Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 09:48 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times

Advertisements

That Jaguar was about that LIFE! He went ham on that lady. You trying to take a pic with me.. Hell naw!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 10:40 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualBaseball View Post
Anyone know how she crossed the barrier?

I know nuance isn't big on the internet or in people's brains, but there's a pretty big difference between jumping fully over the barrier, leaning over it, and sticking a hand over it.

I heard on the news last night that this is the second time this has happened at this zoo. If so, and depending on how the barrier was beached, perhaps it does need to be redone
Apparently she jumped over it. It's a waist high concrete barrier with shrubs between it the animal's fence. This video shows it pretty clear towards the 1:10 mark https://video.foxnews.com/v/60125279...#sp=show-clips

Old 03-12-2019, 11:26 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
To the extent they're capable of enjoyment... yeah, I bet they enjoy it more than dying from starvation or predation or combat with other wild animals or exposure to the elements.
Try capturing an animal from the wild and offer it a nice safe cage with food and see how how it reacts.
To the extent they are capable of enjoyment. To what extent do you believe they worry about starvation or "combat" or exposure to the elements?

Quote:
Yeah, I already get all of those things by being a member of a civilized society. That's why I live in a civilized society instead of like a feral animal in the wild.
yes and being human instead of a feral animal in the wild you would prefer human things and a feral animal in the wild prefers wild animal things. And thats the problem, people anthropomorphize animals. They forget wild animals are wild animals.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You guys hijack every single thread that’s about an animal and a zoo.Why don’t you make your case on your own thread instead of trying to piggyback off threads that already exist? The topic of the thread is not whether animals should be in zoos.
I was responding to another persons post.
The thread is :woman attacked by jaguar while taking selfie at Arizona zoo.
Why this happened is relevant to the thread.
Because wild animals are wild animals---- because people anthropomorphize animals
The poster I responded to was also anthropomorphize animals equating human wants/needs to that of animals kept in zoos.
Your free to use that ignore button or just dont read my posts.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:36 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Try capturing an animal from the wild and offer it a nice safe cage with food and see how how it reacts.
To the extent they are capable of enjoyment. To what extent do you believe they worry about starvation or "combat" or exposure to the elements?
Cats basically domesticated themselves, you know — pretty much as a safeguard against starvation, exposure to the elements, and other threats to their existence.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:43 AM

9,977 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Quote:
Mankind has been doing it for tens of thousands of years. That's why there are billions of domesticated animals on this earth. That wouldn't have been possible had we not exploited their desire to avoid starvation and combat and exposure to the elements.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Cats basically domesticated themselves, you know — pretty much as a safeguard against starvation, exposure to the elements, and other threats to their existence.
Yes, all my neighbors have self domesticated jaguars, Mt. lions, bob cats, lions and tigers. They are quite common.
You know it was the abundance of prey (rats and mice) that attracted cats to human populations. Rats and mice were after the crops generated by humans. It was the pursuit of abundant food not the fear of starvation that led to domestication.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Mankind has been doing it for tens of thousands of years. That's why there are billions of domesticated animals on this earth.
Capture is the key word here. They are domesticated through breeding in captivity. Eventually they become dependent on humans.
Wild/=domesticated.

A wild animal kept in captivity will not behave like a domesticated animal. Thus invade its space to get a selfie it might just take your arm off. Want a selfie with a cat best grab your domesticated kitty.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:54 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Yes, all my neighbors have self domesticated jaguars, Mt. lions, bob cats, lions and tigers. They are quite common.
You know it was the abundance of prey (rats and mice) that attracted cats to human populations. Rats and mice were after the crops generated by humans. It was the pursuit of abundant food not the fear of starvation that led to domestication.
SMH. No one claimed that your neighbors have self domesticated jaguars, etc. The comment was specific to their evolution as domestic pets.

Pursuit of abundant food and "fear of starvation" are pretty much the same instinct. Of course they were attracted to the rodents agricultural activity attracted. But they didn't stop there.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:11 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
You really think captured wild animals enjoy being captive. They would run like heck the first chance they got. Even those born in captivity feel the call of the wild. A wild animal taking advantage of easy food supply dose not mean it would prefer captivity.
Do you think people prefer to be incarcerated because they worry about starvation or being murdered. Perhaps you should get yourself arrested so you can enjoy free shelter, protection and a free meal plan.

It sounds like you are the one here equating human needs with animals.

I know you are responding to this poster, but you do this on every single thread that is about wild animals, and you derail each of them by taking them off-topic. It's rude. Using the ignore button won't help because the entire thread becomes about the topic YOU want it to be about vs the one it started out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events