Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:01 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
So learn to carry an E-Pen, Benedryl, prednisone, whatever.

Several years ago I had an allergic reaction to new carpet. I was walking barefoot when I developed hives on my feet, which spread up my legs, trunk, face, scalp. Then my lips started to swell and my throat tightened. I happened to have a bottle of liquid children's Benedryl, I drank the bottle, 4 0z. A friend who's an EMS driver told me they carry it on runs and a bottle of children's is about right for an adult. Then, I took prednisone, then, everything got better. Should I now insist no carpet in public buildings?

When I had my reactions to ibuprofen, Benadryl was still by prescription only, and the Epipen wasn't released yet. Prednisone is still by prescription only. As you discovered, your first allergic reaction to a substance can be severe. That learning curve sounds kinda steep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 11:04 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
So learn to carry an E-Pen, Benedryl, prednisone, whatever.

Several years ago I had an allergic reaction to new carpet. I was walking barefoot when I developed hives on my feet, which spread up my legs, trunk, face, scalp. Then my lips started to swell and my throat tightened. I happened to have a bottle of liquid children's Benedryl, I drank the bottle, 4 0z. A friend who's an EMS driver told me they carry it on runs and a bottle of children's is about right for an adult. Then, I took prednisone, then, everything got better. Should I now insist no carpet in public buildings?
Considering all you had to do was take some children's Benedryl, it doesn't sound like you have a deadly "carpet" allergy.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:06 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Considering all you had to do was take some children's Benedryl, it doesn't sound like you have a deadly "carpet" allergy.
I don't understand your objection.

A 5 mL dose of children's Benadryl contains 12.5 mg of the active ingredient (diphenhydramine), 1/2 the adult dose of 25 mg diphenhydramine.

A 4 oz bottle of children's Benadryl contains the equivalent of 11.8 adult doses, if I'm reading the product info correctly. Marylee said she drank the entire bottle.

Is it your theory that the cherry flavoring somehow makes diphenhydramine less effective?

Old 02-14-2019, 03:05 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times
Quote:
Frankly, I really wonder how many of those "peanut allergies" are real? Don't get me wrong, I realize some do have them and they can be life-threatening, but I think those are a true rarity. All it takes is an over-anxious mother who sees a slight connection between peanuts and her kid breathing rather rapidly, tell the doctor, who dx an allergy just to err on the conservative, and bingo! They now have a label! Shows they're a good mother!

And for those of you who think I'm just being mean, my mother thought I was allergic to the whole world! In a car trip through some winding mountains I got car sick --age 7. There were a lot of pine trees, so----I was allergic to pine! More like the winding roads, humidity, and listening to my parents argue for hundreds of miles

Oh, and I was allergic to the sun! There again, dx by Dr Mom. I sometimes sneezed if the sun hit my face, which is a common reaction. I just sneezed a few times and went on, I didn't sneeze myself into a coma or anything.

And so on.....I know first-hand just how miserable the life of an "allergic" kid can be. its more of a weapon for the mother than any type of accommodation to the child.

For those with true, life-threatening allergies, well, they need to learn they can't control the whole world! Even with laws, etc, there's always going to be the possibility something will slip through. It also depends on the degree of severity of the allergy. some may have a mild reaction, some may go into a life-threatening episode, only the allergy sufferer knows how they react and how to handle it. Essentially, let them live in a bubble, not me!

You're describing a mother who may have been afflicted with Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy (look it up). It's also a severe affliction on anyone so unfortunate as to be the targeted child. I think that many diagnoses of allergy are imposed by such mothers, rather than being a genuine condition of the child. Like you, I suffered the misery of the claims of dozens of imaginary maladies forced on me. Such women will fight hook and claw, against anyone who tries to deny that their child is defective, as much of their sense of self-worth depends on having to provide care for them. They may also use the claims of allergies and other illnesses, to exert complete control over the child's life, stifling them socially and in other ways.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:54 AM

938 posts, read 446,040 times
Quote:
If you're shoving cracker jacks into your prison purse to smuggle them into an AA baseball game, I think it's time to reevaluate your life choices.
Why? It's common practice to sneak less expensive candy into movie theaters.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:30 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Well I have a dairy allergy , does that mean I expect the grocery to stop selling milk ? of course not , nor do I expect anyone to make accomdations for me it is getting ridiculous in this country where everyone has to be accommodated . Im so over it . Food allergies are a different story though I can understand not wanting to expose your food allergic kids to something that will torture them medically . I think in that case you should say something before being exposed .

Old 02-14-2019, 06:38 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,531 times
Quote:
If you're shoving cracker jacks into your prison purse to smuggle them into an AA baseball game, I think it's time to reevaluate your life choices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
Why? It's common practice to sneak less expensive candy into movie theaters.
Dude, if that's how you're getting Jujyfruits into the theater then, yes, some life-choice re-evaluation is absolutely in order!

Old 02-14-2019, 07:00 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
People don't always realize that allergies are not necessarily stable. I had an allergic reaction to ibuprofen in the 80's, mild itchy hives on my forearms. First time, I didn't connect it to the med. Second time, the idea dawned. Third time - getting worse now - I called an ambulance, but by the time they arrived, it was gone, so I went to my doctor. He told me it was stress because my husband was away. I was young, and so I went along, though I wasn't sure I quite believed him completely, and stopped taking it. However, I had a blinding migraine when I was in the ER with my husband (asthma), and took a large dose to get some relief. I was *covered* with large, itchy hives, my entire body swelled, and I started having trouble breathing. I nearly fainted, as my blood pressure dropped.

So, yeah. It's easy to say "just don't do it", but it's a facile answer.
I'm sorry you had that experience but should ibuprofen now be banned at public places? I don't think you would advocate for that. So why then advocate for the removal of something that very few people are allergic to because some people will have an allergic reaction?
It would be extremely rare for someone not to know they are allergic to peanuts until they attend a baseball game.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:10 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
What you don't get is the catering to everyone no matter how small their problem is occurring more and more and I'm sick of it. Let them take personal responsibility if they have a problem with peanuts - why should a whole stadium be denied anything because 1 or 2 people have a problem with it.

Give an inch they take a mile and this is what is happening in society today. You're condoning the lack of personal responsibility.

Maybe we have to approach this differently - what is near and dear to you that might be offensive or harmful to 1 out of a thousand people and because that person objects - you have to do without.
I am sick of it too. We are altering our society for the very, very few in the hopes they aren't "offended" anymore. Man up people.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:19 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm sorry you had that experience but should ibuprofen now be banned at public places? I don't think you would advocate for that. So why then advocate for the removal of something that very few people are allergic to because some people will have an allergic reaction?
It would be extremely rare for someone not to know they are allergic to peanuts until they attend a baseball game.
Yes, but if it's just one person there should be legislation or some kind of rules to protect that ONE person.

Current thought is to inconvenience the remainder of the world to accommodate that particular instance where it might, JUST MIGHT, influence ONE person who is "la-te-da-ing" through life expecting the rest of us to be benevolent and care for their well-being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events