U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 10:51 AM

930 posts, read 253,814 times

Advertisements

See post #8

It's right there in the darn song! Why not just cancel the whole thing?

Ridiculous. I don't even like baseball, but this is silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 11:19 AM

5,211 posts, read 1,840,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
See post #8

It's right there in the darn song! Why not just cancel the whole thing?

Ridiculous. I don't even like baseball, but this is silly.

Yes. Cancel the whole thing over a song from 1908. Hmmm...now THAT makes me ponder..."Hmmm Sassy...if the makers of Crackerjacks stopped making Crackerjacks...will that mean that Baseball has to stop? Are the 2 so interlocking, that you can't have one without the other?"

Old 02-13-2019, 11:19 AM

9,574 posts, read 15,424,453 times
Frankly, I really wonder how many of those "peanut allergies" are real? Don't get me wrong, I realize some do have them and they can be life-threatening, but I think those are a true rarity. All it takes is an over-anxious mother who sees a slight connection between peanuts and her kid breathing rather rapidly, tell the doctor, who dx an allergy just to err on the conservative, and bingo! They now have a label! Shows they're a good mother!

And for those of you who think I'm just being mean, my mother thought I was allergic to the whole world! In a car trip through some winding mountains I got car sick --age 7. There were a lot of pine trees, so----I was allergic to pine! More like the winding roads, humidity, and listening to my parents argue for hundreds of miles

Oh, and I was allergic to the sun! There again, dx by Dr Mom. I sometimes sneezed if the sun hit my face, which is a common reaction. I just sneezed a few times and went on, I didn't sneeze myself into a coma or anything.

And so on.....I know first-hand just how miserable the life of an "allergic" kid can be. its more of a weapon for the mother than any type of accommodation to the child.

For those with true, life-threatening allergies, well, they need to learn they can't control the whole world! Even with laws, etc, there's always going to be the possibility something will slip through. It also depends on the degree of severity of the allergy. some may have a mild reaction, some may go into a life-threatening episode, only the allergy sufferer knows how they react and how to handle it. Essentially, let them live in a bubble, not me!

Old 02-13-2019, 11:39 AM

5,211 posts, read 1,840,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Frankly, I really wonder how many of those "peanut allergies" are real? Don't get me wrong, I realize some do have them and they can be life-threatening, but I think those are a true rarity. All it takes is an over-anxious mother who sees a slight connection between peanuts and her kid breathing rather rapidly, tell the doctor, who dx an allergy just to err on the conservative, and bingo! They now have a label! Shows they're a good mother!

And for those of you who think I'm just being mean, my mother thought I was allergic to the whole world! In a car trip through some winding mountains I got car sick --age 7. There were a lot of pine trees, so----I was allergic to pine! More like the winding roads, humidity, and listening to my parents argue for hundreds of miles

Oh, and I was allergic to the sun! There again, dx by Dr Mom. I sometimes sneezed if the sun hit my face, which is a common reaction. I just sneezed a few times and went on, I didn't sneeze myself into a coma or anything.

And so on.....I know first-hand just how miserable the life of an "allergic" kid can be. its more of a weapon for the mother than any type of accommodation to the child.

For those with true, life-threatening allergies, well, they need to learn they can't control the whole world! Even with laws, etc, there's always going to be the possibility something will slip through. It also depends on the degree of severity of the allergy. some may have a mild reaction, some may go into a life-threatening episode, only the allergy sufferer knows how they react and how to handle it. Essentially, let them live in a bubble, not me!

I doubt that there's even ONE allergic person out there with a Napolean complex.

You say you realize that there are kids out there with life-threatening allergies, but then you relate YOUR experience with YOUR over protective mother and extrapolate that's PROBABLY the issue with most cases of peanut allergies. That seems to say to ME that you don't actually know anyone with a life-threatening allergy.

I know someone. Not MY kids, or my relatives, or grandkids, but I know someone. He's a little boy in grade school. He's been in the hospital multiple times...the latest was last year, when the school had a craft fair/field day, and the little guy picked up a bean bag for a game....that wasn't filled with beans, it was filled with flour. Ah. Well. He's allergic to flour. He nearly instanteously swelled up and broke out, and off to the hospital.

This child has allergies that his 2 older brothers don't have. His mother HAS to be vigilant to HIS diet and watch what he touches, eats, etc. She's not being a helicopter mom because she's crazy, and she doesn't inflict "special diet" on her other 2 children.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:40 AM

11,601 posts, read 9,608,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Frankly, I really wonder how many of those "peanut allergies" are real?
I remember coming across this last month.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...y-do-not-study

Old 02-13-2019, 11:44 AM

1,853 posts, read 2,374,438 times
I've rather recently discovered I love boiled peanuts -- and only get them hot at the ballpark here in Charleston, SC.
NO BANS, please!

Old 02-13-2019, 11:45 AM

5,853 posts, read 981,301 times
I do feel sympathy for people with any kind of special need, but most of the time, I think that people who expect everyone else to cater to their or their child's "specialness" are selfish in most (but certainly not all) cases. Since when did it become okay for the wants of a very small minority to outweigh the wants of the GREAT majority? (Unless, of course, in the case of an immediate life-threatening situation or in cases of illegal discrimination, for example.)

I think that 99% of the population should not be inconvenienced because of a special condition of the remaining 1% unless the 1% could not live unless his/her special need was accommodated in some way. If I was part of the population who could not eat peanuts (or had a child who could not eat peanuts), I would simply take personal control to prevent an allergic reaction from happening, meaning that I would either stay home or do whatever it took to not come in contact with something that could kill me or my child.

Btw, I lived with a severely disabled brother abut 50 years ago, and my parents would not have even thought of asking (let alone demanding) that everyone else kowtow to him.

But, as others have indicated, this is not an issue of great important to all but a relatively few.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:50 AM

6,311 posts, read 3,902,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
It's the central theme of life in America over the past few decades.
Our neighbor has a severe peanut allergy and is constantly amazed that schools and other venues are announcing they are peanut free. The neighbor claims it is not societies job to monitor their peanut allergy, it is their job to monitor their own issues.
They claim they would not trust a school or other venue's claims of being peanut free. Accidents happen and public places that make such claims are only giving a false sense of security that the establishment is safe and they can let their guard down.

Your neighbor has a good deal of sense. You're lucky to have such a neighbor.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:04 PM

6,311 posts, read 3,902,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I know someone. Not MY kids, or my relatives, or grandkids, but I know someone. He's a little boy in grade school. He's been in the hospital multiple times...the latest was last year, when the school had a craft fair/field day, and the little guy picked up a bean bag for a game....that wasn't filled with beans, it was filled with flour. Ah. Well. He's allergic to flour. He nearly instanteously swelled up and broke out, and off to the hospital.

This child has allergies that his 2 older brothers don't have. His mother HAS to be vigilant to HIS diet and watch what he touches, eats, etc. She's not being a helicopter mom because she's crazy, and she doesn't inflict "special diet" on her other 2 children.
Let me try some "Sassybluesy"-style mockery here.

So you're suggesting that because ONE little boy had a reaction to a flour-filled toy, that means there are NO people who believe they or their children have food allergies they don't actually have?!?

That seems to say to ME that you don't actually know anyone whose over-protective mother believed they had a life-threatening allergy. I'm rolling my eyes now.

--

OK, studio audience, how did I do?

Old 02-13-2019, 12:15 PM

1,985 posts, read 797,850 times
The underlying concern here of course is that if the ballpark continues to sell Cracker Jacks and someone ingests a peanut that they know they are allergic to, the ballpark will be forced to fork over millions in lawsuit damage awards. Thatís the nature of our society now that is has jumped the tracks and personal responsibility has went the way of the dodo bird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events