U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-21-2019, 10:02 AM
 
11,512 posts, read 21,045,597 times
Reputation: 10965

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
News today says the Ethiopian Airlines airplane was not fitted with optional safety features that could have helped prevent the crash. Southwest and American purchased these optional features on their 737 MAX fleets. United did not.

Again, the "greed is good" and "Profits at all cost" mentality is out of control.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/21/b...es-charge.html
AA was the only one to purchase that option when they ordered them. SWA addded it after the Lion Air crash IIRC.

Your link didn't work but I believe what they are referring to is the AOA indicator showing on CA and FO instrument panel. It's really not that big of a deal and certainly not a "safety feature", more of a "nice to know" kinda thing. The military references AOA when landing but air carriers do not.

Last edited by wheelsup; 03-21-2019 at 10:35 AM..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2019, 10:54 AM
 
868 posts, read 292,094 times
Reputation: 2709
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
AA was the only one to purchase that option when they ordered them. SWA addded it after the Lion Air crash IIRC.

Your link didn't work but I believe what they are referring to is the AOA indicator showing on CA and FO instrument panel. It's really not that big of a deal and certainly not a "safety feature", more of a "nice to know" kinda thing. The military references AOA when landing but air carriers do not.
That's funny because Boeing calls them safety features. But, whatever.

Link: https://nypost.com/2019/03/21/boeing...ented-crashes/
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2019, 11:10 AM
 
11,512 posts, read 21,045,597 times
Reputation: 10965
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
That's funny because Boeing calls them safety features. But, whatever.

Link: https://nypost.com/2019/03/21/boeing...ented-crashes/
To the general public? Would you understand what an AOA is or that it's located on the PFD? Or even why it's there in the first place? Reading that article you linked to, it was the reporter who called it a "safety feature". They really don't know what they are either.

Many, many aircraft in service do not have AOA indicators displayed in the cockpit, yet are they falling out of the sky?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2019, 12:05 PM
 
868 posts, read 292,094 times
Reputation: 2709
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
To the general public? Would you understand what an AOA is or that it's located on the PFD? Or even why it's there in the first place? Reading that article you linked to, it was the reporter who called it a "safety feature". They really don't know what they are either.

Many, many aircraft in service do not have AOA indicators displayed in the cockpit, yet are they falling out of the sky?
I cannot say whether the other aircraft have the software issue that the 737 MAX's that crashed reportedly had. It also appears pilot error/lack of training may be to blame, as they were unable to override the MCAS for whatever the reason (ignorance, perhaps?). I guess we will all know when it all plays out.

This is obviously your area of expertise, so I will defer to your understanding of the verbiage.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2019, 01:31 PM
 
6,494 posts, read 3,650,831 times
Reputation: 13901
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
To the general public? Would you understand what an AOA is or that it's located on the PFD? Or even why it's there in the first place? Reading that article you linked to, it was the reporter who called it a "safety feature". They really don't know what they are either.

Many, many aircraft in service do not have AOA indicators displayed in the cockpit, yet are they falling out of the sky?
Certainly. Probably not by acronym but the brief description in the article makes it quite clear. Keeping such things secret because people would not understand an acronym is no way to win an argument.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2019, 06:13 PM
 
16,596 posts, read 9,658,762 times
Reputation: 27720
Yikes

Boeing 737 Max makes emergency landing at Orlando International Airport
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:50 PM
 
16,596 posts, read 9,658,762 times
Reputation: 27720
I love Vox because they produce information that is concise and to the point.

Greed and profits over customer safety.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2tuKiiznsY
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top