U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-03-2019, 09:46 PM
 
18,949 posts, read 15,726,812 times
Reputation: 35667

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rftw View Post
I just don't think that's true though. Do you really think a fly has the same psychological understanding/appreciation of pain and fear as humans? Or a cow?
Yes I think they understand pain and terror, but to me it s worse in some ways because they donít/canít understand why itís happening to them. Animals and children have a total and complete innocence that to me makes it more reprehensible to do horrible things to either. Anything you can lure through itsí innocent trust, anything that will come bounding up to you and then to hurt it and cause it agonizing pain and terror? When it walked right up to you eager to meet you? That is the lowest of the low in my opinion and deserves a special place in hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2019, 11:55 PM
 
Location: So Cal
14,252 posts, read 10,433,902 times
Reputation: 12967
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes I think they understand pain and terror, but to me it s worse in some ways because they don’t/can’t understand why it’s happening to them. Animals and children have a total and complete innocence that to me makes it more reprehensible to do horrible things to either. Anything you can lure through its’ innocent trust, anything that will come bounding up to you and then to hurt it and cause it agonizing pain and terror? When it walked right up to you eager to meet you? That is the lowest of the low in my opinion and deserves a special place in hell.
That's exactly how I feel. And I think that's why I'm accused so often of caring more about animals than humans. But I don't think that's the case. I'm just naturally on the side of the "underdog." (For a ridiculous example, if I'm watching any sport, I'm on the side of the losing team. Once they get ahead in the score, I automatically switch over in favor of the other team. It's a sickness, I tell ya. lol)

Anyway, if there's some helpless, trusting being (babies, kids, animals) being hurt, it just makes me mad and brings out the protector mode. Of course I don't like adult humans being abused, and I fight against that all the time, but the thought of some little being, being abused, and they have no idea of what's going on or why this person is hurting them, it just drives me crazy.

Like has been evidenced in this thread, people are more likely to protect their own species, so that's another reason I protect animals, because humans are more likely to protect their own, so it feels like we're already covered there (as far as that goes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2019, 07:20 AM
 
18,949 posts, read 15,726,812 times
Reputation: 35667
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
That's exactly how I feel. And I think that's why I'm accused so often of caring more about animals than humans. But I don't think that's the case. I'm just naturally on the side of the "underdog." (For a ridiculous example, if I'm watching any sport, I'm on the side of the losing team. Once they get ahead in the score, I automatically switch over in favor of the other team. It's a sickness, I tell ya. lol)

Anyway, if there's some helpless, trusting being (babies, kids, animals) being hurt, it just makes me mad and brings out the protector mode. Of course I don't like adult humans being abused, and I fight against that all the time, but the thought of some little being, being abused, and they have no idea of what's going on or why this person is hurting them, it just drives me crazy.

Like has been evidenced in this thread, people are more likely to protect their own species, so that's another reason I protect animals, because humans are more likely to protect their own, so it feels like we're already covered there (as far as that goes).
Canít rep you again but I echo your feelings exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2019, 01:54 PM
 
Location: southern kansas
8,114 posts, read 5,462,247 times
Reputation: 17640
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
That's exactly how I feel. And I think that's why I'm accused so often of caring more about animals than humans. But I don't think that's the case. I'm just naturally on the side of the "underdog." (For a ridiculous example, if I'm watching any sport, I'm on the side of the losing team. Once they get ahead in the score, I automatically switch over in favor of the other team. It's a sickness, I tell ya. lol)

Anyway, if there's some helpless, trusting being (babies, kids, animals) being hurt, it just makes me mad and brings out the protector mode. Of course I don't like adult humans being abused, and I fight against that all the time, but the thought of some little being, being abused, and they have no idea of what's going on or why this person is hurting them, it just drives me crazy.

Like has been evidenced in this thread, people are more likely to protect their own species, so that's another reason I protect animals, because humans are more likely to protect their own, so it feels like we're already covered there (as far as that goes).
That would be my criteria as well. In my mind, most (I said most, not all) humans have the mental and/or physical ability to protect & defend themselves against their own species, and most others. Animals, especially smaller types, don't necessarily have that ability. To say we should care more about human abuse than animal abuse is comparing apples to oranges in the first place, and second, we certainly have the ability to do both at the same time. Taking advantage of, and abusing the helpless is the same IMO, regardless of the species. And keep in mind that many of the animals that suffer this abuse are the very ones we've domesticated and taught to trust us. That puts the obligation on us to keep our part of that bargain, and stop that abuse from happening.

Last edited by catdad7x; 03-04-2019 at 02:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2019, 04:56 PM
 
36 posts, read 4,105 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes I think they understand pain and terror, but to me it s worse in some ways because they donít/canít understand why itís happening to them. Animals and children have a total and complete innocence that to me makes it more reprehensible to do horrible things to either. Anything you can lure through itsí innocent trust, anything that will come bounding up to you and then to hurt it and cause it agonizing pain and terror? When it walked right up to you eager to meet you? That is the lowest of the low in my opinion and deserves a special place in hell.
OK, well I don't believe flies understand pain and terror to nearly the same degree as humans. But understand, like you, I abhor the abuse of animals. I just believe human life is inherently more valuable than animal life.

But back to this case, I still think there's something not right here. Given that it's just a dog, I don't expect the police to investigate much further so we'll probably never know, but the boyfriend's behavior doesn't strike me as normal. If you found your dog had just been attacked in your home by people you heard running away, wouldn't you call 911?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2019, 07:05 PM
 
18,949 posts, read 15,726,812 times
Reputation: 35667
Quote:
Originally Posted by rftw View Post
OK, well I don't believe flies understand pain and terror to nearly the same degree as humans. But understand, like you, I abhor the abuse of animals. I just believe human life is inherently more valuable than animal life.

But back to this case, I still think there's something not right here. Given that it's just a dog, I don't expect the police to investigate much further so we'll probably never know, but the boyfriend's behavior doesn't strike me as normal. If you found your dog had just been attacked in your home by people you heard running away, wouldn't you call 911?

I wasn't talking about the flies, but mammals certainly do.


My fiance would have run after them to kick their a**es, with me running after him dialing 911!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2019, 07:31 PM
 
36 posts, read 4,105 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I wasn't talking about the flies, but mammals certainly do.


My fiance would have run after them to kick their a**es, with me running after him dialing 911!
That's what I'm sayin... I can understand if he didn't want to give chase, but to just call the girlfriend at school, wait for her to get home, and then go to the vet. His reaction was not normal for the situation he claimed to be in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2019, 09:54 PM
 
18,949 posts, read 15,726,812 times
Reputation: 35667
Quote:
Originally Posted by rftw View Post
That's what I'm sayin... I can understand if he didn't want to give chase, but to just call the girlfriend at school, wait for her to get home, and then go to the vet. His reaction was not normal for the situation he claimed to be in.
No youíre right. That is weird. Maybe it was revenge due to something he did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM
 
36 posts, read 4,105 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No youíre right. That is weird. Maybe it was revenge due to something he did?
Hard to say. I'm guessing he didn't want the dog around for some reason. I really don't want to accuse this guy of doing something so terrible, but his story just doesn't make sense. If a real journalist had talked to him, that would've been one of his first questions. "These people invaded your home and fatally injured your pet. You certainly knew that's both a crime and an emergency. Why didn't you call 911"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top