U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 11:58 PM

945 posts, read 258,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
On Valentines Day ...?
Sometimes you have to give yourself a present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 12:11 AM

11,874 posts, read 7,065,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Why? Eyes and Necks are standard equipment on humans. Why not use them?
Are giraffe necks standard on humans?

She fell behind the car. Can you see the ground behind your car when you are in the driver's seat? I can't. I'd have to stick half my body out the window in order to see what is on the ground directly behind my car. Even then, I'm not sure I'd still be able to see everything. And I doubt a 66-year-old man is as flexible as I am in my thirties. So if I'm not able to contort my body in such a way that I'm able to see behind my car, I doubt an older man is able to do so.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:15 AM

6,342 posts, read 3,918,812 times
Police say 66-year-old Terry Mitchell let his wife Debra out of the vehicle.

She then apparently fell to the ground, possibly due to a medical issue, while walking toward the back of the car.

Police say Debra was out of view of her husband, and Mitchell ran over her as he backed out of the driveway.

https://abc7ny.com/husband-accidenta...g-her/5140231/

Old 02-19-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
She fell behind the car.
Actually, that's not what the news stories say.

They say she fell while walking towards the back of the car, presumably along the passenger side since he let her out while he was in the driver's seat. If the driveway is straight, her husband would have had to crank the wheel to the left while backing out in order to run over her.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:26 AM

11,874 posts, read 7,065,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Actually, that's not what the news stories say.

They say she fell while walking towards the back of the car, presumably along the passenger side since he let her out while he was in the driver's seat. If the driveway is straight, her husband would have had to crank the wheel to the left while backing out in order to run over her.
Since the article also says it was an accident, then it seems logical that she was behind the car, and that he did not somehow manage to run over someone who was to the side of his car.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:32 AM

6,220 posts, read 1,510,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
That poor woman.

Still, I don't really get how this happens if you're paying attention before you start backing out of your driveway. I have a van. We live on a curve. If there are people or animals nearby, I make a mental note and back out very slowly, stopping if I lose sight of the person or the animal. I only resume backing once I see they're out of harm's way. I'm also watching for vehicular traffic. I have mirrors, of course, and a backup camera but they don't catch everything.

Where did he think his wife was?
Perhaps right where she was.

Seems a little suspicious to me. If I am backing up my vehicle and I know there is a person or a pet in the close vicinity and I do not see them in my mirrors I am not backing up. At the least involuntary manslaughter might apply here.

A similar case where a husband was initially thought to have accidentally run over his wife:

https://www.monstersandcritics.com/t...ahan-featured/

Deadly Secrets on Investigation Discovery takes a closer look at the case of 34-year-old Lizzie Welsh, whose death was ruled an accident until further investigation revealed she was murdered by her husband, Casey Callahan.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 02-19-2019 at 08:55 AM..

Old 02-19-2019, 08:48 AM

2,805 posts, read 1,598,186 times
"Accident" on Valentines day. Not buying any of it.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:37 AM

32,081 posts, read 2,510,357 times
If I drop someone off, I watch them go inside or at least up the steps/away from the vehicle before I move the car. I wonder if he has any age related cognitive disabilities?

Old 02-19-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
If I drop someone off, I watch them go inside or at least up the steps/away from the vehicle before I move the car. I wonder if he has any age related cognitive disabilities?

Well, yeah. That's what people do if they've been raised properly. I doubt most people even think about it, they just wait.

Last edited by fluffythewondercat; 02-19-2019 at 10:23 AM..

Old 02-19-2019, 01:13 PM

1,185 posts, read 839,133 times
He had to be doing some speed to run over her with enough force to kill her. My SUV will barely go over the 2 inch lip at the entrance to my garage if I’m not putting my foot on the gas. No way I could go all the way over an entire adult person without some real force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or