Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 09:19 AM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

As per usual, vent on social media.

https://www.marketing-interactive.co...g-****-shamed/

Quote:
An Australian woman has slammed Jetstar, a local budget airline, accusing them of “**** shaming” her then offering her a $35 voucher instead of an apology.

Shoshana Strykert, 28, said she was left feeling humiliated and embarrassed on Friday after she booked a last-minute flight with Jetstar to visit her sick mother in the hospital.
Not the first time this sort of thing has happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 09:29 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Your first article isn't there anymore. I didn't see the outfit. I read the second article. I also remember a story from several years ago regarding a Hooter's waitress wearing her work 'uniform' on a plane. Not being there, all I can say is not all people will not like you. The flight crews get to make the calls and sometimes you just have to deal with it whether you agree or not.

I'm not a fan of the word 'shaming'. It is overused and usually involves someone called out for doing something they probably should not have been doing. If she thinks the word '****' applies to her situation, then maybe she was giving off some other vibes.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:45 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
If she was returning to or from Bali as claimed, it seems perfectly appropriate attire. It would be fine in most high schools, no belly button showing.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...ad&fr2=piv-web

Old 02-17-2019, 09:45 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Your first article isn't there anymore. I didn't see the outfit. I read the second article. I also remember a story from several years ago regarding a Hooter's waitress wearing her work 'uniform' on a plane. Not being there, all I can say is not all people will not like you. The flight crews get to make the calls and sometimes you just have to deal with it whether you agree or not.

I'm not a fan of the word 'shaming'. It is overused and usually involves someone called out for doing something they probably should not have been doing. If she thinks the word '****' applies to her situation, then maybe she was giving off some other vibes.
So what's your preferred - ie, politically correct - terminology?

Old 02-17-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
So what's your preferred - ie, politically correct - terminology?
I don't a have a politically correct word. I simply don't like the word. Often the person using the word is a super sensitive individual. That person is often doing something or has a trait or something that they know is considered undesirable. They use the word 'shaming' to deflect blame to the other person when what they meant was 'I was embarrassed because the other person pointed out my insecurity."

The original lady missed her flight so maybe she had damages. I still laugh at what happened to one of my friends. This lady would probably say my friend had been '**** shamed' although my friend was not embarrassed and had no repercussions. My friend and I went to the same college. Every year these holy roller types would show up on campus and preach and yell out at people and make a general scene of themselves. They'd get quite a crowd going and people would mock them. My friend came across them one day and they were up to their usual. This woman called my friend a '****' because my friend had committed the sin of wearing shorts. Our culture allows women to wear shorts. I know my friend. I have never seen her wear anything that we would consider immodest. According to this other lady's rules that were not shared, my friend was immodest. My friend could probably say she was '**** shamed'. My friend probably would not say that because she was appropriately dressed according the standards of culture as we know it and she was not embarrassed because she understood where the other lady was coming from and was able to laugh it off. She also had no damages.

In looking at the picture in (*correction*) the other poster's link, I think the passenger may have been embarrassed because a bare midriff is considered unacceptable in certain situations. She got called on it. When she said '**** shamed' what she meant is I was dressed inappropriately for a flight and I was embarrassed because I got caught.

Last edited by Sarahsez; 02-17-2019 at 11:07 AM..

Old 02-17-2019, 02:53 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
I don't see that her outfit is in the least bit inappropriate, but I guess we all know who the two troglodytes around here are now.

Edit: I take that back. It appears there's only one and that she created a new username simply and obviously to agree with her. That's a weird way to want to spend time on a Sunday.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I don't see that her outfit is in the least bit inappropriate, but I guess we all know who the two troglodytes around here are now.

Edit: I take that back. It appears there's only one and that she created a new username simply and obviously to agree with her. That's a weird way to want to spend time on a Sunday.
The name calling is yours. I did not create a new user name.

I personally don't care about her bare midriff, but that is a look considered unacceptable in several settings. She found someone in charge who found it unacceptable and did something about it. No one **** shamed her. The embarrassment is hers.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:39 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
The name calling is yours. I did not create a new user name.

I personally don't care about her bare midriff, but that is a look considered unacceptable in several settings. She found someone in charge who found it unacceptable and did something about it. No one **** shamed her. The embarrassment is hers.
In what settings? Church, maybe? Jets aren't churches. They aren't boardrooms or courtrooms, either. There's nothing wrong with wearing something like this to fly in.

Lots of clothing people wear to fly in is "unacceptable in several settings." Baggy sweatpants. Shorts. Sleeveless tops. All stuff that doesn't fly in "some settings" but is seen on airplanes all the time.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:50 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
I imagine there is more to the story than we have been told. I often travel Jetstar to Queensland and her outfit would not be unusual. I do remember a child being helped to find shoes for a flight in the Northern Territory as they did not allow bare feet.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:53 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Well this thread disintegrated in a hurry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events