U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 06:55 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,254,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Does it really matter? She is doing something nice and kind and there is really no reason to try to put a negative spin on it.
Any child would have done the same if an influential adult had conceived, encouraged and assisted in the execution of thf enterprise. There is nothing unusual or special about Ruby. Children of that age have a natural inclination and desire to be helpful, kind and altruistic., and will jump at the opporunity to do so, especially if praised while doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 07:36 PM

1,459 posts, read 710,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Any child would have done the same if an influential adult had conceived, encouraged and assisted in the execution of thf enterprise. There is nothing unusual or special about Ruby. Children of that age have a natural inclination and desire to be helpful, kind and altruistic., and will jump at the opporunity to do so, especially if praised while doing so.
She is doing a nice thing and she is getting positive attention for it. If other kids take an example and do the same, great!

Old 03-03-2019, 09:29 AM

22,929 posts, read 4,791,322 times
I saw this on Sunday Morning on CBS. The residents were so thrilled....with their goodies she brought and that someone took time to listen and care. Some even cried....awesome to think of others and the elderly at age 11...

Old 03-03-2019, 01:06 PM

22,234 posts, read 27,206,479 times
Quote:
I have read several articles about the enterprise, none of which indicate that it was not originally Ruby's idea. I suspect most 11 year olds would lose interest quickly.

I agree that children can be kind - without an adult directing them.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-more-...orms-his-life/

Old 03-03-2019, 01:32 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,835,498 times
Glad to see some positive news. Good for this young girl.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:34 PM

4,797 posts, read 6,118,792 times
When I first posted this story I went on the GFM page and donations were just under $103K Just went back on there to see how this story has affected this total and it's just under $175K now. I have a feeling Ruby will be doing good for a VERY long time.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:48 PM

4,843 posts, read 3,753,856 times
Feel good story of the day!

Old 03-03-2019, 05:49 PM

4,843 posts, read 3,753,856 times
Quote:
The point in the end is that very few children do it regardless.

Old Today, 02:15 PM

9 posts, read 2,151 times
something is wrong with my eyes, they keep leaking.

Old Today, 07:10 PM

12,187 posts, read 10,059,318 times
Ruby is very sweet. It sounds like she innocently started asking the residents, out of curiosity, what 3 things they wished for, and she clearly expected very different and much more unattainable answers. When she realized they were basic items that are easy to get, she decided to grant their wishes and give them some simple things they want. She's a kind-hearted kid with a good idea. I'm sure the residents get excited when she comes around and that they enjoy the attention and love she is giving them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or