside too long. BUT she knows she has a safe place, when she's in the mood.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:50 PM

3,470 posts, read 3,058,727 times
The cat is lucky they took it to the vet. I probably would have assumed it was dead and then it really would have died.

I don't blame the adopted family for the way the cat was left outside. I think they tried to be kind. It's not always easy caring for animals other people dump.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:57 PM

5,691 posts, read 2,739,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Oh please....they adopted it? Then it was their responsibility to get that cat OUT OF THAT WEATHER!
I don't think any formal adoption papers were signed, it was an outdoor cat that already lived outside the house when they moved in. They probably just gave it food or something, I don't know that you have the obligation to provide shelter to an outdoor cat that were already outdoor cat when you arrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
No, instead they thought it had super powers and could survive outdoors in sub freezing temps without any help from them. Yet, they adopted it?
Well yeah, outdoor cats do indeed survive outdoors in sub freezing temperatures, no super powers required. Do you believe that come winter all the strays just die of exposure?

Old 02-08-2019, 09:17 PM

11,656 posts, read 4,825,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I don't think any formal adoption papers were signed, it was an outdoor cat that already lived outside the house when they moved in. They probably just gave it food or something, I don't know that you have the obligation to provide shelter to an outdoor cat that were already outdoor cat when you arrived.

Well yeah, outdoor cats do indeed survive outdoors in sub freezing temperatures, no super powers required. Do you believe that come winter all the strays just die of exposure?
Well no, outdoor cats do not survive very well where temps are substantially below zero and they can't get to some kind shelter. This was in Montana during a very cold storm and weather pattern. Cats can be frozen solid in such conditions. The cat wasn't in Tennessee where the temps were in the mid 20s. Did you even bother to look at the pictures? Probably not.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:09 PM

6,924 posts, read 4,253,135 times
Cats are really good at finding hiding places that are, if not warm, less cold than being out in the weather. Barns and sheds are good for that.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:37 PM

24,246 posts, read 23,254,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I don't know the exact circumstances here, but sometimes it's not so easy to get ahold of a feral cat, unless you set a trap.

I have a friend who happens to LOVE cats. He and his wife moved to a house in the city, that had a feral cat that was hanging around. He tried to tempt her with food to come inside, but she was always leery. Never the less, he made sure she had food to eat.

Eventually, after a year and some months, the cat was comfortable enough with him, that if he sat outside on a nice day, she'd come to him and let him pet her. And then she let him pick her up. When she had kittens, she brought the kittens to him. He adopted two of the kittens, and he was eventually able to get the mama cat spayed.

She still comes around from time to time, but she becomes miserable if she's inside too long. BUT she knows she has a safe place, when she's in the mood.
That's probably why Fluffy growled when she regained consciousness. She was inside, and there were people and lights. She was out of her comfort zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events