U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM

33,123 posts, read 9,821,263 times

Advertisements

I love Alex and was sorry to hear of this. He looked (and sounded) the picture of health in his video announcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM

4,263 posts, read 4,242,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I always thought that he was a snot, but feel badly for his family.
Huhhh?
I have always found Mr Trebek to be the epitome of a gracious gentleman, and have enjoyed watching him on Jeopardy for as long as I can remember.

Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM

2,765 posts, read 1,411,761 times
Very sad. As others have indicated, Stage 4 pancreatic cancer has one of the poorest prognoses of any cancer, so unfortunately he will not have much more time.

Jeopardy became one of my favorite shows during the last few years. He has taken the news way better than anyone could have expected, so it seems like we will be able to enjoy seeing him for a little while longer. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM

11,637 posts, read 6,792,867 times
Sad. Most of us will probably get similar news one day.

Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM

269 posts, read 210,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Wonder why pancreatic cancer seems to be on the increase. Even non-smokers who don't have diabetes and aren't obese seem to come down with it more frequently.
A big reason this is usually not caught until later stages is there are few symptoms. By the time you have any pain you're already too far gone and it has spread to surrounding areas. Stage 4 pancreatic cancer patients have less than a 1% chance of surviving 5 years. My husband had been having some stomach issues that turned to pain. You know we changed up his diet a bit but one night it was so bad we went the ER. At first the nurse was very jovial and social. After the CT, he came in and with a very grim look, said the doctor would like to speak to you privately. Well, **** I thought, this can't be good. He showed us the scan and basically what it broke down to was cancer was everywhere.

We were referred to a surgeon who was the only one that at that time- performed an endoscopy and take a biopsy at the same time. After he said the same thing. I'm sorry but although we do still need the biopsy results, from my experience the cancer has spread everywhere in your abdominal cavity.

3 days later we were sitting in the oncologists office being told he MAY have 6 weeks to live. He started chemo right away and although very sick it seemed to work and the following October he took a break. It never went away but his numbers looked good enough for him to take a break. We took a family vacation but by December he was feeling a lot of pain again. It was back with a vengeance. He did one chemo and after was so sick. His right hand swelled up bright red and peeled and was so painful. We talked and he said I just can't do it anymore. That was January of 2015 and he decided to go on hospice care at home. Thank God I had a very stable job and they allowed me to work from home so I could take care of him. Weeks turned into months and although he lost a little weight, he was fairly stable. It was about the end of July he took a turn. I remember the hospice nurse said I would know. I knew. She had been there on Monday and when I called her on Thursday to come out and she saw him, she literally gasped.

3 weeks later he was finally at peace. My strong 6'4 250# man was merely a shell maybe weighing 130 pounds. He was 52 and the love of my life and Dad to our girls. There will never be another.

Praying for Alex Trebek.

Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM

4,690 posts, read 3,011,185 times
At this point you are looking for that Hail Mary pass and spontaneous remission a.k.a. a miracle! With Stage 4 pancreatic cancer to spontaneously go into remission (not even sure there ever has been a documented case of that) the odds would probably be greater than 1 in a trillion.

Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM

5,503 posts, read 2,505,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Huhhh?
I have always found Mr Trebek to be the epitome of a gracious gentleman, and have enjoyed watching him on Jeopardy for as long as I can remember.
Well stated. I concur.
His diplomacy will be his final answer to "what trait best served him in his tv career. "

Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM

8,551 posts, read 3,349,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Huhhh?
I can see Calvert's position. Although he is a very entertaining man, and good at what he does, he seems to be unnecessarily dismissive of some of the contestants. Between humiliating them after they tell their little personal story thing, to being obviously annoyed when they can't come up with answers, he's a pretty intimidating man.

I have always thought it would be great to see him actually PLAY Jeopardy, and I bet it would have been a big money maker for charity to put him in the tournament of champions, or some kind of celebrity tournament.

Very sad.

Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM

477 posts, read 728,403 times
May all the gods keep and watch over him

Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM

269 posts, read 210,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
At this point you are looking for that Hail Mary pass and spontaneous remission a.k.a. a miracle! With Stage 4 pancreatic cancer to spontaneously go into remission (not even sure there ever has been a documented case of that) the odds would probably be greater than 1 in a trillion.
Coincidentally enough, a very good friend of ours, same age as my husband, found out he was stage 4 PC in October of 2014. Late 2017 the doctors said he was a miracle. The cancer had gone into remission and they even removed the chemo portal. Suddenly a few months later it came back and there was no hope and he passed away in August 2018. He lived almost 4 years from his original diagnosis. I don't think it ever went completely away.

What causes it? Who knows. My husband was a heavy smoker. Our friend never smoked a day in his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events