U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2019, 06:18 PM
 
607 posts, read 379,807 times
Reputation: 3371

Advertisements

I don't know. Maybe she should have slipped ten bucks to a strong eleven year old to give the nine year old a "talking to?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2019, 10:43 PM
 
8,668 posts, read 3,378,920 times
Reputation: 22081
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Random Guy View Post
Seems about right for the mentality of today's America.

I would've expected this from a millennial parent than any other generation but this is still way wrong.

In no way is right to hit a child in the manner she did. People think she's justified 'cause the kid hit her own—

—and I will repeat: Under no circumstance is it OK to hit/beat a child.

If that lady wanted to pull the kids ear, then fine. My millennial peers would disagree but at the end of the day, her real target should have been the parent of the trouble-making kid.

I'm just glad there was footage of this horrible event so that whatever results, evidence is there.
Your post is very ironic.

In times past - a generation or two ago, and prior to that - adults were very free to hit children for misbehaving. It was not the least bit unexpected that an adult the child knew would strike the child for perceived misbehavior. It was also not unexpected for an adult the child DID NOT KNOW to beat him for perceived misbehavior.

This punch in the face, by the parent of a victim child against the bullying child would not even make a slight ripple 40 years ago, because it was deserved.

"Today's America" is kinder to children than America has ever been. In all previous generations, it was more likely to assault children than right now.

So honestly, I can't imagine what you're talking about "mentality of today's America"???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2019, 12:33 AM
 
11,975 posts, read 7,119,082 times
Reputation: 22185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In times past - a generation or two ago, and prior to that - adults were very free to hit children for misbehaving. It was not the least bit unexpected that an adult the child knew would strike the child for perceived misbehavior. It was also not unexpected for an adult the child DID NOT KNOW to beat him for perceived misbehavior.
Thankfully most people have moved on from that sort of thinking, that violence is the solution to any problem. Just because 50-60 years ago, people went around hitting stranger's children, doesn't make it right. There are other ways to deal with misbehavior, which does not include hitting a child.

I don't' even get it. A 9-year-old hits a 6-year-old and is then hit by an adult. And that is supposed to teach him that hitting is wrong? But only the 9-year-old is in the wrong for hitting someone else, not the adult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2019, 05:21 AM
 
3,424 posts, read 3,005,100 times
Reputation: 10142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Thankfully most people have moved on from that sort of thinking, that violence is the solution to any problem. Just because 50-60 years ago, people went around hitting stranger's children, doesn't make it right. There are other ways to deal with misbehavior, which does not include hitting a child.

I don't' even get it. A 9-year-old hits a 6-year-old and is then hit by an adult. And that is supposed to teach him that hitting is wrong? But only the 9-year-old is in the wrong for hitting someone else, not the adult?
We don't know if the kindergartner did something to provoke being hit. He's not necessarily innocent just because he is younger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2019, 07:23 AM
 
8,668 posts, read 3,378,920 times
Reputation: 22081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Thankfully most people have moved on from that sort of thinking, that violence is the solution to any problem. Just because 50-60 years ago, people went around hitting stranger's children, doesn't make it right. There are other ways to deal with misbehavior, which does not include hitting a child.

I don't' even get it. A 9-year-old hits a 6-year-old and is then hit by an adult. And that is supposed to teach him that hitting is wrong? But only the 9-year-old is in the wrong for hitting someone else, not the adult?
I don't disagree with what you're saying.

I don't believe in violence against children, as a method by a parent to teach her children any lessons at all.

Having said that, I don't think a punch to the face of a bully is the worst thing that could happen to that child. Nor is it the worst thing that could happen to the mother of the bully, as it should have given her some much-needed insight into the kindergartner's mother's mindset. But somehow, the 9 year old's mother missed that chance to empathize and identify with her pain and outrage.

I can't understand why a punch in the face has made national news. We are addicted to our desire for outrage and will take any "fix".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2019, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Raleigh
7,744 posts, read 5,712,763 times
Reputation: 10707
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Your post is very ironic.

In times past - a generation or two ago, and prior to that - adults were very free to hit children for misbehaving. It was not the least bit unexpected that an adult the child knew would strike the child for perceived misbehavior. It was also not unexpected for an adult the child DID NOT KNOW to beat him for perceived misbehavior.

This punch in the face, by the parent of a victim child against the bullying child would not even make a slight ripple 40 years ago, because it was deserved.

"Today's America" is kinder to children than America has ever been. In all previous generations, it was more likely to assault children than right now.

So honestly, I can't imagine what you're talking about "mentality of today's America"???
With the possible exception of a teacher, I think that if anyone hit my (WW2 Vet, Depression Era) Grandfather's children, they wouldn't have walked away from where he found them. Its one thing if its someone trusted with your kid's care. Its another if its a total stranger to you and your kid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2019, 06:59 PM
 
21 posts, read 7,468 times
Reputation: 43
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
"Today's America" is kinder to children than America has ever been. In all previous generations, it was more likely to assault children than right now.

So honestly, I can't imagine what you're talking about "mentality of today's America"???
I meant it more in the sense that you'll see things you wouldn't have seen before or would have considered OK to do before. Not that you wouldn't have seen children getting hit or having that expectation of a physical reprimand, but that it normally wouldn't go as far as this person went.

What I mean is, people now are trying to find a justification for anything.

The "we can do no wrong" mentality seems so strong in today's generation that it's cases like these that make me think, "wow".

Sure, kids were probably beat a hell of a lot more before, but people are actually defending what this person did here.

Might seem like a throwback mentality of the past, but it's the crazy people of today that scare me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2019, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,096 posts, read 2,819,374 times
Reputation: 2971

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afKr2EzXKyE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2019, 08:59 PM
 
Location: San Josť, CA
3,103 posts, read 5,657,309 times
Reputation: 2541
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
My son, now 39, punched a kindergarten classmate who had taken one of his personal toys, a little hot wheels car. Bloodied his nose. Showing no empathy to the thief, his teacher was aghast with my lack of interest.

I simply told her, if someone stole my car, I'd punch them in the nose too!
That'll teach that kindergartener to steal a 30-somethings hot wheels car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 05:18 AM
 
4,649 posts, read 2,217,916 times
Reputation: 5383
Gosh - you guys made it sound like those of us growing up in the 50's and 60's had our arse whipped by every adult we met. Did I get a spanking - yes - twice that I remember - and believe me - I learned to behave just from those two instances. I don't consider it abuse - my parents were getting " my attention " as I failed to stop doing whatever when they asked me too - repeatedly. Am I scarred for life - no and that is what is missing in today's society because many of these kids have no responsibility, discipline or respect.

No the mother should not have hit the child - but she should have gone over to the kid's house and talked to the parent - who 9 times out of 10 has no concern these days about how junior is behaving. I do applaud the mother of the 5 yr old for actually caring about her son's welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top