Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 08:46 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,547,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Just as we have limits on our freedom of speech, we also have limits on freedom of religion. You cannot rape little girls and claim it's your religious freedom to do so. Go straight to prison, you filthy animal.
Heck yeah. They are like chattle. They are trafficked. A man is in good favor? He gets to pick his 'wives' and they can be 're-assigned' if the man falls out of favor. Or if the woman is not obedient. She can be given away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 11:08 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's illegal. The US has universal schooling. How do these communities get away with it? Didn't those communities used to get raided by police, back in the 50's/60's? What happened to that? Why have local, state or federal authorities just rolled over and died on this issue? If the kids aren't registered in school anywhere, nor as being home-schooled, that's grounds right there for state or federal law enforcement to address the matter.
The leaders of these groups 'schmooze' local leaders, mayors, city managers, and sometimes even state politicians...in return for having law enforcement look the other way, its pretty common, its all about money money money!

Old 02-18-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The leaders of these groups 'schmooze' local leaders, mayors, city managers, and sometimes even state politicians...in return for having law enforcement look the other way, its pretty common, its all about money money money!
Orthodox Jews do it too, in the little insular communities in NY. They create a voting block. BUT to be fair to some of them, 'The' FLDS (IDK how this sect came to be known with THE in front of it) are very very very good at what they do. 100 or 200 years of perfecting their techniques. It's like asking the government why is all organized crime not stopped? Because it can't be stopped. You can nab some of the players sometimes, but the org itself is going nowhere.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:35 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,860,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Orthodox Jews do it too, in the little insular communities in NY. They create a voting block. BUT to be fair to some of them, 'The' FLDS (IDK how this sect came to be known with THE in front of it) are very very very good at what they do. 100 or 200 years of perfecting their techniques. It's like asking the government why is all organized crime not stopped? Because it can't be stopped. You can nab some of the players sometimes, but the org itself is going nowhere.
Ummmm...Orthodox Jews do what? I thought the thread was about Jeff’s and child abuse.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Ummmm...Orthodox Jews do what? I thought the thread was about Jeff’s and child abuse.
What I said. Creating voting blocs. There are similarities among insular groups who want to go by their own law instead of USG law.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:00 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
That's illegal. The US has universal schooling. How do these communities get away with it? Didn't those communities used to get raided by police, back in the 50's/60's? What happened to that? Why have local, state or federal authorities just rolled over and died on this issue? If the kids aren't registered in school anywhere, nor as being home-schooled, that's grounds right there for state or federal law enforcement to address the matter.
They still do get raided by the police. They can only exist so long...For the same reason they can't immediately arrest a guy they're pretty certain is a drug kingpin, they have to gather evidence...not always easy.
Quote:
This is what I was wondering--have they infiltrated social service structures in the community? Awful! Do these kids go to public school? I guess they're home-schooled?
Its as JenCam said below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
= 'The' FLDS (IDK how this sect came to be known with THE in front of it) are very very very good at what they do. 100 or 200 years of perfecting their techniques. It's like asking the government why is all organized crime not stopped? Because it can't be stopped. You can nab some of the players sometimes, but the org itself is going nowhere.
They often aren't buying individual lots in a town. The church buys or builds an ENTIRE town. Again, this isn't their first go around. They know that if all they do is buy a bunch of lots or build them they'll have greater scrutiny. Imagine a gated community. In the middle of nowhere.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:55 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times
Quote:
And while we're at it (warning: Ruthie's in rant mode), what about the older wives? How can they sit by and let their younger sisters or nieces, or even their daughters, be sucked into such a marriage? They know what they went through, themselves, as young teens. How could they wish that on a loved one, or anyone else? Sure, some are brainwashed, but I would think some would still have some human compassion left, especially if they endured some horrible scene after being married off to some sleaze-bag, even if he did have social standing in their excuse for a community.

I hear ya. Rubes will be rubes whether they kill their children with poison Kool aide or allow their children to be raped, or follow a dictator. It boggles the mind doesn't it. I hope they shut them down all together.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:05 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
They often aren't buying individual lots in a town. The church buys or builds an ENTIRE town. Again, this isn't their first go around. They know that if all they do is buy a bunch of lots or build them they'll have greater scrutiny. Imagine a gated community. In the middle of nowhere.
I was in Beaver, Utah last year staying overnight. It's a small town with a KOA campground.

At the local grocery I saw a woman in a dress that covered everything from her neck to her feet. I learned later this is a prairie dress and it's the standard uniform of Mormon Fundamentalist women. As I was leaving two more women in prairie dresses came in. The first one nodded to them. But none spoke. They gave me the creeps.

Later I found articles online from the local paper about FLDS buying lots of land and moving into Beaver.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
With the community in S. Arizona, I believe the men would legally divorce their current wife, so she could draw benefits from the state, and then “marry” or marry the next wife. Of course the man considers the legally divorced wife as his wife anyway, and so he ends up with many wives, some of whom are drawing welfare benefits from the government. So, he has a relable income stream.

Some of the wives find jobs in the local schools as aids, I believe, as well.

But other income comes from hiring the kids out cheap to do farm work.

Another awful, heartrending abuse is that older men who of course want access to the young women, find ways to kick the teenaged boys out of the group. They have been simply kicked out with no money, and certainly no decent schooling. I can’t imagine how awful the moms feel about this, and certainly the boys who have had ties mainly with their moms, feel it keenly. I believe if a kid does anything crosswise, he is considered a threat and is expelled.

But this is based on old information. I have read the Krakauer book, and this info might have come crom there. But I know I’ve also run across the expulsion info on TV several years ago.

I think the major argument against polygamy is that it fosters a loss of rights for the women trapped in it. I really do not want to ever make polygamy legal.

By the way, Jeffs is still running the sect from prison.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:08 PM

7,020 posts, read 4,885,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Not Orthodox Jews, but Hasidic Jews. Here's a quick guide to the difference:

"Hasidic Vs Orthodox. What’s the difference? Let me get right down to it: Hasidic Jews are a sect/movement within Orthodox Judaism. All Hasidic Jews are Orthodox, but not all Orthodox Jews are Hasidic. There are various sects within Orthodox Judaism and the Hasidic movement is only one of them."

The Hasidic Jews aren't polygamous, but they are very strict with their members, especially the women. Many of the Hasidic Jews are often on welfare because the men don't have marketable skills and the women have a large number of children.

As a matter of fact, except for the polygamy and possibly underage marriages, they're very similar to FLDS (many special needs children because of inbreeding, lack of schooling, keeping the women under strict control, and both groups being busted for food stamp fraud) and should also be a target of concern. This article gives some of the reasons why.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/insular-h...ressures-build

One of the things they're known for is refusing to sit next to a woman on a bus, train, or airline flight and they will make a s**tstorm about that.

There are also bands of modern "gypsies" in the US as well. They also refuse to allow in outsiders and marry the girls off very young. I may be wrong, but it seems to me they have coming out parties when the girls are maybe 5 to 8 years old and are promised to a man when they are "grown". Dateline did an excellent piece on them a number of years ago.

Jeffs' compounds and FLDS are not the only fringe group that controls its people and marries off young girls. They just attract the most attention because of the polygamy. And I think a lot of people would be surprised at the number of things that fly under the radar in the US when it comes to things like the Jeffs' compounds, child abuse, and underage marriage, just like how we're incredibly unaware of the trafficking and slavery that still exist in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events