Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 12:54 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Let's not blame the bus driver. I am sure if he/she could have prevented it or removed the insane person, they would have.

No, adults can't hit other people's kids. What insanity...
If the bus driver had a 2-way radio equipped bus, she should have called for assistance, and that's fairly common nowadays...or a cell phone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 12:55 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're right on target.

The only people who should ever be on a school bus are the driver, the kids, and school or public officials.
Writing as a retired principal, no parent should be allowed to get on a school bus for any reason. So number one, the bus driver needs to go.

Number 2, the parent who hit a non-related child should be arrested and charged.
#3? What about #3, the kid who assaulted a younger child?

Old 02-18-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
If the bus driver had a 2-way radio equipped bus, she should have called for assistance, and that's fairly common nowadays...or a cell phone?
This is what a couple of us have been discussing. A lot of buses don't have that, but they should. For kids, just knowing the driver could call police would probably tone down the behavior, to some degree.

What's your experience been in that regard?

Old 02-18-2019, 12:57 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The bus drivers are helpless. This kind of thing has been going on for decades. Even rapes have taken place on school buses, and the drivers can't do anything. That's why some schools have adult chaperones on the buses, but a video went viral a few years ago, of some kids spending the bus ride being verbally abusive to the chaperone just sitting quietly in her seat. It's too expensive for the schools, apparently, to equip the buses with a phone or radio to the police.
No, they're not helpless. They almost certainly carry a cell phone and are somewhat likely to have a two-way radio.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
No, they're not helpless. They almost certainly carry a cell phone and are somewhat likely to have a two-way radio.
If that's true, has there been a decline in violence on school buses nationally, in the last whatever--decade or so? Has anyone done a study? Stories of kids running amok on school buses, while the drivers sit passively by, eyes on the road, keep surfacing.

But who knows, maybe the invention and proliferation of the cell phone will save a lot of kids from school bus violence. I haven't heard anything along those lines, but....maybe. I wonder if schools have started requiring drivers to have a cell phone on the job, and to maintain a cell phone account, then. Since bus driving doesn't pay all that well, it's possible some job applicants wouldn't have a cell phone, only a land-line at home.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-18-2019 at 01:28 PM..

Old 02-18-2019, 01:26 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
I imagine the bus driver recognized the kindergartner's mom and didn't realize she was getting on the bus until it was too late to stop her. The bus driver's first job is to mind the bus. If she/he had jumped out of the driver's seat to go after the kindergartner's mom and the bus rolled over a kid just out, there's where she/he (and the school district) would be in deep doo-doo. The bus driver should be questioned, but until some facts are known, the job should be secure.

Yes, the parent who hit the child should be arrested and charged. But I can sympathize. I remember when a much larger kid was continuously beating on my son when he was 6-7 years old. The bully lived on our block, and I probably shouldn't have handled it the way I did, which was to grab the kid by the collar, pull him up to my face and tell him that if he wanted to fight he should pick on someone his own size, like me. So was I wrong? Because the bullying stopped right there and then.

I don't know. I also knew his parents. The "proper" steps would have been to talk to them, but when your son, half the size of the bully, comes home with a bloody nose and crying, you want to solve the problem asap. I knew he wouldn't tell his parents what I'd done, because that would have gotten him in trouble too. I'd say I was wrong but effective. The kindergartener's mom probably feels the same way. Nobody is allowed to hurt her cub without getting bitten by mamma. She was wrong by today's standards, but I don't blame her a bit.

If the 9-year-old had attacked the mom, mom would have had the right to defend herself. But mom's instincts are going to kick in when she see's her bloodied kid, even faster than if the attack had been on her. Nope. I don't blame her, and if I was on the jury for her case, I'd likely want her found innocent.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:58 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky701 View Post
WOW... Her 9 YO punches and 5 YO In The Face... and she is mad because a mother of the beaten child came to the defense of her child/ REALLY? Thats some messed up people .....but Hey it is who it is and where it is.. TEXAss
It was in New Orleans, not Texas.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:40 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Quote:
Who says she did not call for help??

Old 02-19-2019, 07:05 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times
1. Have you seen what they pay school bus drivers? Yeah, they aren't getting involved for that price. Want better? Pay more. Raise taxes.

2. Two way communications on school buses? Not anywhere I've ever been. Cell phones issued to drivers? Haha.

3. Inner city schools, for the most part, in this country are a mess. And they aren't going to get anything but worse.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:12 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,810,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Sounds like the 9 year-old have it coming!
Surprised to see support for adults punching children.

This child has issues that need to be addressed... But not by an adult punching him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events