U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 02:01 PM

23,799 posts, read 22,749,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
It's the central theme of life in America over the past few decades.
Our neighbor has a severe peanut allergy and is constantly amazed that schools and other venues are announcing they are peanut free. The neighbor claims it is not societies job to monitor their peanut allergy, it is their job to monitor their own issues.
They claim they would not trust a school or other venue's claims of being peanut free. Accidents happen and public places that make such claims are only giving a false sense of security that the establishment is safe and they can let their guard down.
I'm thankful for the responsible people. I have seasonal allergies--all seasons--and food intolerances. I don't expect any venue or restaurant to fully accommodate me. I can ask. They say that they will. It doesn't always shake down that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 02:16 PM

11,862 posts, read 7,053,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I don't understand your objection.

A 5 mL dose of children's Benadryl contains 12.5 mg of the active ingredient (diphenhydramine), 1/2 the adult dose of 25 mg diphenhydramine.

A 4 oz bottle of children's Benadryl contains the equivalent of 11.8 adult doses, if I'm reading the product info correctly. Marylee said she drank the entire bottle.

Is it your theory that the cherry flavoring somehow makes diphenhydramine less effective?
My comment was that all she needed was Benadryl. She didn't need to inject herself with an epi-pen within seconds of coming into contact with the carpet and be rushed to the hospital. The carpet never put her life in danger, she just felt uncomfortable until she took some Benadryl.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:24 PM

33,064 posts, read 9,768,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Requoted for truth. The ball parks are PRIVATE organizations besides, even if their events do qualify as public spaces (for they're in the business of serving the public). Unlike race, orientation, etc issues - there's no compelling human interest to eating peanuts.

That didn't take long.

Whenever anything is banned or restricted (including speech), you can count the seconds before you see the posts about the fact that the subjects are private entities. That's deep.

The issue is that this ballpark shouldn't be playing the busybody by banning peanut products to "protect" a relative few--the few whose responsibility it is to avoid their allergens.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:49 PM

332 posts, read 274,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
My comment was that all she needed was Benadryl. She didn't need to inject herself with an epi-pen within seconds of coming into contact with the carpet and be rushed to the hospital. The carpet never put her life in danger, she just felt uncomfortable until she took some Benadryl.
That's an incorrect assumption though. I have honey bee allergy, which has put me into anaphylactic shock before. Benadryl, and other antihistamines, can stop the symptoms before they get to the point where an Epi-Pen is needed. Had I shotgunned a bottle of children's Benadryl after I got stung and when I started noticing that i was getting light headed, I would likely not have gone into anaphylaxis. I carry a bottle of it pretty much wherever I go these days, along with an EpiPen.

Point being, allergic reactions move along a spectrum. And not every reaction is the same. You can quickly go from uncomfortable hives, to a life threatening reaction. All in the same incident. Antihistamines can help to stop that progression.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:53 PM

18,761 posts, read 15,647,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I do feel bad for people with these allergies but what did these people do 20 - 30 yrs ago when ballparks also served hot roasted peanuts - you got bags of nuts on the airplane - you visit a bar and they'd have a dish of Spanish peanuts to eat while having your beer?

I'm sick of accommodating those that are a small minority. My kids have allergies - we never expected others to change anything they did to accommodate them.
There weren’t the number or severity of allergies there are today. It makes me upset too I loved peanuts at the ball game. There has to be some reason for the increase in these allergies. People do die from them.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:17 PM

8,548 posts, read 5,319,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
The underlying concern here of course is that if the ballpark continues to sell Cracker Jacks and someone ingests a peanut that they know they are allergic to, the ballpark will be forced to fork over millions in lawsuit damage awards. That’s the nature of our society now that is has jumped the tracks and personal responsibility has went the way of the dodo bird.
Might as well have a sign made that says "Peanuts and/or Peanut butter Used in this Home! Enter at your own risk."

There was a scene in "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" where before entering a person's home, a guest was required to acknowledge a set of rules...

Ishka's house

(Thunder, lightning, a downpour. Quark, Brunt and Rom duck into the curved entrance hall and then the main room.)
QUARK: Welcome to our home.
(Brunt hands over a slip of latinum, which Quark finally remembers to put in a money box by the door.)
QUARK: Please place your imprint on the legal waivers and deposit your admission fee in the box by the door. Remember, my house is my house.
BRUNT: As are its contents.

(They finish towelling off.)

Probably won't be too long now.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:06 PM

9,574 posts, read 15,424,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I was more than "uncomfortable". along with the severe hives, I had a tightening of the throat, and swelling of the lips. I really should have called 911, but I realized I had stuff at home that could be a faster treatment. Like I said, a friend who was a paramedic had told me (before this incident), that they routinely carry Benedryl for allergic reactions. I happened to have a bottle on hand. Also, I had prednisone, which I take for other reasons.

I assume it was the carpet, but who knows? It was some new carpet, just recently installed, and I was barefoot on it. The hives started on my feet, then quickly moved up my legs, trunk, face, head, even hands were swollen. Also, tightening of the throat, and swollen lips. If that wasn't an emergency, IDK what is!

I am not a person who suffers allergies. This just happened out of the clear blue. I guess the point I was making is that such reactions can happen to anyone, and be caused by anything. I would certainly be careful of new carpet from that point on (we now have all hard-surface flooring), but who knows what else could trigger such a reaction? I'm saying that regardless of how we sanitize the world, stuff can/does happen!

Believe me, I am considerate of those with allergies. But essentially, it is their problem, not mine. I can't wrap myself up in a bubble so they don't have a reaction to me!

Old 02-14-2019, 05:45 PM

4,184 posts, read 2,311,476 times
This is my solution to almost all problems in life

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0O5h4enjrHw

Old 02-14-2019, 05:56 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,648 posts, read 32,705,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
That's like banning popcorn at movie theaters.
If popcorn allergies were as common and severe as peanut allergies are, that's not an unreasonable thing to expect.

Is it better to preserve traditions at all costs than eliminate them because they are fatal to some people?

Old 02-14-2019, 06:25 PM

926 posts, read 288,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I am sick of it too. We are altering our society for the very, very few in the hopes they aren't "offended" anymore. Man up people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Yes, but if it's just one person there should be legislation or some kind of rules to protect that ONE person.

Current thought is to inconvenience the remainder of the world to accommodate that particular instance where it might, JUST MIGHT, influence ONE person who is "la-te-da-ing" through life expecting the rest of us to be benevolent and care for their well-being.
Yes to all. This is whatís been happening now for several years. If a few are affected the rules change for everyone. This is just ridiculous. Somebody could walk into Kohlís and be standing next to someone whoís just finished a bag of peanuts or a snickers bar in their car. What about that? Good grief, we canít control everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events