U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 11:31 AM

8,289 posts, read 2,072,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
She will be out on parole in six years, maybe less.

Long sentences do deter crime. At least crime against the general public. They cannot commit crimes wile in prison, except against other inmates. Reminds me of the silly studies that say death penalty does not deter crime. What? The recidivism rate of death penalty recipients is zero. Not one of them commits another crime after they are dead. Likewise not one person sitting in prison burglarizes homes or takes packages from porches. they are 1005 deterred while sitting in prison. (Except crime against other inmates).
They also make new friends and contacts while in prison, they learn to be a better criminal in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 12:05 PM

4,739 posts, read 3,714,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Read the article.

The 24-year sentence is primarily due to numerous burglaries - acts of breaking-and-entering - not the external thefts.
I did read it. You act like the external thefts are less of a crime than the b and e.
Whatever the case I am glad she’s being punished.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:26 PM

23,250 posts, read 32,652,561 times
Prior convictions? Illegal entry in some cases? I don’t have an issue with the sentence with those two facts considered.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:30 PM

6,311 posts, read 3,902,183 times
Not to mention that when she was out on bail, she went right back to stealing and breaking into peoples’ houses.

That influenced the long sentence, I’m sure.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:11 PM

1,022 posts, read 241,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You guys are awfully rough on Ms. Lampley.

Hey, it’s tough “finding” enough merchandise to sell in your eBay store. . (And yes, there’s a lot of stolen merchandise on the Bay.)

The article mentioned she broke into homes as well as swiping packages from porches. This explains to me why there were a bunch of Ring doorbell videos in our AZ neighborhood showing people peering in through the front windows of homes. They want to know if there’s anything worth breaking in for.

You have a valid point. Who here hasn't taken a package from a neighbor's porch when they weren't home? It isn't like they can't order another one.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:09 PM

38,280 posts, read 39,550,722 times
I would love to live an area where this happens frequently, no more need to pay someone to take away my garbage. Hell, I could probably even eliminate that sewer bill too.

--edit--

Even a better idea, how about nice fancy candy box with some dog crap covered with chocolate that has been infused with ghost chili sauce and laxatives? Yum!

Old 02-19-2019, 02:16 AM

11,593 posts, read 11,957,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

Now if they'd catch and convict the _____ who stole the little boy's cancer drugs....
The pharmacy ships psoriasis meds to me and I have to be there to sign for it or they won't deliver. That's SOP for expensive medications. Nobody steals cancer drugs off the porch. Urban legend.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:01 AM

8,289 posts, read 2,072,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I would love to live an area where this happens frequently, no more need to pay someone to take away my garbage. Hell, I could probably even eliminate that sewer bill too.

--edit--

Even a better idea, how about nice fancy candy box with some dog crap covered with chocolate that has been infused with ghost chili sauce and laxatives? Yum!
I hear alot of people joke about doing that kind of thing, but in reality its a bad decision...if thieves steal a box off your porch and it ends up being something gross, they will know you targeted them specifically, and since they know where you live, could come back later and retaliate in some way, like vandalism or more serious theft.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:07 AM

2,804 posts, read 1,592,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I hear alot of people joke about doing that kind of thing, but in reality its a bad decision...if thieves steal a box off your porch and it ends up being something gross, they will know you targeted them specifically, and since they know where you live, could come back later and retaliate in some way, like vandalism or more serious theft.
This sounds like living your life in fear of bad people. Maybe they come back to my house when I'm home and I get to deal with them personally.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:59 AM

7,660 posts, read 5,640,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I think it is too much for a non-violent crime. I have known a bank robber who did less then a year.

I really think the US needs to really pull our legal system together.

I had my mail stolen. My child, innocent and confused, tried to stop her. She tried to run him over. They did catch her, in part due to my kid's description. But they didn't charge them with our theft or her actually trying to hit my kid with her car. She got a few drug charges and a couple theft charges. So I am happy to see someone get more then a slap on the wrist. But also...come on! Focus on the big crimes, not just on the little ones that get bigger sentences.
Your missing some of the context. She didn't get 24 years for nabbing a few Prime packages off the porch.

She got 24 years for:
-Violating her parole for burglary (it wasn't her first go around)
-multiple narcotics violations
-Burglary, which meant that she went into someone's house to steal things.
-Also some package thefts

So while it is a stiff sentence, and I'm not sure about paying for her next 24 years behind bars, I also don't think its some whacked out example of our failing justice system.

If you steal a bike sitting in a driveway, that's theft. If you steal a bike by entering the garage to take it, that's burglary. If you brandish a knife and say, "gimme your bike!" that's robbery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events