Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 09:45 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The United States is on a mission to save some of its busiest workers: bees.

In a first for bees in the nation, seven bee species native to Hawaii are now protected under the Endangered Species Act.

The US Fish and Wildlife Service said it added the yellow-faced bee species to the federal list of endangered species Friday night after years of research concluded they are under threat.
The rule is effective October 31.
Bees placed on endangered species list -- a first in the US - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 07:12 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,753 times

I have been reading that they are in trouble for years. I hope putting them on the endangered list will help them to recover. They are such hard workers they do so much for flowers and they create honey which is so healthy. There are special. Of course my mother was allergic to bees so those with allergies do have to be careful around them. I have some flowering weeds in my yard that the bees love and I stubbornly refuse to cut them because of this.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:53 AM

422 posts, read 335,890 times
I have a lot of flowers in my yard that attract bees and butterflies. I have not seen honeybees at all, lots of bumblebees tho. I did see a honeybee the other day, first time in two years!!

Old 10-02-2016, 01:22 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
In NM we have a native species of honeybee, a miniature, compared to the European type that farmers elsewhere rely on. It seems to be doing fine, as far as I can tell. It's interesting to notice that type of diversity in the bee population. I haven't seen these little ones anywhere else. It's good for agriculture, too, to have a diversity of bee species that can get the job done.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:11 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
In NM we have a native species of honeybee, a miniature, compared to the European type that farmers elsewhere rely on. It seems to be doing fine, as far as I can tell. It's interesting to notice that type of diversity in the bee population. I haven't seen these little ones anywhere else. It's good for agriculture, too, to have a diversity of bee species that can get the job done.
You got a web link for these bees? I use to be a beekeeper and would like more info on them. I want to keep bees again but I want some unique ones.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:27 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Where I live (a suburb of Detroit), we had a ton of bees this year. At least three different types, including the miniature ones that love the sedum, the bumble bees which love the phlox, and the common honey bee. My theory on why bees diminished is that in areas that practice single crop agriculture, the bees don't have enough variety to last throughout the growing season. And when farmers hire those traveling beekeepers, it decimates the local populations.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
My theory on why bees diminished is that in areas that practice single crop agriculture, the bees don't have enough variety to last throughout the growing season. And when farmers hire those traveling beekeepers, it decimates the local populations.
Although there have been reports of lower bee populations all over the country, the bees that were placed on the endangered list are in Hawaii. The reason for the low population of these bees was said to be from
urbanization, non native plants and animals, and other human activities.

Here is the link from the article that gives more information about the specific of the 49 species (including the bees and native Hawaiian plants):

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...m-the-hawaiian

Old 10-03-2016, 05:08 PM

65 posts, read 55,045 times
Shame, Bees really are awesome. They don't even ever sting people, hornets, wasps, and yellow jackets do. All bees do is saunter around and make sweet honest that we love. They are our friends. We can't let them die.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:16 PM

5,535 posts, read 7,105,410 times
I was very rude to bees as a dumb kid, I mollycoddle them now, I love them. They built a nest inside my house outside wall and I just let them ummm...be.

I may plug the holes this spring, if I remember.

Just something to throw out here, I was amazed to learn recently that many flower species are pollinated by BATS.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:55 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Sad that they had to be added, but I'm glad they are.

What Are the Consequences for Killing Endangered Animals? | Legalbeagle.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events