Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 02:55 PM

397 posts, read 318,896 times

Advertisements

The human trafficking angle is sad, but it's hard to blame that on Kraft and the other customers who just thought they were getting a rub and tug from another consenting adult. I think if you look at the totality of his life, Kraft has done mostly good things. This is embarrassing and it's a bad moment later in life as a widower who was devastated by the loss of his dear wife Myra. He has a much younger, dare I say gold-digging girlfriend, who recently gave birth to ANOTHER man's child. I think it's hard for him to find true love again and so he's looking for temporary pleasure with the younger gold digger and random hook ups/hookers. Doesn't make him bad, just flawed like the rest of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APe922QQTN0

Old 02-25-2019, 03:00 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Pretty sure plenty of things have been happening throughout history that you've never heard of.
People used to call it "white slavery": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_slavery

Quote:
It also encompassed many forms of slavery, including the European concubines often found in Turkish harems.[2]

The term was also used from the beginning of the twentieth century when most of the countries of Europe signed in Paris in 1904 an International Agreement for the suppression of the White Slave Traffic aimed at combating the sale of women who were forced into prostitution in the countries of continental Europe. In the early twentieth century, the term was used against the forced prostitution and sexual slavery of girls who worked in Chicago brothels.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I believe the real issue here is....human trafficking.
Indeed it is. And I'll tell you exactly where the human trafficking problem comes from. By outlawing prostitution, authorities have ensured that it's completely controlled by outlaws. Frankly it's anti-American and anti-capitalist. There are consenting adults who want to exchange services that would otherwise be completely legal. Legalize it and allow people to partake in something they're going to anyway, but that way you can help ensure that it's all legal and consensual.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:06 PM

50,700 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I dont ever recall hearing about human trafficking sex slaves before around mid 2000s.
It's been going on for much longer than that, probably since the beginning of time. I saw a documentary probably 15 years ago on a husband trying to get his trafficked wife back. They lived in Russia, she had a store. This guy they were friends with told her about this market in another country (I cant remember which one) that had things she was looking for to sell in her store. He arranged to go with her. When they arrived, it turned out he'd already been paid for her by sex traffickers. It took the husband several years of not giving up to find her and get her back. The police were really not a help at all, he had to hire mercenary-like people and do it on his own.

Russia was a very big player in sex trafficking. Employment agencies would tell parents and girls they had jobs for them as au pairs or housekeepers overseas, then they'd get there and find they were sex slaves.

I've also seen documentaries where American girls end up being sent to the middle east as sex slaves to rich men. Some kept in cages. It usually starts with trickery. The saddest I've ever seen though is a story from decades ago, maybe the 80's, where a toddler in was kidnapped (I can't remember what state), and found something like 7 years later, she had been stolen by sex traffickers made a prostitute from the age of 3. The parents got her back, but I cannot imagine she was able to overcome all that and live a normal life.

It's possible decades ago, no one knew or suspected how often it happened, especially in other countries. One reason we hear about it more is we live in more global world now and we hear more about things that happen in other countries.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
This story is lot like the Bill Cosby story, in that it serves as a Rorschach test.

If you instinctively identify with the person wielding all the power and using other human beings in a degrading manner, and if you invent excuses - excuses completely baseless in fact, that you just made up - in order to defend that person?

Then you've said nothing about that man. But you've said a great deal about yourself.
There may be a slight grain of truth there, but also a false equivalency. An elderly widower paid for a rub and tug unwittingly from a sex trafficking victim. Cosby is a psychopathic serial rapist. There's a HUGE difference. I also somewhat suspect that Kraft may be in the early stages of dementia. My grandmother died of dementia. A family friend also died of dementia. I see signs of a cognitive decline in Kraft at the very least. He's struggled a lot since his wife's death despite his continued success.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:12 PM

50,700 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rose View Post
There may be a slight grain of truth there, but also a false equivalency. An elderly widower paid for a rub and tug unwittingly from a sex trafficking victim. Cosby is a psychopathic serial rapist. There's a HUGE difference. I also somewhat suspect that Kraft may be in the early stages of dementia. My grandmother died of dementia. A family friend also died of dementia. I see signs of a cognitive decline in Kraft at the very least. He's struggled a lot since his wife's death despite his continued success.
What are you basing dementia on?? Where have you seen signs of cognitive decline in him, exactly?

Old 02-25-2019, 03:15 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

Russia was a very big player in sex trafficking. Employment agencies would tell parents and girls they had jobs for them as au pairs or housekeepers overseas, then they'd get there and find they were sex slaves.
There's a movie called The Whistleblower from a few years ago starring Rachel Weisz (currently streaming on Amazon,) that's based on a true story of human trafficking in the former Yugoslavia. The story's the same--young women were told they were getting a job in a hotel in another city, then their passports were taken away, etc.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:19 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rose View Post
The poster wasn't trying to claim an equivalency between the actual cases; you missed the point.

The point was that reaction to both cases tell quite a bit about the person having the reaction. As in:

Quote:
in that it serves as a Rorschach test

Old 02-25-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What are you basing dementia on?? Where have you seen signs of cognitive decline in him, exactly?
I'm a lifelong Patriots fan. He's owned the team since 1994. I've been following him over the years and I see signs of a general cognitive decline. His son Jonathan is gradually taking over the duties. He's not as articulate as he once was. A lot of his behavior seems less controlled, like him dancing with Cardi B as one notable example. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets announced at some point in the near future that he has some sort of dementia. Frankly, he wouldn't have got caught up in a scandal like this in years past. It shows a devolving level of judgment and reason on his part.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The poster wasn't trying to claim an equivalency between the actual cases; you missed the point.

The point was that reaction to both cases tell quite a bit about the person having the reaction. As in:
I get all that and my point remains the same. There's such a vast difference between the crime that Kraft committed and the crimes, very many crimes, that Cosby committed that I see someone who would defend Kraft or make excuses for Kraft as A LOT different than someone who would do the same for Cosby. I will defend the former but certainly not the latter and with good reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.