Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 10:25 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Do you think anything with peanuts should be banned at ballparks (by owners) because some people are allergic to them or should peanut allergic people just not go to ballparks?
No, peanuts shouldn't be banned. People that allergic should stay home in their bubbles.

Think about it, are they going to disinfect the whole ball park because someone may have had peanuts that sat in that chair or us ed the toilets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I do feel bad for people with these allergies but what did these people do 20 - 30 yrs ago when ballparks also served hot roasted peanuts - you got bags of nuts on the airplane - you visit a bar and they'd have a dish of Spanish peanuts to eat while having your beer?

I'm sick of accommodating those that are a small minority. My kids have allergies - we never expected others to change anything they did to accommodate them.
I don't think as many people were allergic as now. I've heard you should give peanut butter to young kids (11 months old) before they get the one set of vaccines that people think are related to peanut allergies. I made sure both of my grand kids had peanut butter young. Course I had my c ell in my hand in case they were allergic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Want to nip this nonsense in the bud? The solution is simple and within our power.

Don't buy tickets to the ballpark. Let those with the peanut allergies do that.

I guarantee they'll go back to selling those peanuts and Crackerjacks.
Agree. It's a simple solution and at some point, maybe in 20 years; most will be allergic to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 10:08 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I do feel bad for people with these allergies but what did these people do 20 - 30 yrs ago when ballparks also served hot roasted peanuts - you got bags of nuts on the airplane - you visit a bar and they'd have a dish of Spanish peanuts to eat while having your beer?

I'm sick of accommodating those that are a small minority. My kids have allergies - we never expected others to change anything they did to accommodate them.
Peanut allergies and nut allergies were not as prevalent 40 yrs ago

We happened to know someone who did have an allergy to peanuts (not really a nut)
He knew it and was careful what he ate which wasn’t all that easy 40 yrs ago
Menus didn’t list the same type of info they do now

He was in Houston on a business trip—lived in TN at that time—went to bar at his hotel and ate some of the appetizers that were free for the “cocktail hour” crowd...

Went back to his room, changed to his running clothes, and began to jog down Memorial Parkway that hotel fronted on...
A pretty busy thoroughfare even 40 yrs ago—multilane w/ larger median between E/W lanes

He collapsed—went into anaphylactic shock because he ate egg roll that had been fried in peanut oil
He was just VERY lucky that an EMT/fireman was in car heading to his firehouse to start a shift and saw him drop on side of road
He pulled over, started compression and managed to get someone to call for ambulance—
Remember this was before cell phones...

He had had smaller reactions before that alerted him to the allergy
The doctors said that reaction was heightened because of the alcohol and the jogging which raised his metabolism

So yes—I can understand why some food items are not allowed in certain locations

Old 02-21-2019, 11:00 AM

9,907 posts, read 9,579,736 times
I don't know how anyone with peanut allergies (or other food allergies) survive going to restaurants and other place with food, as I understand that they can breathe in peanut dust floating around from the peanuts in the cooking area and tables. And if they cook with peanut oil, then use that oil to cook other food, the allergy-causing peanut oil can affect the allergic person. Or so this is what i have read/understand about it.

I understand how Crackerjack being a sentimental item associated with ball games, now being taken away because of food allergy can be so frustrating.. Not sure what i'd do or feel if i were affected.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:15 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
And if they cook with peanut oil, then use that oil to cook other food, the allergy-causing peanut oil can affect the allergic person. Or so this is what i have read/understand about it.
Most people with peanut allergies can safely eat food that has been cooked in peanut oil. The protein that causes most peanut allergies, is not found in refined peanut oil.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:28 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
But some die from the peanut oil.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/all...rdler-1.197681

I think if I had such a severe allergy, I would only eat home made foods. I think there should be a compromise & section off a portion of the stadium to be nut free, & let the rest eat what they want.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:03 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
That story is about a guy who died after eating a chicken salad sandwich that contained actual peanuts, not peanut oil.

And as I said, most people aren't affected. It still might be an issue for some, but that is something to find out in a controlled setting with a doctor/allergist.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:15 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
But some die from the peanut oil.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/all...rdler-1.197681

I think if I had such a severe allergy, I would only eat home made foods. I think there should be a compromise & section off a portion of the stadium to be nut free, & let the rest eat what they want.
I believe that's a lawsuit waiting to happen, which is why nobody does it. Too bad though 'cause it seems like a good idea.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:56 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Yeah, because they didn't live long enough for you to know them. Or people nowadays think they have allergies more than they do. Probably both actually!
The only kids (who weren't infants) I know who died from anything were shot by their father. He killed his whole family and then shot himself.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:55 AM

474 posts, read 1,259,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Most people with peanut allergies can safely eat food that has been cooked in peanut oil. The protein that causes most peanut allergies, is not found in refined peanut oil.
I am allergic to onions, the worst offenders being raw or quickly fried as in onion rings. If they have been baked for a while, such as adding them to meat that is being baked in an oven, I'm fine because the ingredient my body reacts to is cooked out. I know garlic is related to onions, but it doesn't bother me and besides being delicious it adds so much to many dishes. As do onions, but oh well, could be worse.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:15 AM

474 posts, read 1,259,871 times
Default What About Perfumes?

Not about peanut allergies but sort of related to the discussion.

For as long as I can remember, there were no signs in doctors' offices regarding the wearing of scents of any kind. Then suddenly there are notices about not wearing any kind of perfume so as not to affect those who might be allergic to certain ingredients in them. It even goes so far that one will have his/her appointment canceled if you come in wearing a discernible perfume or other product.

This really bothers me. I really don't know anyone who has gotten ill from smelling roses, for instance. This is caving in to the rare percentage who actually have this allergy. So you lose your appointment if you come in lightly wearing a fragrance? If one is truly allergic, then wear a mask when at the doctor's. I work around my onion allergy and don't expect them to be banned from a restaurant.

I'm sure peanut allergies are much more common, which makes these notices the more ludicrous. Giving in to a small percentage of people is ridiculous. Honestly, it is going way too far.

One of my doctors has a notice about not discussing politics in the waiting room. When I asked about this, the receptionist said that people have actually starting screaming loudly at each other, disrupting everybody.
It's a crazy world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events