U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 09:37 AM

2,344 posts, read 892,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Things have definitely changed since I was 11. At that there were times I watched several kids.
My 3rd kid now aged 21 babysat for a neighbor (six houses down) often at age 11; their kids were 3 and 4- ish as I recall. But mine was very mature and stable. Almost overly mature, and responsible. I was always home just a few houses away when she did this and it was never at night. They paid her $10/hr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 09:41 AM

42,874 posts, read 51,316,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Because an 11 year old is still a child, they don't have the maturity or the capability of controlling their own emotions when frustrated, angry, tired, etc. so they act on them and don't think of or realize the consequences.
This is true of THIS 11 year old.
I know 7 year olds who are patient beyond description and wouldn't solve any problem by hitting a younger kid.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:33 AM

8,128 posts, read 5,479,518 times
At what age can a person evolve into a sociopath? Perhaps it is much younger than we think, and they certainly don't define and entire age group. It's only been a few generations since families were large, and older siblings were tasked with caring for the younger ones so the parents could work the farm to make a living.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:20 PM

3,485 posts, read 5,550,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
At what age can a person evolve into a sociopath? Perhaps it is much younger than we think, and they certainly don't define and entire age group. It's only been a few generations since families were large, and older siblings were tasked with caring for the younger ones so the parents could work the farm to make a living.
Yes but those kids are gradually groomed into their roll as responsible compassionate care givers...the article gives no information on the 11 year olds history. Who knows, it's quite possible she's either witnessed or experienced older kids been treated that way or seen violence in movies ect. Something does definately seem off about this girl but given her age in my mind it's still very questionable if her acts were intentionally criminal.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:34 PM

170 posts, read 35,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Eleven is not old enough to sit with a baby....who does that, leave a baby with a little kid....?
When my best friend and I were 10, her 18 year old sister left the baby with us in a Motel room in Richmond California. Her parents were on the trip but at dinner. Sister came back at 1am stoned. Maybe drunk too. She had to sober up before coming back.

My little friend often took care of the baby so knew how to feed and diaper.
Her mom was paralyzed in a wheelchair so she played care-giver a lot
The baby cried for hours while we watched Night of the Living Dead.
She tended to the baby, holding it for hours. Cannot remember if we had any food but it never crossed my mind.
She picked up the baby, had a maniac look in the eye, and began to shake.

I intervened immediately and took the baby into the bathroom for who knows how long.
The crying was deafening. Starting to believe the baby was sick.
As I opened our motel room door, here come her parents.

My panic explanation baby was baby was ill needing a Doctor and I was going to tell the front desk to call for an ambulance
They were shocked. When Sis showed up after a night of partying, she was in big trouble.

Never forgot that.

My friend is a wonderful parent.

Children don't belong in jail for things they are not biologically ready to handle

Last edited by FrugalFox; 03-03-2019 at 06:43 PM..

Old 03-03-2019, 06:39 PM

2,458 posts, read 1,044,791 times
When ever I see a headline that a baby was beaten to death, I can never read the story.

Just the headline literally makes me nauseous. To think that somebody could do that...

Old 03-04-2019, 12:15 AM

114 posts, read 79,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is true of THIS 11 year old.
I know 7 year olds who are patient beyond description and wouldn't solve any problem by hitting a younger kid.
It's good that you know a patient 7 year old. I don't know anybody under 12 who is patient. Anecdotes don't paint the whole picture. Somebody knowing somebody is not the same as statistics.

The fact is, a majority of 11 year old's are not mature enough to fully control their emotions in the face of relentless stress; ie, a baby crying.

Children have to be taught patience and love. Regardless of what people believe, they are not born with it. The default setting for children is animalistic and self serving.

Sorry for the negative post. Just reality. Doesn't make this story any less sad.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:54 AM

5,963 posts, read 1,031,752 times
Starting when I was 11 (1964-5), I was often left in charge of my younger siblings (then ages 9, 8, 4 and an infant) for up to several hours at a time. Nothing bad ever happened, except once the baby got a high fever. I put her in a tepid bath to cool her down, then toweled her off well, put fresh pj's on her, and all was well. (She went on to be valedictorian of her high school class, btw.)

I think as with most cases, it depends on the maturity of the child involved. I was "responsible" at nine years old, while many people are not responsible at 39 (or even older).

Btw, I am not advocating for such a huge responsibility for kids! (I actually resented it, and still do, to some extent.)

Old 03-04-2019, 10:03 AM
Status: "The stupidity of commercials is mind-boggling." (set 9 days ago)

3,204 posts, read 3,795,448 times
[quote=hawk55732;54579863]Things have definitely changed since I was 11. At that there were times

You said the right word, "changed". I had 8 nieces and nephew by that age so had experience with babies and young children, I was a mature 11 year old due to the times I grew up in and the age of my parents..........I began babysitting alone at 12 and truly felt like a protector of those in my care, I "felt" my responsibility. Can't say the same about today's youth. (As with all topics/things, this does not apply 100%).

Old 03-04-2019, 12:32 PM

8,128 posts, read 5,479,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Yes but those kids are gradually groomed into their roll as responsible compassionate care givers...the article gives no information on the 11 year olds history. Who knows, it's quite possible she's either witnessed or experienced older kids been treated that way or seen violence in movies ect. Something does definately seem off about this girl but given her age in my mind it's still very questionable if her acts were intentionally criminal.
All of the possible bad behavioral exposure & excuses aside, an 11 year old is still old enough to know right from wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or