Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 08:49 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
the sister wives folks are not FLDS. i think the husband was from the AUB group.
They are fundamentalist Mormons. Not the same sect as 'The' FLDS, there are different sects OF 'FLDS'. No idea why Jeff's group gets the 'the' designation. AUB are also FLDS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 09:08 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
the sister wives folks are not FLDS. i think the husband was from the AUB group.
Just to clarify, since there obviously appears to be some confusion, here is a list of the various denominations in the "Latter Day Saint movement", along with their membership numbers (which are a year or so old) and the percentage of the total membership they represent:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) 15,882,417 97.99%
Community of Christ (RLDS) 250,301 1.54%
The Church of Jesus Christ (Bickertonite) 22,537 0.14%
Church of Jesus Christ with the Elijah Message 12,500 0.08%
Apostolic United Brethren 10,000 0.06%
Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS) 10,000 0.06%
Restoration Branches 10,000 0.06%
Church of Christ (Hedrickites) 7,310 0.05%
Fellowships of the remnants 5,000 0.03%
Church of Christ (Fettingite) 2,450 0.02%
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Strangite) 300 0.00%
Church of Jesus Christ (Cutlerite) 12 0.00%

Think of "the Latter Day Saint Movement" as being analogous to the "Protestant Reformation" and the individual denominations as analogous to the various Protestant denominations today. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) has the overwhelming majority the members of the movement as a whole. The three groups I've put in colored font are the ones that seem to be confusing people in this thread. Several, but not all, of the groups are polygamists. Both the AUB and the FLDS have roughly the same number of members.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:01 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,142,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
They are fundamentalist Mormons. Not the same sect as 'The' FLDS, there are different sects OF 'FLDS'. No idea why Jeff's group gets the 'the' designation. AUB are also FLDS.
no they are not

Old 03-07-2019, 01:02 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,189,705 times
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't mean that they were if the same sec. I was being a bit facetious. It didn't care me across that way in post. I guess I see the Warren Jeff's sec, FLDS, more as a criminal enterprise that a abuses and uses people.
If the Jeff's character purchased land to live out his days and not continue the abuses then I guess I don't mind. However, if it is going to be used to continue the abusive and illegal ways then I don't want them coming to my state. Hopefully the lawsuit filed against that group will seize the assets and the land purchased in Minnesota so we won't have to deal with them.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
no they are not
Quote:
The Apostolic United Brethren (AUB) is a Mormon fundamentalist group that promotes polygamy. The AUB has had a temple in Mexico, since at least the 1990s, an endowment house in Utah since the early 1980s and several other locations of worship to accommodate their members in Wyoming and Montana
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostolic_United_Brethren

Old 03-07-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
no they are not
Well, at least one person get it.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
they may be a fundamentalist group, they are not FLDS. this is not that difficult.

there's a good series of podcasts here, more that you ever wanted to know. most of them relate to the FLDS but not all:

https://www.yearofpolygamy.com/archi...odes-in-order/

here's one on the AUB

https://www.yearofpolygamy.com/year-...ited-brethren/

here's one on the kingston group:

https://www.yearofpolygamy.com/year-...-county-co-op/

Old 03-08-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
they may be a fundamentalist group, they are not FLDS. this is not that difficult.
You know what I think throws most people? The word "fundamentalist" is often used as an adjective to describe a group of people, typically those with a far right-wing perspective. And it's almost always used in a derogatory way. But in the case of the FLDS Church, the word is actually part of the name of the church. That's why there may be various groups within the Latter Day Saint Restorationist Movement that may be called "fundamentalists," there is only one Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and people who repeatedly say that this is not the case simply doesn't know what they're talking about, and are too stubborn to admit they were wrong.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You know what I think throws most people? The word "fundamentalist" is often used as an adjective to describe a group of people, typically those with a far right-wing perspective. And it's almost always used in a derogatory way. But in the case of the FLDS Church, the word is actually part of the name of the church. That's why there may be various groups within the Latter Day Saint Restorationist Movement that may be called "fundamentalists," there is only one Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and people who repeatedly say that this is not the case simply doesn't know what they're talking about, and are too stubborn to admit they were wrong.
you raise a good point. i suspect this is what is happening

Old 03-08-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:

there's a good series of podcasts here, more that you ever wanted to know. most of them relate to the FLDS but not all:

https://www.yearofpolygamy.com/archi...odes-in-order/

here's one on the AUB

https://www.yearofpolygamy.com/year-...ited-brethren/

here's one on the kingston group:

https://www.yearofpolygamy.com/year-...-county-co-op/
That is what I said. They are *a* fundamentalist group. Separate from 'The' FLDS. 'The' FLDS is not the only sect of fundamentalist LDS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events