Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 03:33 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
If you choose to do business with an establishment where the business model is that a portion of an employee's earning comes directly from the customer, and then you decide to game the system for your own benefit (thereby screwing the employee out of that portion of their earnings), and if you're poorly-thought-out excuse is that this amounts to a 'subsidy', then you're just cheap and selfish. Period.
First of all, I have never in my life ordered food or groceries delivered to my house so this story does not and will not apply to me. I don't patronize the type of businesses under discussion in this thread.

However, it is my opinion that the business model for all businesses should be that the business owner pay the employee for all work and not the customer. If a customer chooses to tip someone, that's fine, but no customer should be chastised for "screwing out" the employee. It is the business owner who is doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 05:02 PM

19,386 posts, read 15,220,746 times
"Huevos rancheros."

Years ago, I was waiting in line at a drive-through late at night, and a guy was standing to the side telling everyone not to buy their food, that he had worked there and that they did gross things to the food. He didn't say what... I wondered whether he was just a disgruntled ex-employee or if he was telling the truth.

You hear about this so much, seems like it's pretty common. Once in a while, while eating out, it occurs to me and I... just try not to think about it. But if I knew that a person did things like this to someone's food, for whatever reason, I would have nothing to do with them. I don't care if people think it's funny or that the rude customer deserved it, I qualify it as sick behavior. *shudder*

Old 03-02-2019, 06:28 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
There is a certain Japanese restaurant that I go to, which serves a dish that includes raw beef, which I very much enjoy.
It sounds like you are describing beef tataki. If so, it is very rare, but is not raw.

Beef tataki refers to a Japanese method of preparing fillet beef, where the meat is lightly seared, marinated, sliced thinly similar to sashimi, and served with Ponzu, a citrus-soy dipping sauce.

https://www.japancentre.com/en/recipes/418-beef-tataki

Old 03-03-2019, 05:53 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,851 times
First of all, bad tippers suck. Those people should be ashamed of themselves. Anyone who tips crappy (assuming good service) should be ashamed of themselves.

However, that sure doesn't excuse what this guy did.

The thing is, so many people don't realize how serious of a crime this is. FELONY. The evidence is right there on tape, he's screwed.

It's something people laugh about in some cases, but it's a very very serious thing. My husband knows someone who knows someone who spent 3 years in prison for putting cleaning stuff in someones' food.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:27 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
First of all, bad tippers suck. Those people should be ashamed of themselves. Anyone who tips crappy (assuming good service) should be ashamed of themselves.

However, that sure doesn't excuse what this guy did.

The thing is, so many people don't realize how serious of a crime this is. FELONY. The evidence is right there on tape, he's screwed.

It's something people laugh about in some cases, but it's a very very serious thing. My husband knows someone who knows someone who spent 3 years in prison for putting cleaning stuff in someones' food.
OK, cleaning stuff is poison and can kill you even in small amounts. There is no comparison. If the person eating the salsa hadn't known what the man did, he'd go about his life with no harm done.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
OK, cleaning stuff is poison and can kill you even in small amounts. There is no comparison. If the person eating the salsa hadn't known what the man did, he'd go about his life with no harm done.
Wrong. What if the man had some communicable disease that got into the dip?

That's just as bad.

And hey look I served for years, I get it. Bad tippers (assuming good service) or people just looking to be jerks to waitstaff deserve a special place in hell, and I mean that with every single atom in me.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:54 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I hate cheap tippers, especially d- bags that don't tip delivery drivers
As a retired licenced London Black Cab driver, I hear you loud and clear, jeez, 89c for a
30 mile trip, but I don’t think I’d have dipped the boys in a bad tippers Chinese take out.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:57 PM

17,564 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Some people enjoy 'steak tartar'. I have eaten plenty of raw eggs with no ill effects. The manager should have said "...we will not provide...", there is a difference in the two statements. There is a certain Japanese restaurant that I go to, which serves a dish that includes raw beef, which I very much enjoy.

I wonder the rules. Yes, there are places that do "tartar" dishes... In theory, they've gone through some kind of training to be able to safely serve that food.

Most places now have to have people go through food handling/preparation courses to prevent another jack in the box type situation where hundreds of people are sickened by e-coli.

And.. I would assume that the beef used in 'tartar' dishes might be differently handled in some way? Anyone know the answer to that? I'd assume a restaurant couldn't just go down to the local Aldi and pick up steak from the butcher? Or could they?

So, honestly here.. I don't know if it was a "Will not" or "Can not".. It really could go either way.

I do know that if I wasn't trained to provide raw food, I wouldn't provide it. If they take it home and cook it and don't get it up to proper temps.. Liability-wise, if I were a restaurant owner.. It would become a 'will not' if it wasn't a 'can not' due to regulations already.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:02 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
A Tennessee man was jailed on felony charges after appearing to dip his testicles into a container of salsa that a customer had ordered online. The delivery driver allegedly recorded it and posted a video online, saying “This is what you get when you give an 89 cents tip for an almost 30-minute drive.”

The dipper was a passenger with the delivery driver. News outlets report that the passenger, 31-year-old Howard Matthew Webb, was arrested last week and charged with adulteration of food.

https://5newsonline.com/2019/02/27/m...stomers-salsa/
The next time someone rolls their eyes and says "I should have known--Florida," I am going to send them this article.

Thanks Tennessee crazies--Florida appreciates it.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The next time someone rolls their eyes and says "I should have known--Florida," I am going to send them this article.

Thanks Tennessee crazies--Florida appreciates it.
With all due respect to my lovely southern brothers and sisters in the great state of Florida, we have a LONNNNNGGGG way to go to catch up to you guys, crazy wise.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events