U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 10:59 AM

179 posts, read 47,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Think back to your elementary teachers and what they did, and how. Now think about the same things for high school. See any differences?
I remember my 5th grade reading teacher, Miss White, who looked like she was fresh out of college. She used to wear short shorts and a white t-shirt to class. One day, my classmate, Verna, gathered a couple of us around and said the following: "Do you know why Miss White has such long legs? It's because she eats frog legs! Yes, yes, if you eat frog legs, then you grow long legs like her." Verna said it with so much confidence and authority that she convinced most of us, lol.

In high school, I detested most of my teachers. They wore ties, sports jackets, khakis, business suits, etc, but they were jerks in the way they tortured their students, assigning so much reading, problem sets, critical essays, etc that we literally did nothing but study. My friends and I would lay on the floor in our dorm rooms, listening to "Ooh Child" and remind ourselves that things will get easier once we graduate and move on to college. Still, I love that school and miss those times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 11:02 AM

7,884 posts, read 3,040,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappleApple View Post
I remember my 5th grade reading teacher, Miss White, who looked like she was fresh out of college. She used to wear short shorts and a white t-shirt to class. One day, my classmate, Verna, gathered a couple of us around and said the following: "Do you know why Miss White has such long legs? It's because she eats frog legs! Yes, yes, if you eat frog legs, then you grow long legs like her." Verna said it with so much confidence and authority that she convinced most of us, lol.

In high school, I detested most of my teachers. They wore ties, sports jackets, khakis, business suits, etc, but they were jerks in the way they tortured their students, assigning so much reading, problem sets, critical essays, etc that we literally did nothing but study. My friends and I would lay on the floor in our dorm rooms, listening to "Ooh Child" and remind ourselves that things will get easier once we graduate and move on to college. Still, I love that school and miss those times.
Perhaps if Miss White had been wearing those shorty shorts and flaunting those long legs around 12th grade students things would have turned out a bit differently.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:29 PM

33,742 posts, read 41,498,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
So it's not a big problem then, and no solutions are necessary in your estimation. If only everyone else agreed with you, we wouldn't have to constantly hear about these situations.

If ever it does become a problem though, there is an obvious solution.
I personally think that it's rare enough that it's people, like you, who make it a problem. If anything, my sense is that it's less prevalent now than in the past due to criminal penalties that weren't there in the past.

If by "solution" you mean your idea I can only say this: for every complex problem there is a simple solution and it's wrong.

Some information for you:

https://www.eteach.com/secondary-schools

How primary and secondary teachers differ and why it matters

Old 02-26-2019, 12:39 PM

7,884 posts, read 3,040,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I personally think that it's rare enough that it's people, like you, who make it a problem. If anything, my sense is that it's less prevalent now than in the past due to criminal penalties that weren't there in the past.

If by "solution" you mean your idea I can only say this: for every complex problem there is a simple solution and it's wrong.

Some information for you:

https://www.eteach.com/secondary-schools

How primary and secondary teachers differ and why it matters
If you have no trust that our teachers are smart enough to evolve their skills over time I'm not going to argue, even if I don't agree. If there's no problem though it's kind of a moot point isn't it? Just whistle dixie and crack jokes about where those teachers were when I was a kid.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:55 PM

33,742 posts, read 41,498,398 times
Quote:
If you have no trust that our teachers are smart enough to evolve their skills over time I'm not going to argue, even if I don't agree. If there's no problem though it's kind of a moot point isn't it? Just whistle dixie and crack jokes about where those teachers were when I was a kid.
For the last I haven't done so.

For the first, I can't tell whether you really don't understand or just don't want to.

It has nothing to do with "evolving skills" but everything to do with personality and mind set. I was considered a master teacher during my career. A career spent in secondary. I might have been able to last until lunch in elementary, and I'm more flexible than most high school teachers.

It's the same in teaching as almost every career, due to your interests and personality you gravitate to what you will do. It's the same for law, carpentry, medicine, engineering, etc. Yes some of the base skills are the same and then you specialize. I have a really good primary doctor but when it comes to my prostate issues she handed me off to a urologist.

Teaching is the same, some people have the personality to do one but not the other.

And again, think back to the differences you can remember between elementary and high school (include 7th and 8th grades in the latter).

Old 02-26-2019, 04:02 PM

179 posts, read 47,139 times
Quote:
Perhaps if Miss White had been wearing those shorty shorts and flaunting those long legs around 12th grade students things would have turned out a bit differently.
LOL. That is true.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:06 PM

1,210 posts, read 365,953 times
Whatever happened to Verna? I'd like to subscribe to her newsletter.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:58 PM

2,689 posts, read 1,018,483 times
well, we had an English teacher (female) who had a smokin' body with a fugly face.
she showed off her assets in an acceptable way, for that time and that place.
she apparently tried lots of things to offset her face, but none worked well
enough for my friends. eventually, she got married to some rich guy and
quit teaching. some corrective surgery? do not know.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:15 PM

9,583 posts, read 2,434,734 times
I think there is ALOT more of these types of 'relationships' going on than we think there is, the ones we hear about on the news weekly, are just the very small percentage who got caught red handed, the vast majority, likely go on for awhile until they mutually dissolve, and both people move on to see other people.

From my days in school, I knew about 4 girls that were involved with teachers or adults in authority positions, none of them or the adults, was ever caught or discovered. I didnt know any boys that were involved with adult females though. I will also say, all 4 of those girls, they were the initiators/ aggressors, of the 'hookup'.

While I was fairly popular in school, I still didnt know everyone, so besides the 4 girls I knew of, its likely there were a handful of other students involved in the same thing, that does put into a different perspective for sure!

Old 02-27-2019, 02:07 AM

1,513 posts, read 798,629 times
I'm not excusing the criminal act whatsoever, but 23 is 5 years removed from high school age. There's nothing strange about a couple that's 23 and 28, they'd have plenty of things in common. The teachers under 50 that I've known as an adult prefer to teach in elementary or middle school, while the almost-retirees take on HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or