U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 05:12 PM

2,024 posts, read 824,424 times

Advertisements

So you would be happy to set up camp in your small town? Be your neighbors? Not me, don't want a cult for neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 06:29 AM

2,270 posts, read 867,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
So you would be happy to set up camp in your small town? Be your neighbors? Not me, don't want a cult for neighbors.
There you go again, with your dishonest attempt to portray me as being happy when a cult moves next door. Do you have nothing but that flimsy rhetorical trick?

Let me spell it out for you:
The world revolves around neither you nor I. Cults, in and of themselves, are not illegal. They may, and often do, engage in illegal behavior. Such behavior should be prosecuted. However, a mere property purchase is not illegal, and - newsflash - whether or not someone is permitted to buy property does not hinge on whether or not you want them to live next door.

As an aside, I think underage marriage should be unlawful, period. Idaho just considered banning under-16 marriage in that state. But they decided not to do so.

Quote:
From 2000 to 2010, 4,080 children in Idaho were married, according to data compiled from 38 states by Unchained at Last, a national advocacy group working to end forced and child marriages in America. The youngest minor wed in Idaho was 13.
https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...226944034.html

It should be legal for adults to marry children.

[It is - and should be - legal for them to buy property, however.]

Idaho should be ashamed of itself.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:01 AM

9,525 posts, read 10,836,694 times
Quote:
If applicant is under 16 years of age, they will need parental consent in the form of a notarized statement and permission must be obtained from the Court.
https://www.idaho.gov/family-records/marriage/

The proposed law would have forced a young woman under 16 who becomes pregnant to either bear an illegitimate child or to have an abortion. The current law already requires a judge to give consent to what should be a private family matter.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:21 AM

13,369 posts, read 6,595,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
There you go again, with your dishonest attempt to portray me as being happy when a cult moves next door. Do you have nothing but that flimsy rhetorical trick?

Let me spell it out for you:
The world revolves around neither you nor I. Cults, in and of themselves, are not illegal. They may, and often do, engage in illegal behavior. Such behavior should be prosecuted. However, a mere property purchase is not illegal, and - newsflash - whether or not someone is permitted to buy property does not hinge on whether or not you want them to live next door.

As an aside, I think underage marriage should be unlawful, period. Idaho just considered banning under-16 marriage in that state. But they decided not to do so.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...226944034.html

It should be legal for adults to marry children.

[It is - and should be - legal for them to buy property, however.]

Idaho should be ashamed of itself.
Well it is well known that this cult does illegal activity.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:08 AM

9,525 posts, read 10,836,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Well it is well known that this cult does illegal activity.
The ancient Romans often said this about Christians when they put them to death. They were correct; Christians were breaking the law simply by being Christians.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:49 AM

10,134 posts, read 2,588,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The ancient Romans often said this about Christians when they put them to death. They were correct; Christians were breaking the law simply by being Christians.
Yes, and thats because the Romans saw them as a threat...maybe thats whats going on with this today, I think that is certainly possible.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
So you're saying that this cult does not 'marry' underage girls?

Old 03-03-2019, 04:43 PM

79 posts, read 14,650 times
Quote:
So you're saying that this cult does not 'marry' underage girls?
What are you considering "underage"? That's a legal distinction, and marrying a girl of any age is legal in Idaho. So ostensibly, there is no such thing as an "underage" girl in Idaho with regard to marriage. But denying a man the right to purchase property because some people think he might commit a crime in the future is absurd. That's the issue here.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:47 PM

They don't legally marry them. They 'spirit marry' which is rape. That is why Jeffs is in jail. Rape. Accessory to rape, etc.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:51 PM

79 posts, read 14,650 times
Quote:
They don't legally marry them. They 'spirit marry' which is rape. That is why Jeffs is in jail. Rape. Accessory to rape, etc.
But Seth hasn't been charged with any crime. Shouldn't he be free to buy property, just like you or I?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or