U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 11:57 AM

35,081 posts, read 19,184,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It was a neighbor who complained. I think theyíre required to follow up. After a few emails back-and-forth the HOA apologized and dropped it. Sounds like they were embarrassed by the whole thing but they had to follow up. It is ridiculous.
Thanks for clarifying.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 12:06 PM

33,836 posts, read 41,911,495 times
Just a general comment.

For those of you who are sceptical never, ever, underestimate the idiocy of many who walk among us.

There were countless times in my 24 years as a local elected official that I was rendered speechless by the stupidity, many times, if not the vast majority, promulgated by those who would expend immense effort telling you how smart they are.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:40 PM

979 posts, read 554,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I feel the same way, but some people like structure and rules. My own neighborhood there is no H O Way, which I am glad of. But one of the reasons I am glad we donít have one is because we inherited the whole of a 30 foot boat that sits in our yard until we can afford to get it towed away. But it doesnít matter, because we pretty much fit right in in the neighborhood which is scattered with abandon boats and cars in the yards. We donít mind, because weíre pretty laid-back and we like it laid-back, but thereís a lot of people who would be bothered by that and in truth it does bring down house values. So while Iím glad we donít have an HOA, this is often what happens when there isnít one.
Sure, but what some (not saying you) just don't understand is that mostly when you have a nice neighborhood (like mine) we don't need an HOA to keep property values up...there's an (unspoken) understanding on my street that we all keep our houses looking nice. People with expensive houses usually generally don't let them go to pot.

My boat that is parked there is never abandoned, it's just convenient to leave there hooked up to my truck if I'm going to use it for a few consecutive days as opposed to towing it 10 miles away to storage just to go back and get it the next morning. Neighbors who have a problem with that (if any) can KMA. Anyone who has a legit problem with a boat a couple of nights a year in my yard can FO.

I will say that condos are a whole different animal and HOAs are necessary, which is why I'd also die before living in one of those. It's like buying an apartment, no thanks.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:47 PM

22,461 posts, read 24,016,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No one is the least bit skeptical of this story?

Original link doesn't work, so I have to rely on the Daily Mail link. So first, there's that credibility issue - the Daily Mail.

The woman is supposedly from Tennessee. I don't see any mention of the city so not sure where the "Oh, it's Knoxville!" came from. Tennessee is a big state.

The woman is "known as Kathryn." What does that even mean? Is that her stage name? Her alter ego? No last name given. Maybe she's like Prince, or Sting, or someone like that. Who knew?

Sheeze!
And according to the Daily Mail article, this whole thing is based on a Reddit thread. So that's some pretty hard-hitting journalism.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:54 PM

8,074 posts, read 2,383,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No one is the least bit skeptical of this story?

Original link doesn't work, so I have to rely on the Daily Mail link. So first, there's that credibility issue - the Daily Mail.

The woman is supposedly from Tennessee. I don't see any mention of the city so not sure where the "Oh, it's Knoxville!" came from. Tennessee is a big state.

The woman is "known as Kathryn." What does that even mean? Is that her stage name? Her alter ego? No last name given. Maybe she's like Prince, or Sting, or someone like that. Who knew?

Sheeze!
I'm skeptical as well, to say the least.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:04 PM

817 posts, read 222,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
AND, that she would assume that small children would recognize the shape she thinks she's seeing.

There's a lot wrong with her!
And, if they're old enough to recognize it, they're old enough to see it (because they probably already laugh about it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Reason #398490432203923348349389384393449483894398 to NEVER live where there's an HOA.

I'm not a violent person by any means but I would want to punch people who suck that badly in the face (not that I would). People who sit around and look for things to report or tattle on--- congratulations you suck in the worst way possible.
This. I hope I never have to live in old folks' apartments or an old folks' home. They have nothing better to do and it shows in nosiness, busybodying, gossip, and tattletaling. But I think some of the people who choose to live in places with HOAs are the same way; they choose to live somewhere with a lot of rules because they like a lot of rules, and like to catch other people out in "breaking" them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Living in an HOA is like answering to a landlord at an apartment complex.
Ohhhhh no it's not. I've never lived in an apartment building with the kind of BS rules HOAs tend to put out. Condo association, maybe.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:22 PM

20,316 posts, read 16,482,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
And, if they're old enough to recognize it, they're old enough to see it (because they probably already laugh about it).

This. I hope I never have to live in old folks' apartments or an old folks' home. They have nothing better to do and it shows in nosiness, busybodying, gossip, and tattletaling. But I think some of the people who choose to live in places with HOAs are the same way; they choose to live somewhere with a lot of rules because they like a lot of rules, and like to catch other people out in "breaking" them.

Ohhhhh no it's not. I've never lived in an apartment building with the kind of BS rules HOAs tend to put out. Condo association, maybe.
My ex and I bought a condo at the shore that was largely retirees, and it was exactly how you describe. They bickered about what color the new roof should be for weeks, and whenever we needed work done they wanted the cheapest bidder regardless of reputation. I always felt sorry for any workmen who came to do work in common areas. The poor guy would be encircled by a group of old men telling him heís not doing it correctly, youíre using the wrong wire, etc etc.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

LOL! Touche'. Apartments still angered me.....my last townhouse was 80 degrees upstairs so we put a window unit in. Office harassed us for weeks but I refused to take it down. Once they tried to fine me it got nasty.

And yes, I'll die before I take orders from some bosshog, bored, husband-never-touches-her housewife. Or anyone in charge of an HOA. Or anyone in an HOA.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:34 PM

3,578 posts, read 3,139,770 times
https://wwjnewsradio.radio.com/artic...nis-shape-snow

I can get the original link to work. I don't know anything about this news source.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
https://wwjnewsradio.radio.com/artic...nis-shape-snow

I can get the original link to work. I don't know anything about this news source.
Lol I'm actually from the city this allegedly took place in and I can't figure out where this was. And I've been digging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events