U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2019, 12:06 PM
 
301 posts, read 63,370 times
Reputation: 204

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
service people believe they deserve an excellent tip no matter how sub-par the service, I can see the attitude morphing in to tip them now at the beginning before you receive the pizza.
It's a good idea, no?

What's your job?
Do you think you customers should just be able to pay you whatever they feel?

Time to do away with this dumb practice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-10-2019, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,550 posts, read 6,538,041 times
Reputation: 11929
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualBaseball View Post
It's a good idea, no?

What's your job?
Do you think you customers should just be able to pay you whatever they feel?

Time to do away with this dumb practice
What, tipping? If so, I agree. The employer should be paying the employees appropriate wages. A tip should not be expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2019, 10:03 AM
bjh
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
30,385 posts, read 23,721,791 times
Reputation: 122224
This is why you don't let strangers have access to your food alone in their vehicle. It's chancy enough that cruds might do something in a restaurant kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2019, 11:05 AM
 
Location: SoCal
13,002 posts, read 6,220,752 times
Reputation: 9579
I hope it was habaneros in the dipping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2019, 08:56 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
4,674 posts, read 2,522,053 times
Reputation: 9098
Default Tips should not be percentage-based

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
If you disagree with the concept of tipping the proper response is to not patronize a business that uses it. If you know that a business relies on tipping as a part of the employee's wage and you refuse to tip "on principle" you are "screwing out" the employee, a choice you consciously make.
I do disagree with the concept, and I did not say that I don't tip, because I do tip, but that I think the model is not the way these businesses should be run. Small businesses should not get a pass for treating their employees poorly by not paying them for the work that they do. I should point out that I am very willing to pay higher prices if those higher prices include full wages for service employees.

For the record, I am a very generous tipper when someone does an exceptional job (over and above) and/or makes us feel truly special through their efforts, but it annoys me that tips have grown to be such a huge and expected part of dining out, especially the nonsense of tipping as a percentage of the meal. A waiter who delivers a $50 meal does not deserve a greater dollar amount tip than one who delivers a $20 meal. We nevertheless still tip, and usually 15%-17% with ordinary service, but I hate expected tipping so much that it is a major reason that we choose not to dine out as often as we once did. It takes away from the enjoyment of eating out. The other main reason is that restaurant food is rarely made from the high quality ingredients that we buy to eat at home. For example, we buy organic produce, mostly organic meat, eggs (pasture-raised) and dairy and that is not what you are getting at most restaurants.

I would prefer if prices include all costs and no tipping were expected or required. But tipping as a percentage of a meal is what bothers me most of all. It really irritates me that a waiter in an expensive restaurant who might do nothing more than take an order and then deliver it is actually working less than someone in a restaurant where many items are brought to the table in courses.

Small business owners need to step up and pay their employees a living wage and not expect their customers to do it for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2019, 09:27 PM
 
6,080 posts, read 2,801,057 times
Reputation: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
If you disagree with the concept of tipping the proper response is to not patronize a business that uses it. If you know that a business relies on tipping as a part of the employee's wage and you refuse to tip "on principle" you are "screwing out" the employee, a choice you consciously make.
Given that a employee is not entitled to a tip, and that the employee would make at least minimum wage even if no one tipped, what are they being screwed out of?

A tip is to reward outstanding service, it’s not some default amount that an employee is entitled to, “just because.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2019, 11:41 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,402 posts, read 14,246,108 times
Reputation: 22928
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Given that a employee is not entitled to a tip, and that the employee would make at least minimum wage even if no one tipped, what are they being screwed out of?

A tip is to reward outstanding service, it’s not some default amount that an employee is entitled to, “just because.”
I get that legally employees are supposed to make minimum wage if they don't make sufficient tips, but I hope people are savvy enough to realize that things don't always work the way they are supposed too. I hope they realize that a lot of employers who are supposed to make up those insufficient wages count on the naivete or fear of their employees not to question that either.

https://thehill.com/regulation/labor...tipping-scheme
Kingsport Times-News: Kingsport woman sues Johnny Brusco's over unpaid wages
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2019, 11:50 PM
 
6,080 posts, read 2,801,057 times
Reputation: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I get that legally employees are supposed to make minimum wage if they don't make sufficient tips, but I hope people are savvy enough to realize that things don't always work the way they are supposed too. I hope they realize that a lot of employers who are supposed to make up those insufficient wages count on the naivete or fear of their employees not to question that either.

https://thehill.com/regulation/labor...tipping-scheme
Kingsport Times-News: Kingsport woman sues Johnny Brusco's over unpaid wages
I understand that there are some people who will work for less than minimum wage, but what does that have to do with my post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2019, 02:16 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,402 posts, read 14,246,108 times
Reputation: 22928
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I understand that there are some people who will work for less than minimum wage, but what does that have to do with my post?
They don't agree to work for less than minimum wage. They have the expectation that they will make enough in tips, or if they don't make enough in tips to meet minimum wage their employer will make up the difference. Many of them them find out after the fact that their employers don't or won't make up the difference. People don't go into it thinking they'll be bringing home less than minimum wage.
People who don't tip, or cheap out on tipping, because they don't agree with the practice should stick with businesses that don't rely on supplementing wages with tips. If someone doesn't agree with the practice then they shouldn't support businesses that utilize it by patronizing them. Going to a restaurant where the servers rely on tips to make their wages and then refusing to tip 'on principle' is disingenuous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2019, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,550 posts, read 6,538,041 times
Reputation: 11929
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
They don't agree to work for less than minimum wage. They have the expectation that they will make enough in tips, or if they don't make enough in tips to meet minimum wage their employer will make up the difference. Many of them them find out after the fact that their employers don't or won't make up the difference. People don't go into it thinking they'll be bringing home less than minimum wage.
Illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top