U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 02:25 PM

17,242 posts, read 18,696,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
The name calling is yours. I did not create a new user name.

I personally don't care about her bare midriff, but that is a look considered unacceptable in several settings. She found someone in charge who found it unacceptable and did something about it. No one **** shamed her. The embarrassment is hers.

You could say that about anything. Wearing shorts and a tank top at a black tie dinner is inappropriate. If the clothing the woman wore in the pic was what wasxworn I dont see anything inappropriate about it.

People need to stop getting offended over anything that they dont like. It’s your personal choice not to wear such clothing. That doesn’t mean it’s illegal for other women to wear such clothing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 02:29 PM

21,185 posts, read 27,212,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Jets aren't churches.... but pilots don't make the rules in churches, just on the jets they captain. If you want to make the rules on jets, go become an airline pilot. Otherwise, you don't get to do whatever you want to do on someone else's property. Smokers learned this long ago, and I bet you cheered for that lost liberty. Apparently the flight crew overstepped in this case, and the company wanted to soothe her hurt feelings without explicitly apologizing or admitting the crew did something wrong. Good PR.
This had nothing to do with the pilot; so whatever. Doesn't sound like you're aware that commercial airline pilots don't own the jets. Not sure what you're babbling about smoking for.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 02-18-2019 at 02:44 PM..

Old 02-18-2019, 09:31 PM

3,322 posts, read 1,207,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This had nothing to do with the pilot; so whatever. Doesn't sound like you're aware that commercial airline pilots don't own the jets. Not sure what you're babbling about smoking for.
He is "the captain of the ship" and is the unchallenged dictator of what happens on his airplane when out of port.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:35 PM

21,185 posts, read 27,212,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
He is "the captain of the ship" and is the unchallenged dictator of what happens on his airplane when out of port.
Not disputing that, but again, this story has nothing to do with the pilot.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:50 AM

16 posts, read 3,426 times
This girl seems annoying.

If she really had confidence in the way she dressed, she wouldn't make such a big deal out of it.

Nobody likes a hoe, and a global awareness of the term "**** shaming" will never change that.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:41 PM
Lou

234 posts, read 92,051 times
Here's another article about it:
https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...4835cc5d8be835

I don't see this as a matter of "****-shaming." She's apparently a casual dresser who prefers the fitness-enthusiast look, and she came across a misunderstanding over whether her top was actually an undergarment. The picture in the article shows the top from the side and with her arms covering the front of her midsection, which is a curious way to demonstrate the top's acceptability. We don't know whether that was the only picture she took, or whether that's the picture the news site chose. In the picture linked in one of the posts above, it does look to me like a sports bra. I wouldn't make that call if I were a flight attendant, but I'd defer to a woman on it.

In the letter from Jetstar, they did apologize to her. In her video at the bottom of the article, her recounting of it didn't say anything about ****-shaming and focused instead on the rudeness with which the flight attendant spoke to her. What I see here is that the ****-shaming comment was a little sloppy and not at the core of her grievance, but the news source's title makes it sound like the core issue.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:45 PM

10,673 posts, read 6,739,244 times
Probably the author of the article brought in that terminology to make it more click-baity.

I sometimes think more people should have grown up in a semi-sketchy neighborhood near DC, like I did. One thing you learn there, is that you mind your own damn business, because if you don't, you might get shot. You sure as hell don't go around trying to "shame" anybody or "call them out" for whatever gets your britches in a bunch or offends your delicate virgin eyeballs, if you know what's good for you.

Somebody getting all fussy about an outfit like this...seems like somebody who likes to stick their nose in other people's business and make unnecessary drama. She wasn't indecent or unhygienic. Unless the airline has a posted dress code forbidding the exposure of the midriff somewhere, somebody needs to calm down and quit being a nosy Nancy.

But that's just like...my opinion, man.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:41 PM

3,415 posts, read 2,986,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Here's another article about it:
https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...4835cc5d8be835

I don't see this as a matter of "****-shaming." She's apparently a casual dresser who prefers the fitness-enthusiast look, and she came across a misunderstanding over whether her top was actually an undergarment. The picture in the article shows the top from the side and with her arms covering the front of her midsection, which is a curious way to demonstrate the top's acceptability. We don't know whether that was the only picture she took, or whether that's the picture the news site chose. In the picture linked in one of the posts above, it does look to me like a sports bra. I wouldn't make that call if I were a flight attendant, but I'd defer to a woman on it.

In the letter from Jetstar, they did apologize to her. In her video at the bottom of the article, her recounting of it didn't say anything about ****-shaming and focused instead on the rudeness with which the flight attendant spoke to her. What I see here is that the ****-shaming comment was a little sloppy and not at the core of her grievance, but the news source's title makes it sound like the core issue.
I think the video at the bottom is a different woman.

I suspect the original woman is possibly a difficult person. The airline apologized and she went off again. The top does look bra like. She was offered a blanket and another passenger offered her a jacket.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:26 PM

8,473 posts, read 5,867,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I think the video at the bottom is a different woman.

I suspect the original woman is possibly a difficult person. The airline apologized and she went off again. The top does look bra like. She was offered a blanket and another passenger offered her a jacket.
It IS a bra. And while there's nothing wrong with it, this falls into the lines of "at what point do we draw the line?" Similar to the bra-less spaghetti-strapped tank-top issue we had going on a while back. If this bra is allowed, another woman may decide that her VS lace bra is the equivalent, since they're both essentially the same thing -- a bra.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:00 PM

940 posts, read 255,200 times
I once flew to South Carolina with a woman wearing a Straight-Up Fishnet blouse. Nothin' under it.

Ah, the good old pre-9/11 days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or