Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 07:23 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Thankfully most people have moved on from that sort of thinking, that violence is the solution to any problem. Just because 50-60 years ago, people went around hitting stranger's children, doesn't make it right. There are other ways to deal with misbehavior, which does not include hitting a child.

I don't' even get it. A 9-year-old hits a 6-year-old and is then hit by an adult. And that is supposed to teach him that hitting is wrong? But only the 9-year-old is in the wrong for hitting someone else, not the adult?
I don't disagree with what you're saying.

I don't believe in violence against children, as a method by a parent to teach her children any lessons at all.

Having said that, I don't think a punch to the face of a bully is the worst thing that could happen to that child. Nor is it the worst thing that could happen to the mother of the bully, as it should have given her some much-needed insight into the kindergartner's mother's mindset. But somehow, the 9 year old's mother missed that chance to empathize and identify with her pain and outrage.

I can't understand why a punch in the face has made national news. We are addicted to our desire for outrage and will take any "fix".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 08:26 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Your post is very ironic.

In times past - a generation or two ago, and prior to that - adults were very free to hit children for misbehaving. It was not the least bit unexpected that an adult the child knew would strike the child for perceived misbehavior. It was also not unexpected for an adult the child DID NOT KNOW to beat him for perceived misbehavior.

This punch in the face, by the parent of a victim child against the bullying child would not even make a slight ripple 40 years ago, because it was deserved.

"Today's America" is kinder to children than America has ever been. In all previous generations, it was more likely to assault children than right now.

So honestly, I can't imagine what you're talking about "mentality of today's America"???
With the possible exception of a teacher, I think that if anyone hit my (WW2 Vet, Depression Era) Grandfather's children, they wouldn't have walked away from where he found them. Its one thing if its someone trusted with your kid's care. Its another if its a total stranger to you and your kid

Old 02-23-2019, 06:59 PM

28 posts, read 17,222 times
Default !

Quote:
"Today's America" is kinder to children than America has ever been. In all previous generations, it was more likely to assault children than right now.

So honestly, I can't imagine what you're talking about "mentality of today's America"???
I meant it more in the sense that you'll see things you wouldn't have seen before or would have considered OK to do before. Not that you wouldn't have seen children getting hit or having that expectation of a physical reprimand, but that it normally wouldn't go as far as this person went.

What I mean is, people now are trying to find a justification for anything.

The "we can do no wrong" mentality seems so strong in today's generation that it's cases like these that make me think, "wow".

Sure, kids were probably beat a hell of a lot more before, but people are actually defending what this person did here.

Might seem like a throwback mentality of the past, but it's the crazy people of today that scare me.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:51 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afKr2EzXKyE

Old 02-27-2019, 08:59 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,092,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
My son, now 39, punched a kindergarten classmate who had taken one of his personal toys, a little hot wheels car. Bloodied his nose. Showing no empathy to the thief, his teacher was aghast with my lack of interest.

I simply told her, if someone stole my car, I'd punch them in the nose too!
That'll teach that kindergartener to steal a 30-somethings hot wheels car.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:18 AM

11,775 posts, read 5,789,903 times
Gosh - you guys made it sound like those of us growing up in the 50's and 60's had our arse whipped by every adult we met. Did I get a spanking - yes - twice that I remember - and believe me - I learned to behave just from those two instances. I don't consider it abuse - my parents were getting " my attention " as I failed to stop doing whatever when they asked me too - repeatedly. Am I scarred for life - no and that is what is missing in today's society because many of these kids have no responsibility, discipline or respect.

No the mother should not have hit the child - but she should have gone over to the kid's house and talked to the parent - who 9 times out of 10 has no concern these days about how junior is behaving. I do applaud the mother of the 5 yr old for actually caring about her son's welfare.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:17 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I won't comment on this situation because everyone else has said it all. But bullies, especially aggressive ones, need more than talking to. Someone has to take charge and if the parents won't someone else should.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:40 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
.......I'd fire that bus driver too. Where was he while the child was being beaten down by that enraged, uncivilized monstrosity? ......

What powers, what protections do you give a bus driver to take action?

If I get into a hand to hand fight, I'm going to take them out, put them in the hospital......and it is up to the Fates if it is the ER or the morgue.

As such, I don't get into many fights because fighting for me is DEADLY serious.

A situation I was recently considering was what if a co-worker were to force me into a situation where I had to take them out? Suicide by an ex-cop?

Boy, would that suck! It would suck because even if it were a self defense matter, I don't have the protections that active police have, I don't have a union that would fight for me.

So there we go, what kind of protections are you willing to grant to all bus drivers to enable them to take action?

Old 03-26-2019, 10:34 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,810,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky701 View Post
Really? And you claim to be a Lawyer? Hummmmmmm.... Well my point was and most the lay people I believe understood it.... Too Many People Here Are Guessing on how the Law Works , OR are stating as "fact" how they wished it worked..
Or, let's talk about what really happened here. You're assuming that:

1) No one here is a lawyer (which, has been proven false)
2) No one here knows how laws work.

Maybe you should stop assuming and stick to facts so you don't like this kind of fool again.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:36 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
https://www.kvue.com/article/news/cr...9-af5a1b05f64f

I'm having a little bit of a hard time feeling much empathy for the 9 year old's mother. In the greatly fuzzed out video, it looks like a beating, but I think that's the 9 year old throwing the punches, after the initial punch at the other mother.

After he punched a kindergartner in the face earlier and made his nose bleed.

Considering how very outraged she was that her son was punched, I'm surprised she doesn't empathize with the feelings of the mother who boarded the bus to protect her kindergartner.
these kids are learning violence for where? That is the final question....and that is what this is all about....
he hit the kid in the nose, but, the mother certainly shouldn't have acted like that either....and maybe her kid was continually bullying this smaller child?

I think both parents need to be put in check here...as well as the kid who hit the 9 year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events