U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 08:06 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,010,460 times

Advertisements

I can understand how a parent would forget. What I don't understand is how a plane full of people wouldn't notice a baby still there. while they were boarding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 08:51 AM

766 posts, read 267,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Much has been made of infants being left in hot cars because a parent forgot about them.

Several potential solutions have been suggested, including various devices to remind people of child in car.

I'm thinking the simplest and most effective solution is right there in everyone's hands. When driving a child in a car and sitting in a rear facing car seat, the easiest thing to do is to put your cell phone in the child seat, or somehow attach it to the child.

These days most everyone will notice not having their cell phones with them in a matter of minutes from exiting the car.
In case they don't put their phone in the carseat, there's an app. I'm not making this up.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:54 AM

766 posts, read 267,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Exactly. It happens, and I can see a young tired stressed out mom doing it in an unfamiliar situation, like a strange airport. I can also see her completely losing it in midair when she realizes what she's done.
I can imagine an older mom, set in her ways, too.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:01 AM

11,692 posts, read 9,727,413 times
The only logical explanation is she had 46 kids and lost track of #47.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:13 AM

8,587 posts, read 12,920,893 times
My dad once forgot my sister @ basketball practice lmao. I can see parents forgetting small things here and there but 'forgetting' @ an airport … this was done on purpose and there is more to the story.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:22 AM

4,813 posts, read 3,270,156 times
There were nine kids in our family. Once my mother went to take us to the lake but forgot something in the house so went back inside. I guess I followed her but she didn't notice. Once they got to the lake and counted heads and one, me, was missing. She had to turn around and there I was, on the steps crying because nobody loved me. I was about three.

I don't think she would have left me at an airport though.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:17 AM

1,621 posts, read 922,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicjson View Post
its alright, the airport has a box of 'em they keep behind the desk so you can retrieve them on your return, next to the one with stray hats and mittens.

"is this the one?"

"noooo, mine is the best-looking."
Better check the "special needs" bin.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:33 PM

11,027 posts, read 19,741,828 times
My parents left me under the table at a truck stop when I was an infant. They got 50 miles down the road, noticed I was being unusually quiet and then realized their mistake. When they got back to the truck stop, I was still asleep under the table and no one had noticed.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:26 PM

8,145 posts, read 5,490,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My parents left me under the table at a truck stop when I was an infant. They got 50 miles down the road, noticed I was being unusually quiet and then realized their mistake. When they got back to the truck stop, I was still asleep under the table and no one had noticed.
And you've had liking for chicken fried steak and country music ever since.

I meant that in a nice way.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:31 PM

4,274 posts, read 4,255,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
So many, many years ago, when I was just a baby in a stroller, my mother forgot about me, leaving me behind at a friend's house after visiting. My mom drove off, got all the way home to a steadily ringing phone. When she picked up, her friend on the other end said, "Ora, I think you forgot something."

At least my mom wasn't on a plane.
And I'll admit that I did something very similar one time. I know, people say "How could a mother forget her CHILD?!?" And I have no good answer, except that I apparently had too many things on my mind as I left my friend's house that day. This was about 25 years ago. I did manage to successfully raise my 3 kids into responsible adults, though I'm sure some here will say that my one memory lapse makes me a horrible parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or