Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 08:28 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times

Advertisements

She said she was "young and stupid" when she left him to die of exposure in a field, during winter.

According to the article, a little pin inscribed with You are loved was pinned to his yellow pajamas.

https://www.usatoday.com/amp/3110501002
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 09:12 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Why can't these people at least just drop the baby off at a hospital, so they can put him/her up for adoption?
I don't understand this kind of decision making.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:43 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Because nobody knew she was pregnant to begin with, not even the father. She was trying to hide a secret.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Why can't these people at least just drop the baby off at a hospital, so they can put him/her up for adoption?
This was 38 years ago, before the safe haven laws.

Had she just dropped him off, and was somehow discovered, she'd be charged with a crime for that too.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:54 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
There were not safe haven laws in 1981. She would have been arrested and she was probably in denial about the pregnancy and birth.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I guess its good the case was solved. On the other, putting all that time and energy into investigating and prosecuting a woman 38 years later for something she did as a scared 19 year old seems fruitless. Either way it is sad and shameful that that a woman would leave her newborn to die and more so that our society would support conditions where a women would feel so shamed, scared and alone that it would seem her only option.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:27 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Because nobody knew she was pregnant to begin with, not even the father. She was trying to hide a secret.
"That's no excuse for murdering a child. Ever!"

I received this as a reputation point/comment. My post was in answer to the poster above me that wanted to know why the newborn couldn't have been left at a hospital or adopted out. It is a reason, not an excuse. There is a difference. I am not excusing her actions in any way, shape or form. She needs to be prosecuted for what she did. Her age at the time of the birth was well above the maturity level of knowing what was legal or not, right or wrong.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:40 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
She said she was "young and stupid" when she left him to die of exposure in a field, during winter.

According to the article, a little pin inscribed with You are loved was pinned to his yellow pajamas.

https://www.usatoday.com/amp/3110501002

Apparently he wasn't loved enough. First degree murder in my opinion. She had all sorts of options other than murder.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Apparently he wasn't loved enough. First degree murder in my opinion. She had all sorts of options other than murder.
Not arguing but what sort of options did she have 38 years ago as an pregnant unmarried teenager?
I have also read some "experts" say that newborn abandonment is normally not premeditated but impulsive.

Last edited by 2mares; 03-14-2019 at 02:17 PM..

Old 03-14-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
"That's no excuse for murdering a child. Ever!"

I received this as a reputation point/comment. My post was in answer to the poster above me that wanted to know why the newborn couldn't have been left at a hospital or adopted out. It is a reason, not an excuse. There is a difference. I am not excusing her actions in any way, shape or form. She needs to be prosecuted for what she did. Her age at the time of the birth was well above the maturity level of knowing what was legal or not, right or wrong.
I got a rep say "it wasnt fruitless" not sure why the author doesnt contribute to the discussion instead of posting opinions in the reps.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:49 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
I'm sure a lot of people who intentionally killed others years ago were different people at the time, young and scared, whatever. Doesn't excuse it imo. Leaving an infant to freeze to death is pretty cold.

Too bad C-D wasn't around, though; she could have given the child away in the classified forum the way someone's trying to do now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events