U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 07:29 AM

1,120 posts, read 1,018,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I'm not excusing the criminal act whatsoever, but 23 is 5 years removed from high school age. There's nothing strange about a couple that's 23 and 28, they'd have plenty of things in common. The teachers under 50 that I've known as an adult prefer to teach in elementary or middle school, while the almost-retirees take on HS.
It's entirely possible that the student was 18. The teacher's grandmother may have been able to have sex with the student without violating a single law. The student's 23 year old manager at Subway may have been able to have sex with him without violating any law. These cases become strange when you think about them that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 07:54 AM

9,583 posts, read 2,434,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
It's entirely possible that the student was 18. The teacher's grandmother may have been able to have sex with the student without violating a single law. The student's 23 year old manager at Subway may have been able to have sex with him without violating any law. These cases become strange when you think about them that way.
You are exactly right, but many folks will say its not about age (when a teacher has a relationship with a student), its more to do with the teacher being in a position of authority over the student (THAT is the real concern)...but no one seems to mind when a 40 yr old college professor sleeps with 19 or 20 yr old students!

Old 02-27-2019, 07:57 AM

33,743 posts, read 41,498,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You are exactly right, but many folks will say its not about age (when a teacher has a relationship with a student), its more to do with the teacher being in a position of authority over the student (THAT is the real concern)...but no one seems to mind when a 40 yr old college professor sleeps with 19 or 20 yr old students!
That's started to change over the last ten or so years with colleges putting in some rules constraining it.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:41 AM

6,016 posts, read 2,147,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

Actually, that's not true. There are colleges that forbid dating between teachers and undergraduate students. Basically for the same reasons as in high school. Harvard officially bans sexual relationships between teachers and students. Stamford, Yale, William and Mary, and University of Connecticutt ban it as well.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:29 AM

5,177 posts, read 2,136,138 times
I have a good friend who has been a band director for 27 years. The background on his computer screen is a collage of all the band directors who went to jail for nailing a student. Band directors in particular seem to have this problem, chiefly because they'll have the same students for several years, it involves long practices in the summer, camps away from home, and trips to high school games and competitions.

This guy is pretty scrupulous about what he allows in terms of interaction. He always has an ample number of chaperones and certainly doesn't allow in terms of student contact but, even so, he had a couple of different students develop crushes on him. He did all the right things, including proactively going to the principal and reporting what he felt was an uncomfortable situation. As he put it, "Going to jail isn't my idea of fun."

On the other hand, I used to be a drum instructor for several high school bands. I was 21 at the time, having marched drum corps and all. There was one high school band director who mistakenly thought I was his buddy, so he kept trying to confide in me as he rated the girls. He never admitted to actually having inappropriate contact with one of them, but I wouldn't have been surprised had he done so. There was one majorette who was about to be a senior, and he kept pushing her on me. He essentially invited me to sit on the band bus with her on a long trip to a football game. I was young and, even then, knew that was kind of skeevy. So I mumbled some excuses. Looking back, I should have just said, "No way. Quit pimping your students." But I needed the cash.

But in truth, there isn't a big age difference between a 22- or 23-year-old and an 18-year-old.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yep, right on cue with the teacher/student fantasy aspect.

Yes, but it also speaks to a difference in perception.

If a male teacher is discovered having sex with a female student, a lynch mob would form within nanoseconds.

If a female teacher is discovered having sex with a male student, the attitude is markedly different. Up until recently, the punishment was tantamount to a slap on the wrist.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Yes. People had morals back in your day and mine (50s/60s). Teacher/student relationships were unheard of.

For people to insist that schools should teach the teachers not do have relations with their students shows how screwed up society is. Morals can't be taught to an adult. They must be instilled in a child by the parents, by example, and yes, even by the church and the neighbors. As much as I dislike Hillary, I agree that it takes a village to raise a child.

When the village stops teaching, the parents stop raising, the neighbors stop caring, and the schools worry more about the children bowing their heads in prayer, society ends up with predatory teachers and students who submit to their lusts rather than their studies.

Do you honest to God believe this?

I'm 56 and my uber-hot German teacher banged a guy on my football team at a conference. I know this because I was at that conference and saw them making out before he went to her room. And my chemistry teacher married a student in the class behind me nanoseconds after high school graduation. I don't believe for a skinny minute that they weren't making the beast with two backs in the lab.

The only reason those relationships were unheard of was because people didn't talk about them.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:00 AM

15,436 posts, read 17,478,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
23 isnít barely out of high school
One of the arguments against legalizing marijuana is that people's brain chemistry, particularly the frontal lobe which governs impulse control and decision making, is not fully formed until around the age of 25-26.

So why would you put these people in a position of unaudited supervision over a few dozen similarly mentally undeveloped people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Dang where were these teachers when I was growing up?
When I was a teen I wanted to have sex with girls my own age, not mentally deficient adults.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:16 AM

6,572 posts, read 1,646,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
One of the arguments against legalizing marijuana is that people's brain chemistry, particularly the frontal lobe which governs impulse control and decision making, is not fully formed until around the age of 25-26.

So why would you put these people in a position of unaudited supervision over a few dozen similarly mentally undeveloped people?

There are lots of arguments against legalizing marijuana and most if not all are bogus.

Give me a break. These are college grads. They had to control impulses and make good decisions to graduate and get their degree. They are not putting immature high school dropouts supervising classrooms. Some people mature faster than others. I would say the ones who graduate college in 4 years or so are in that group.

On top of that it is a fraction of 1% that do this sort of thing its not an epidemic. So even without fully formed brains very few hook up with their students.

But if you are really concerned that people under 25 have not fully formed brains make 25 the age of consent, for voting, using cigarettes, alcohol, marijuana, becoming teachers, joining the military, etc.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:16 AM

178 posts, read 47,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Whatever happened to Verna? I'd like to subscribe to her newsletter.
Last time I saw her, she was on TV. One Christmas, these beauty pageant winners did a donation drive for canned food and presents, and they drove around handing out gift baskets. A television news crew followed them, recording for the evening news. When it aired, there on TV, I saw dear Verna with her husband and kids, receiving a donation basket. It made me smile to see her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or