U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 07:30 AM

636 posts, read 652,550 times

Advertisements

It's nice to see that he is continuing as Jeopardy host. My uncle lost his battle with Pancreatic cancer in 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 07:41 AM

3,984 posts, read 1,412,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
I found this, from the pancreatic cancer network:

https://www.pancan.org/news/increase...ected-in-2019/
My mom told me the other day that one of my uncles (my dad's BIL) has a mass in his pancreas, and he has been dropping weight.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:56 AM

3,984 posts, read 1,412,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Who the heck is Luke Perry?

Whoever he is, he definitely cannot compare to the national treasure that is Alex Trebek.
Well aren't you a young puppy (or old f*rt as the case may be). Luke Perry was my generation's James Dean and will forever be remembered for playing the role of Dylan McKay on "Beverly Hills 90210."

Old 03-13-2019, 01:44 PM

230 posts, read 121,141 times
Trust me, anyone who has made it onto Jeopardy wouldn't give a rat's ass if Trebek was poking a little fun at them. Contestants go through a lot of different challenges to be on the show and most who try will never make it. I got to try out back in 2003 and am trying out again this year. I passed the first two testing levels, but couldn't quite pull it off in the 3rd round, only about 3 or 4 out of maybe 75 made it that far. THEN, if you do pass all the testing you are put in a pool of contestants they MIGHT call. When/if you get the call, you have to get to the studio on your own dime, often on very short notice with no guarantee you'll even get to compete. If someone like Ken Jennings is on a long winning streak, there will be fewer contestants needed. So yeah, for these contestants, being on the show is a lifelong dream, just having the chance to compete is an extraordinary event, I doubt any of them feel put off by Alex at all, in fact, from what I've read, most find him a very gracious, funny host. It was hilarious about a year ago when NONE of the contestants knew any of the 5 questions in the football category, he just kept looking deadpan at the camera while the audience laughed.

All that to say, that news hit me hard. I've watched it daily for years and have always had great admiration for Trebek.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:47 PM

8,750 posts, read 6,026,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Well aren't you a young puppy (or old f*rt as the case may be). Luke Perry was my generation's James Dean and will forever be remembered for playing the role of Dylan McKay on "Beverly Hills 90210."
I had no idea who Luke Perry was either... I'm in my mid-30s... I just never paid an ounce of attention to "BH90210"

Old 03-17-2019, 12:07 PM

1,094 posts, read 510,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andie1969 View Post
Trust me, anyone who has made it onto Jeopardy wouldn't give a rat's ass if Trebek was poking a little fun at them. Contestants go through a lot of different challenges to be on the show and most who try will never make it. I got to try out back in 2003 and am trying out again this year. I passed the first two testing levels, but couldn't quite pull it off in the 3rd round, only about 3 or 4 out of maybe 75 made it that far. THEN, if you do pass all the testing you are put in a pool of contestants they MIGHT call. When/if you get the call, you have to get to the studio on your own dime, often on very short notice with no guarantee you'll even get to compete. If someone like Ken Jennings is on a long winning streak, there will be fewer contestants needed. So yeah, for these contestants, being on the show is a lifelong dream, just having the chance to compete is an extraordinary event, I doubt any of them feel put off by Alex at all, in fact, from what I've read, most find him a very gracious, funny host. It was hilarious about a year ago when NONE of the contestants knew any of the 5 questions in the football category, he just kept looking deadpan at the camera while the audience laughed.

All that to say, that news hit me hard. I've watched it daily for years and have always had great admiration for Trebek.
Yes, Alex is a class act all the way. Prayers for him.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:56 PM

18,967 posts, read 13,817,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingCat View Post
Sad to hear. I hope he has a speedy recovery!
There's no such thing as a speedy recovery from Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Zoisite, Trabek is rude.
No, he isn't. I've watched Jeopardy for decades and the man is quite amusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Too bad they did not catch it sooner. Would seeing a doctor annually for check ups have caught this sooner?
No.

It's very difficult to detect and it's symptoms mimic many other diseases and illnesses. Usually, by the time symptoms become pronounced enough to differentiate it, it's too late.

You can do pancreas transplants, but for Stage 4 anything, it's metastasized to other parts of the body.

My grandfather had regular checkups twice a year, one from the VA and one from his private doctor, but he never showed any symptoms, and when he finally did, it was already Stage 3. They caught it at the VA when he went for his physical. He always went there in October, his birth-month. He lived another 4 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Worth noting that those discussed in this thread including Trebek are/were no where near "obese" and in such likely not diabetic.
My grandfather was 6'4" maybe 175 pounds. That's hardly obese.

Pancreatic cancer is not unlike dementia. At age 65, men used to live to age 77 and women to age 78, but now men live to age 83 and women to age 86, so it's more prevalent than in the past.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:47 PM

3,225 posts, read 3,810,108 times
I found this article about pancreatic cancer from 2016 in my "Favorites" when doing an inventory. Interesting.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...nces-in-trial/

Old 03-18-2019, 05:13 AM

1,094 posts, read 510,389 times
I will be watching Jeopardy tonight, and every night, and appreciate it more, every night. Alex will be replaced at some point....we all are, but the show just won`t be the same. .
I know it`s only a TV show.....but with all the crap that`s on....this one is good for your brain.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:13 PM

12,302 posts, read 8,271,452 times
He will probably have around 1 years of life left or less. Usually Stage 4 means the cancer has advanced to other organs and it's a matter of time before organ failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events