Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 10:24 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times

Advertisements

I realize any impact will be minimal, but I was thinking that perhaps it may make things harder for people who actually plan their crimes, because they will have no control over this aspect of things. Your relatives can submit their DNA for analysis, so you have no control over it - who's gonna be able to keep track of what their 3rd cousins do?

It's fascinating to me that genealogists may become crime solvers in a way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 11:03 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Impact is more than minimal. BTK and golden state killer crimes as far back as the '70s were both apprehended through family dna on genealogy sites.

Will it continue? I dont think anyone who uses these genealogy sites does so to solve crimes. Will it make some reluctant to use the sites accessable by LE? Probably so.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:22 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Impact is more than minimal. BTK and golden state killer crimes as far back as the '70s were both apprehended through family dna on genealogy sites.

Will it continue? I dont think anyone who uses these genealogy sites does so to solve crimes. Will it make some reluctant to use the sites accessable by LE? Probably so.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:13 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Well, of course it will lead to crime prevention. Criminals who are caught and locked up are prevented from committing further crimes. It will save lives by getting dangerous offenders off the streets.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:22 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post

I don't trust the cops a far as I can throw them. Had too many bad personal experiences despite a pretty law-abiding life. But I'm actually quite excited that my genetic information could be used to catch a murderer or rapist and I don't really care if it's someone I'm related to.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:00 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I realize any impact will be minimal, but I was thinking that perhaps it may make things harder for people who actually plan their crimes, because they will have no control over this aspect of things. Your relatives can submit their DNA for analysis, so you have no control over it - who's gonna be able to keep track of what their 3rd cousins do?

So you are willing to let DNA analysis what—arrest people before they commit crimes???
Watching any Tom Cruise movies last night???

How do you feel about more stringent gun laws then???

Old 02-21-2019, 01:34 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,185,409 times
You have to wonder if some real bad criminals that could be caught with DNA are going around to their relatives asking them not to do a DNA/ancestry submission for feather of getting caught.
Try telling Aunt Joan that she shouldn't do it or tell her it's a bunch of hooey, don't waste your money on such silly nonsense.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:57 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:

Will genetic analysis websites lead to crime prevention?

I've been wondering too if people will wise up that LE are using genealogy databases to match DNA but will people think twice before committing the crime? Will the crime rate go down? If anything we'll see it in a few years. It's too soon to know how many bad people actually know about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
You have to wonder if some real bad criminals that could be caught with DNA are going around to their relatives asking them not to do a DNA/ancestry submission for feather of getting caught.
Try telling Aunt Joan that she shouldn't do it or tell her it's a bunch of hooey, don't waste your money on such silly nonsense.
I do wonder if they have been or haven't they heard about this yet?

Old 02-21-2019, 04:54 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:

I think you're giving the majority of criminals way too much credit for thinking ahead & planning what they're going to do. I seriously doubt if that happens very much. Many crimes are committed on the spur of the moment, by people who either think they're smart enough to not get caught, or don't think about it enough to care. I can't see the web sites in question having much impact, at least before the crime is committed. Even if by some technical breakthrough you could ID someone likely to commit a crime, you can't legally arrest that person before he actually does it. Last time I checked, Pre-Crime arrests still only happen in the movies. So for crime prevention... no, crime solving... yes.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:56 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Criminals don't think they will be caught. LE using genealogy websites won't stop their behavior unless you count the fact that they will be in jail and can't commit more bad acts. Their relatives will still post their DNA as they are unaware that they have a relative hiding from old crimes.

I think the detectives are doing great work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events