U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2019, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
14,039 posts, read 7,999,188 times
Reputation: 28506

Advertisements

The newest version of Boeing’s most popular jet is under intensified scrutiny after the deadly crash of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 on Sunday, leading that carrier and nearly two dozen others around the world to ground their 737 Max 8 planes. 12 carriers are still flying them however. Early investigation suggests the cause of the problem may be related to faulty anti-stall software.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/11/w...gtype=Homepage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2019, 04:19 PM
 
36 posts, read 14,886 times
Reputation: 90
Pay wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2019, 08:03 PM
 
11,265 posts, read 20,847,881 times
Reputation: 10686
American Airlines and SWA "heavy users" of the MAX? I seriously hate the media. AA has some 330 737s and 24 are MAXs, while SWA has 750 737s and 35 are MAXs.

What a joke, that paper should be sued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2019, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Murrica
2,885 posts, read 1,624,551 times
Reputation: 1762
The NYTimes hates any American corporation. This is fear mongering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM
 
19,089 posts, read 15,786,124 times
Reputation: 35932
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
The NYTimes hates any American corporation. This is fear mongering.
You guys are really ridiculous. So many countries have banned these plans except for us, it’s all about money here over people and you guys foolishly cheer it on. All because some guy with a vested interest in having you disbelieve media reports has convinced you that it’s all “fake”. Even the flight crews don’t want to fly on these planes.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; Yesterday at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM
 
11,265 posts, read 20,847,881 times
Reputation: 10686
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You guys are really ridiculous. So many countries have banned these plans except for us, it’s all about money here over people and you guys foolishly cheer it on. All because some guy with a vested interest in having you disbelieve media reports has convinced you that it’s all “fake”. Even the flight crews don’t want to fly on these planes.
Banned for what reason? They have no reason to ban them except for politics. The number of 737-8's throughout the world is extremely low. It has almost no impact on operations. Easy to do something with little impact.

Air France put an Airbus into the ocean a while back. What you didn't read about was the numerous other similar events that happened to American crews who flew the aircraft safely. But Europe would never ban an Airbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM
 
19,089 posts, read 15,786,124 times
Reputation: 35932
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Banned for what reason? They have no reason to ban them except for politics. The number of 737-8's throughout the world is extremely low. It has almost no impact on operations. Easy to do something with little impact.

Air France put an Airbus into the ocean a while back. What you didn't read about was the numerous other similar events that happened to American crews who flew the aircraft safely. But Europe would never ban an Airbus.

If it's such a small number, then why is the FAA refusing to do it? Passengers don't want to fly on them, crew don't want to fly on them and pilots don't want to fly them. You can cheerlead for corporate America, although I will never get it. The only thing they consider in their decisions is their own portfolios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
 
11,265 posts, read 20,847,881 times
Reputation: 10686
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If it's such a small number, then why is the FAA refusing to do it? Passengers don't want to fly on them, crew don't want to fly on them and pilots don't want to fly them. You can cheerlead for corporate America, although I will never get it. The only thing they consider in their decisions is their own portfolios.
The traveling public as well as flight attendants are ignorant of how to operate the plane and have zero time in an airline cockpit. The pilots of United, SWA and AA (the carriers with MAXs in the US) have not refused to operate them and have actually said the opposite.

In the real world you don't make knee jerk decisions. That's why corporate hasn't downed the airplanes. My company took 14 737s out of service this week because of improperly installed overhead bins. If they will do that they would keep the MAX's on the ground if/when there is evidence of an issue.

The previous MAX crash was due 100% to the carrier not fixing a mechanical problem. It was plastered over and ignored. Everyone jumps down Boeing's throat but ignores the first link in the accident.

In this latest crash, the copilot had 200 hours. That wouldn't even qualify someone in the US to fly a Cessna 172 for hire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
 
19,089 posts, read 15,786,124 times
Reputation: 35932
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The traveling public as well as flight attendants are ignorant of how to operate the plane and have zero time in an airline cockpit. The pilots of United, SWA and AA (the carriers with MAXs in the US) have not refused to operate them and have actually said the opposite.

In the real world you don't make knee jerk decisions. That's why corporate hasn't downed the airplanes. My company took 14 737s out of service this week because of improperly installed overhead bins. If they will do that they would keep the MAX's on the ground if/when there is evidence of an issue.

The previous MAX crash was due 100% to the carrier not fixing a mechanical problem. It was plastered over and ignored. Everyone jumps down Boeing's throat but ignores the first link in the accident.

In this latest crash, the copilot had 200 hours. That wouldn't even qualify someone in the US to fly a Cessna 172 for hire.

Sorry, I disagree. This is about how much power Boeing has, nothing more.


https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/12/amer...nes-crash.html


"American’s pilots’ union said it contacted company executives about the group’s “critical safety concerns” after the crash."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM
 
11,265 posts, read 20,847,881 times
Reputation: 10686
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Sorry, I disagree. This is about how much power Boeing has, nothing more.


https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/12/amer...nes-crash.html


"American’s pilots’ union said it contacted company executives about the group’s “critical safety concerns” after the crash."
Yeah, this is what their "critical safety concerns" actually were.

Quote:
APA leadership and your Safety Committee have been in contact with government and Boeing officials, and we are working with the Company to obtain more details. Federal and international authorities have just begun to look into Sunday’s crash. It is too early to determine (or speculate about) possible causes. APA is prepared to assist the investigation in any way we can.

The FAA, which is on site in Africa with the NTSB, indicated has issued a Continued Airworthiness Notification to the International Community (CANIC) for Boeing 737 Max operators. APA will continue to monitor and keep you updated as more information becomes available.
Don't believe what you read on the news. About anything, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top