U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-01-2019, 05:17 AM
 
18,413 posts, read 20,154,644 times
Reputation: 26943

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I wonder how much this kind of thing happens? I've certainly heard of cooks spitting in the food.

I wonder in cases where there is a delivery involved, and no one is watching the person, how often the food is tainted?

In a kitchen with other employees it's a little hard to spit in (or in this case, put your genitals in) food, but a delivery guy . . .

Had they not been so stupid to post this publicly, no one would ever know.
I had friends who worked fast food back in the day. You would be surprised at what goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-01-2019, 09:47 AM
 
5,248 posts, read 5,173,378 times
Reputation: 6242
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Yeah, this doesn't sound right. Who tips before hand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Something tastes off about this story.

So, I assume this was Uber Eats or similar? I don't use it, so perhaps someone can explain.. Why would you tip PRIOR to service being provided? Is that how it works? I mean, I don't think I'd want to leave a nice tip and then the service is crappy..

If the tip is left at time of delivery.. How did they know the tip was only 89 cents?
I have used other delivery services and often times you can tip AHEAD of time on the order. So if you only have a CC on you and you want to tip, you can do so and have everything included ahead of time. It will ask you if you want to tip and if you are already paying with a CC, many people just throw it all together, like they do when they dine in a restaurant.


You don't have to tip and you can tip in cash when they show up. But if you have delivery drivers assuming you aren't tipping and then possibly do something to my food: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,642 posts, read 6,616,903 times
Reputation: 12097
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I have used other delivery services and often times you can tip AHEAD of time on the order. So if you only have a CC on you and you want to tip, you can do so and have everything included ahead of time. It will ask you if you want to tip and if you are already paying with a CC, many people just throw it all together, like they do when they dine in a restaurant.


You don't have to tip and you can tip in cash when they show up. But if you have delivery drivers assuming you aren't tipping and then possibly do something to my food: .
I don't think they can see the tip until after the order is delivered...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 10:14 AM
 
3,605 posts, read 3,167,860 times
Reputation: 10809
People who act like this probably didn't deserve a tip in the first place.

I was a waitress about 30 years ago. It was a different time then. A good tip was 10-15%. There were people who did not tip based on principle. You accepted that and moved on. You didn't stand around and gripe about it. We did have one employee we called 'The Hog'. She remembered who tipped and who didn't. She would pass off the non-tippers who did not tip to us younger waitresses. Then she would brag about how high her tips were each night. Someone finally fired her after I left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 12:33 PM
 
6,584 posts, read 2,373,498 times
Reputation: 15132
Just for clarification...


There were 2 people in the car. The guy who dipped his balls was the passenger, and the person driving (who, according to other sources was female) made the video and posted it to Facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 01:13 PM
 
6,205 posts, read 2,865,717 times
Reputation: 15721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I had friends who worked fast food back in the day. You would be surprised at what goes on.
You are right! I would be surprised . I worked in such places and our policy was : they followed the consumer rule. They paid for the products. They are under zero obligation to tip anyone. Period. So I guess my Co workers and I weren't misguided by assuming a tip is a forced part of the consumers agreement to pay . It wasn't our food . So we didn't add to the recipe . Get it.
Got it. Good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 02:11 PM
 
2,132 posts, read 1,004,262 times
Reputation: 8673
re the trustworthiness of delivery guys:

I went to a local pizza place awhile back and asked for an uncooked pizza. I came back to pick it up - and they had cooked the damn thing. They told me they couldn't let me take it out of the kitchen raw in case of contamination. They had to cook it first to make sure it wasn't germ-encrusted.

If your pizza isn't safe raw, it isn't safe cooked. If it is unsafe for me to take your pizza home and cook it myself because its all germy, it isn't going to be any safer coming out of your oven. Its fine to send it out unsupervised for delivery, but I can't pick it up and take it home and cook it in my own oven on my own pizza stone, because only 19 yo stoners can be trusted with a pizza.

I have never set foot in any store belonging to that chain ever again. And I won't order for delivery, either. It may get here in 30 mins or less, but its still too soggy by the time it gets here. Much better to bake it yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 02:17 PM
 
2,132 posts, read 1,004,262 times
Reputation: 8673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
People who act like this probably didn't deserve a tip in the first place.

I was a waitress about 30 years ago. It was a different time then. A good tip was 10-15%. There were people who did not tip based on principle. You accepted that and moved on. You didn't stand around and gripe about it. We did have one employee we called 'The Hog'. She remembered who tipped and who didn't. She would pass off the non-tippers who did not tip to us younger waitresses. Then she would brag about how high her tips were each night. Someone finally fired her after I left.
I used to frequent an oyster bar where I used to live. As in I would eat there at least once a week.

I am female, and that is germane to the story.

I came in and bellied up to the bar one night and waited for someone to come take my order. Two waitresses were standing less than 10 feet from me, in the doorway to the kitchen. I could hear them both quite clearly.

One looked over at me and said to the other, "OH MY GOD! She is such a bad tipper! I hate having to serve her!"

The other looked over, saw me, grinned a huge grin, and said, "I'll take her!"

One of the two always gave me good service, and the other always gave me short shrift so she could flirt with her male customers. Guess who was which.

So for you waitstaff who think all women tip poorly - no. We don't. Unless you are routinely giving us bad service. We just don't tip for T&A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Central Florida
3,368 posts, read 1,796,473 times
Reputation: 11446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
re the trustworthiness of delivery guys:

I went to a local pizza place awhile back and asked for an uncooked pizza. I came back to pick it up - and they had cooked the damn thing. They told me they couldn't let me take it out of the kitchen raw in case of contamination. They had to cook it first to make sure it wasn't germ-encrusted.

If your pizza isn't safe raw, it isn't safe cooked. If it is unsafe for me to take your pizza home and cook it myself because its all germy, it isn't going to be any safer coming out of your oven. Its fine to send it out unsupervised for delivery, but I can't pick it up and take it home and cook it in my own oven on my own pizza stone, because only 19 yo stoners can be trusted with a pizza.

I have never set foot in any store belonging to that chain ever again. And I won't order for delivery, either. It may get here in 30 mins or less, but its still too soggy by the time it gets here. Much better to bake it yourself.
It always amazes me what people think a restaurant will do. Why in the hell would you request an uncooked pizza? Just get a frozen one from a grocery store and cook it yourself. I am guessing it is a code violation or store policy not to provide a raw pizza.

True story, worked in a restaurant going through college. A guy came in and ordered a raw NY steak and six raw eggs. The manage came out and said we cannot provide you with uncooked food. The guy threw a tantrum and had to be escorted out of the restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,041 posts, read 45,034,695 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So, I assume this was Uber Eats or similar? I don't use it, so perhaps someone can explain.. Why would you tip PRIOR to service being provided? Is that how it works? I mean, I don't think I'd want to leave a nice tip and then the service is crappy..

If the tip is left at time of delivery.. How did they know the tip was only 89 cents?
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Yeah, this doesn't sound right. Who tips before hand?
If you order food online and pay with credit/debit, you can add a tip beforehand... sometimes the customer will add some cash at delivery, though, so he may have jumped the gun there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top