U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM

9,651 posts, read 4,383,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
My first thought was it's the shadow of a fire hydrant.
So did I! Apparently some of her neighbors have too much time on their hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM

6,245 posts, read 1,843,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Sure, but what some (not saying you) just don't understand is that mostly when you have a nice neighborhood (like mine) we don't need an HOA to keep property values up...there's an (unspoken) understanding on my street that we all keep our houses looking nice. People with expensive houses usually generally don't let them go to pot.

My boat that is parked there is never abandoned, it's just convenient to leave there hooked up to my truck if I'm going to use it for a few consecutive days as opposed to towing it 10 miles away to storage just to go back and get it the next morning. Neighbors who have a problem with that (if any) can KMA. Anyone who has a legit problem with a boat a couple of nights a year in my yard can FO.

I will say that condos are a whole different animal and HOAs are necessary, which is why I'd also die before living in one of those. It's like buying an apartment, no thanks.
Sounds reasonable, HOA rules determine whether boats, recreational vehicles, commercial vehicles etc. etc., are allowed to be parked in driveways. Depending on people to always follow the rules they signed to agree to is always a challenge. There's always knuckleheads on HOA boards and living in a community.

Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM

33,310 posts, read 40,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Sounds reasonable, HOA rules determine whether boats, recreational vehicles, commercial vehicles etc. etc., are allowed to be parked in driveways. Depending on people to always follow the rules they signed to agree to is always a challenge. There's always knuckleheads on HOA boards and living in a community.
It's not just HOAs. We technically ban boat parking as well as company logoed vehicles here in town (technically because it's not enforced). A primarily blue collar Bay side town, because rural pioneers from the more urban areas moved here and complained so much about them and found kindred spirits among elected officials who felt that blue collar people shouldn't live by the Chesapeake.

There have been attempts at enforcement from time to time but the optics always turn sour so there's a backing off.

Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM

13,803 posts, read 14,811,353 times
Picture reminds me of Tuna Can Tommy.

Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM

50,394 posts, read 40,688,958 times
I used to live in an HOA but it was a very very laid back HOA and I could tell by how some of the houses weren't pristinely kept up etc.

So, I broke my promise never to live in one and it worked out.

It worked out fine, no problems, but again that's an extreme exception.

Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM

5,299 posts, read 1,876,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
My first thought was it's the shadow of a fire hydrant.
I was thinking "fire hydrant" too.

Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM

2,029 posts, read 699,833 times
That must have been really hard on that poor home owner !

Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM

4,260 posts, read 6,522,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
5 pages in and it hasn't been brought up....but why didn't the concerned person simply grab a shovel and move some of the snow to make it a not penis if there was so much concern. Sure seems to be less work than writing up a fine letter.
Exactly what I thought as soon as I saw the picture. And I wonder why “Kathryn” didn’t ask that, either.

Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM

18,948 posts, read 15,726,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Exactly what I thought as soon as I saw the picture. And I wonder why “Kathryn” didn’t ask that, either.

Yes, it seems most of the outrage is toward the HOA, but I would not want to live next to that neighbor who sent in the photo and complained. She sounds nuts to me, Mrs. Kravitz for those old enough to know who that is. Probably peeking out of a corner of the curtain to see what people are up to that she doesn't approve of. Living near her would be just as awful in a neighborhood without a HOA.

Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM

1,579 posts, read 628,114 times
I didn't think it was shaped like anything. I had to stare at it for a few seconds. It's like when people see an opening and they automatically think it's a vagina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events