U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 08:35 PM

4,604 posts, read 2,023,216 times

Advertisements

Feel good stories don't get much better...…..

https://video.foxnews.com/v/60033997...#sp=show-clips

this guy moved a 2 ton vehicle to save this man...…….
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:00 AM

927 posts, read 251,151 times
Modern Jeeps are made of used Tin-foil and toenail clippings. Not impressed!

Old Yesterday, 12:14 AM

8,264 posts, read 2,063,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I forgot what the scientific name for this is, but Ive read about it before, its a real thing, in cases where a life is in immediate danger, SOMETIMES a bystander will get a sudden burst of strength, and they can temporarily lift hundreds or even thousands of lbs, but only for a few seconds, just enough to save the person. they loose the super strength right after, and usually when asked about it later, they will say they had no idea how they lifted such a weight, its just a 'process' we do not yet understand.

Old Yesterday, 12:43 AM

15,989 posts, read 9,273,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I forgot what the scientific name for this is, but Ive read about it before, its a real thing, in cases where a life is in immediate danger, SOMETIMES a bystander will get a sudden burst of strength, and they can temporarily lift hundreds or even thousands of lbs, but only for a few seconds, just enough to save the person. they loose the super strength right after, and usually when asked about it later, they will say they had no idea how they lifted such a weight, its just a 'process' we do not yet understand.
Yes, some call it hysterical strength.

It has something to do with the body's automatic safety system that prevents injuries. During incredibly stressful situations, the body can override those systems and output max strength levels. However, your body does need to have that potential to lift those extra heavy weights. As one article touches upon, a 100 pound woman that can only deadlift 100 pounds, is never going to be able to lift a 3000 pound car off of anyone no matter how hard much stress she is under.

Yes, You Really Can Lift a Car Off a Trapped Child

Quote:
Human beings have two basic kinds of physical ability: gross-motor skills involving large muscles, like running, punching, and jumping, and fine-motor skills involving small muscles, like threading a needle, writing, or putting a key in a lock. Fine motor skills tend to decline quickly when we're under pressure. But gross-motor skills peak much later, if at all: the closer a bear is nipping at your heels, the faster you'll run.

Penn State Kinesiologist Vladimir Zatsiorsky has researched how stress affects the performance of weightlifters. He has found that most of us, if we try to lift a heavy object under ordinary circumstances, can only use about 65 percent of our muscles' maximum theoretical strength. Trained weightlifters can do a bit better, achieving about 80 percent. In essence we possess an automatic control system that limits the amount of strain we can put on our body's machinery, so that we don't injure unnecessarily.

But as the situation becomes more critical, it may become worth risking some injury, and so that limit automatically lifts upwards. Under the pressure of competition, Zatsiorsky a trained weightlifter can heft up to an additional 12 percent.

Good for the weightlifter in the original post. There's also been other instances as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGr0t2XMpWY

Old Yesterday, 06:34 AM

23,789 posts, read 22,733,477 times
I love to hear things like this.

Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM

3,821 posts, read 712,894 times
Wonderful story. The man under the car has five children. So glad he was able to be rescued and be there for his kids. The guy picking up the jeep has two kids.

Kudos to the guy who acted quickly and got the jeep off him. Even a Jeep Cherokee weighs a couple of tons.

Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM

9,967 posts, read 3,402,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Feel good stories don't get much better...…..

https://video.foxnews.com/v/60033997...#sp=show-clips

this guy moved a 2 ton vehicle to save this man...…….
Police later decribed the weight lifter as being a green colour with a ripped shirt.

Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM

4,604 posts, read 2,023,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Wonderful story. The man under the car has five children. So glad he was able to be rescued and be there for his kids. The guy picking up the jeep has two kids.

Kudos to the guy who acted quickly and got the jeep off him. Even a Jeep Cherokee weighs a couple of tons.
The best part is where he went to the hospital and nurses told him without him moving the jeep the man would have died. When he met the man he saved, they both cried together...…..

Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM

2,499 posts, read 1,401,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

Yes, it can be done. It actually happened to me once, and I've never had it happen again.

I was riding my motorcycle back in my 20's, and I was on a 1 lane road in the middle of nowhere. This road was very curvy, and the posted speed limit was 25mph. If a car went any appreciable amount over that, they'd cross the center line and come into your lane, as the curves were pretty sharp.

Sure enough, on a blind left corner, I leaned into the turn and there was a Ford truck coming the other way, too fast for conditions, and he was halfway into my lane. If I didn't move out of the way, I would have hit him head on, so I straightened the bike and ran off the road, down into a ditch, and then up the other side. I jumped off the bike and tumbled into the ditch and landed on my back while the bike kept going up the hill, until it hit a tree, and tumbled backwards and landed on top of me. The bike was still running in that moment, and the wheels were still going about 30 mph... so the chain was still moving. That part landed on my boot, and it sawed through my motorcycle boot in about 1 second and would have cut into my foot but then I had my superhuman moment and I put both my hands on the frame of the bike and threw it off me, I literally threw it about 10 ft. This was a 500lb motorcycle, and I was able to do that while flat on my back with this mass of metal on top of me.

Normally, a 500lb bike is hard enough to get back on its wheels if it has fallen over and you're pulling it upright and also able to use your legs, so that I was able to just throw it through the air was amazing to me.

Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM

913 posts, read 618,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
The Jeep is over 4000 lbs. I'd like to see you lift half of that weight of "tin-foil and toenail clippings".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or