U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-12-2019, 01:39 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,456 posts, read 14,303,163 times
Reputation: 23200

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Where are you getting this? I said I reported an employer whom I knew to be violating labor laws, and that if you know of any, you should too.
Because you keep putting the onus on the employee, not on the employer where it belongs. Would you still have reported it if it didn't affect you personally? Did you view your co-workers as less than because they didn't report it, maybe because they were afraid to, didn't know how to, or didn't have many opportunities to quit and move on like you did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2019, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,619 posts, read 6,601,212 times
Reputation: 12040
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualBaseball View Post
Who's ths Bradberry guy?
And why do you believe him?
Where did you quote this material from?




How does this support your argument?

This talks about how people learn from their mistakes
A neurologist, who studies and teaches human behaviors.

I have plenty of reason to believe him, as what he said makes sense, and he's devoted quite some time to studying this very topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualBaseball View Post
Where did you quote this material from?
The link I posted. It's in the very post you quoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualBaseball View Post
How does this support your argument?

This talks about how people learn from their mistakes
Blaming others for ones mistakes -- The mistake here being working for someone illegally cheating them out of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,619 posts, read 6,601,212 times
Reputation: 12040
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Because you keep putting the onus on the employee, not on the employer where it belongs. Would you still have reported it if it didn't affect you personally? Did you view your co-workers as less than because they didn't report it, maybe because they were afraid to, didn't know how to, or didn't have many opportunities to quit and move on like you did?
If I knew about it and had factual evidence of it? Sure, I'd report them. I have nothing to lose except for a few seconds to a minute by doing so.

No, I didn't view my co-workers as "less." I figured they were just content with the way things were.

If someone complained about not getting their earned OT pay, yet did nothing about it, (not even approaching management or HR) well, I do think that's pretty foolish. To each their own. If an employer is not paying me my earned income, I'm not going to work there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 01:52 PM
 
301 posts, read 64,758 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
A neurologist, who studies and teaches human behaviors.

I have plenty of reason to believe him, as what he said makes sense, and he's devoted quite some time to studying this very topic

The link I posted.



Blaming others for ones mistakes -- The mistake here being working for someone illegally cheating them out of money.

That is not mentioned in the sciencedaily.com link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,619 posts, read 6,601,212 times
Reputation: 12040
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualBaseball View Post

That is not mentioned in the sciencedaily.com link
https://www.amazon.com/Emotional-Int...26280481&psc=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,619 posts, read 6,601,212 times
Reputation: 12040
This is veering way off topic. Use "uneducated" if you'd like. (Please do not take this as me equating education with intelligence)

My stance on this: Unless the employee is a 1099 employee, they are not entitled to a tip, as the employer is supposed to match minimum wage if their earnings fall below the threshold. Whether or not the employer abides by the law is a topic that belongs in a different thread.

Here, the driver was a 1099 (Uber.) As a person who depends solely on miles driven and tips for earnings, it behooves this person to deliver impeccable service. More often than not, a tip will be received. Often, a generous tip. Many people (such as myself) give a tip AFTER the service has been delivered, as how much I give depends largely on the quality of the service.

This person made an assumption that the "tip" received in the app was the final tip, and paid for it. Maybe it was, or maybe the customer was just waiting on the delivery to adjust the amount.

Hopefully this person learned a hard lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 02:20 PM
 
301 posts, read 64,758 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
So, why did you include the science.com link that doesn't support your argument?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
This is veering way off topic. Use "uneducated" if you'd like. (Please do not take this as me equating education with intelligence)
Education may be one of many factors that contribute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,619 posts, read 6,601,212 times
Reputation: 12040
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualBaseball View Post
So, why did you include the science.com link that doesn't support your argument?
I meant to quote a link to his book. Quoted an article that used excerpts from his book instead. My mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 02:25 PM
 
301 posts, read 64,758 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I meant to quote a link to his book. Quoted an article that used excerpts from his book instead. My mistake.
You quoted the sciencedaily.com article that has nothing to do with what you're trying to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post

Smart people also know that every mistake is a chance to learn to do better next time. A neurological study conducted by Jason S. Moser of Michigan State University has shown that the brains of smart people actually react differently to mistakes.


https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0930153048.htm
Was that also a mistake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,619 posts, read 6,601,212 times
Reputation: 12040
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualBaseball View Post
You quoted the sciencedaily.com article that has nothing to do with what you're trying to say


Was that also a mistake?
Yes. It was a mistake. And I acknowledged it. Without blaming anyone for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top