U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 12:20 AM

5,691 posts, read 2,739,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Well no, outdoor cats do not survive very well where temps are substantially below zero and they can't get to some kind shelter. This was in Montana during a very cold storm and weather pattern. Cats can be frozen solid in such conditions.
So you believe most of the feral cats in Montana are now dead? Surely they must be if your logic is sound.

There are 50,000 stray cats in Winnepeg, which has seen -50 degrees: https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...119139904.html

Alaska has a feral cat problem: https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2017...or-feral-cats/

I don't know why all these organizations bother trying to figure out how to deal with theses feral cats since apparently they won't survive the winter.

Quote:
The cat wasn't in Tennessee where the temps were in the mid 20s. Did you even bother to look at the pictures? Probably not.
I looked at it and saw where it said the cat must have been injured so it was unable to find shelter. Cats find shelter and survive winter temperatures, that is why they thrive as feral populations all over the world. Is it better to let keep your cat inside? Of course! Can cats freeze to death? Yes. But that's totally different than this nonsense about outdoor cats not surviving very well in the cold of winter, as evidenced by the large feral cat numbers in many cities with extreme winter temperatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 01:47 AM

1,749 posts, read 1,914,567 times
Well, cats do have 9 lives!

Old 02-09-2019, 03:02 PM

19,641 posts, read 16,111,343 times
Quote:
Well no, outdoor cats do not survive very well where temps are substantially below zero and they can't get to some kind shelter. This was in Montana during a very cold storm and weather pattern. Cats can be frozen solid in such conditions. The cat wasn't in Tennessee where the temps were in the mid 20s. Did you even bother to look at the pictures? Probably not.
Simply the fact that a feral cat takes food from these people does not mean they could get it to come inside the house.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:04 PM

21,518 posts, read 23,325,712 times
People know sub zero temps are coming. Feral cats, even those who will come up on a porch to accept a plate of food do not. They are difficult if not impossible to get to come into a house.

Those who are being so hard on the people who had been feeding her, made her a shelter and took her to the vet, think of this. Had she truly been these people's house pet she would have been howling at their door to be let in when she realized it was freezing. But if course she didn't and she couldn't get into the shelter provided for her because she was injured.

I think the people did the best they could to take care of her and in the end saved her life.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:24 PM

22,790 posts, read 27,631,862 times
Quote:
Exactly. The very least they could have done is provide it with some kind of outdoor shelter, even a styrofoam box with a blanket in it would have helped, or at a minimum let it stay in the garage for a few days.
No, instead they thought it had super powers and could survive outdoors in sub freezing temps without any help from them. Yet, they adopted it?
It would have been much kinder to take it to an animal shelter even if it may have been euthanized. That's better than freezing to death.
From the link in the OP:

"[The vet] also said the owners hadnít done anything wrong and it was likely Fluffy got injured in some way that caused it to get stuck in that position.

'I suspect that something traumatic happened,' Clark said. 'Either something fell on her or she fell or something chased her and she got injured. ... She couldn't get back to her normal little hiding spots that she goes to.'"

Old 02-09-2019, 09:20 PM

13,638 posts, read 12,449,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I was furious when I saw the photo of this poor, neglected cat. Owners should be frozen to death....kitty was covered from head to toe with huge icy balls and patches, almost unrecognizable as a cat.

This was not a stray but had owners who left her out...
I know! That photo was upsetting. Iím glad Fluffy is going to be ok.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:44 PM

1,161 posts, read 556,786 times
I just love a happy ending. Thanks for sharing this story. Hope he has many of his nine lives left.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:15 PM

14,797 posts, read 13,108,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Lol, I started to write "you registered just for this story?" then understood you been here for a while, just the cat and you have the same name.

I am glad for the cat, but have no idea why they not just bring it in during that extreme cold. Yea, it is an outside cat, but it will not kill them just to put it inside until the brutal cold and snow blows through.
I really though cannot be critical of the owners. They came upon this cat that was living outside, "adopted" it, and though it had shelter, probably did not put a whole lot of thought into thinking the cat is going to take off like this, and end up in some situation like this. Even when it did, they still rushed it to the vet.

In hindsight it was easy for me to say "Yea, it is an outside cat, but it will not kill them just to put it inside until the brutal cold and snow blows through." but reality is that it is completely understandable that it may not have even occurred to them such an event could occur, and the cat in fact may have had lots of experience being in such conditions and never had an issue before, so even less thought was put into a worse case scenario.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:45 AM

6,924 posts, read 4,253,135 times
^Yup. Lifelong cat owners learn there are all kinds of trouble cats can get into. I could tell stories.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:00 PM

24,246 posts, read 23,254,631 times
I'd like to know who was going to herd the cat into the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events