U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2019, 06:35 PM

243 posts, read 35,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
But not with a penny of taxpayer support, and not sheltered from tax liability.

I work in higher education and I am not surprised at all. This stuff goes on all the time. Admission into the schools, paying to be on sport teams, "legacy" students who don't have the grades or scores but whose parents went to school there and will do anything for their kids to go there, etc. Higher education has turned into a complete joke.

What also needs to be discussed is all of the nonsense going on while students are IN school. Here is just one example: Wall Street Journal did a story touching on the subject recently about the extreme growth of students with "disabilities" in school. I have witnessed the extreme growth of this category personally, and a lot of it is a pay for play scheme. The colleges want the tuition money so they are willing to do anything to keep little Johnny and Susie's parents happy. The parents want special "accommodations" for their little angel and the college will give the parents what they want because they want the $$$$. Common accommodations are unlimited time on tests, notes given to students (and in turn they will hand these notes to all of their friends), no attendance requirements, and yes even comfort animals in the classroom on occasion. It has gone from about 5% to 25% of students with these special accommodations over my 12+ years of working in higher education.

I am telling you from personal experience from what I see on a daily basis - It is all one big JOKE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 06:48 PM

2,347 posts, read 1,070,111 times
Here is everyone charged according to MSN.COM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...cid=spartandhp

Old 03-13-2019, 07:06 PM

5,873 posts, read 5,303,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Intelligence is often genetic in nature. The best environment in the world won't make someone into a genius. The advantages that are conferred by wealth and privilege help motivated people bring out their potential, but the potential has to be there in the first place.
It’s not even about that. Full disclosure: both my kids attend weathly private middle/high schools. They got partial scholarships because they are smart and score high on standardized tests, or else we’d never be able to afford it. As it is paying our share is killing us. But both schools cost around 30k a year full price.

I don’t think I ever fully appreciated just how detailed and intense this independent college prep school thing is before I saw it up close.

If I listed every little thing they do to prepare kids I’d be typing for days, but the thing is they don’t have to be smart. These schools from the time the students are small, expose them to EVERYTHING- every sport in the world, different forms of visual art, dance, music,singing, anything you can think of. At the slightest hint of a talent the school will do everything possible to develop it into something colllege admissible.

So if your kid is not book smart but can draw? Guess who will spend high school developing an artistic voice and emerge with a portfolio worthy of the best art schools? Kid can throw a ball? They will try every ball throwing sport in the world and end up in the exact right one playing varsity level and with grades that make them NCAA Division 1 eligible, which really isn’t all that high. I could go on. And they will arrive at college knowing how to network with alumni and talk to professors and set up a study schedule and speak a foreign language and use the right fork... every single soft skill they need to succeed.

These kids came through THAT system. Whole teams of school officials met regularly for 13 years and compared notes and strategized about each kid and their needs, painstakingly trying to grow them step by step from kindergarten through 12th grade, though all the kid’s growing pains, moodiness, crisises of confidence, acne, bad breakups, etc. And even with all of that, these kids STILL COULDNT PULL IT OFF.

I mean... they just are not meant for a high stakes college, at least right now. Own it. Don’t go to these lengths. My goodness.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:15 PM

9,508 posts, read 9,450,976 times
I once wrote a Garage Sale Mystery script about a rowing machine purchased from a garage sale, used to commit fraud and get a bubble-headed girl into a prestigious school so she could be there for game days and partying. However, my script was rejected by the Hallmark channel for being too unbelievable...go figure.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:24 PM

1,689 posts, read 1,124,504 times
^Yes, I do know that Alot is not correctly written this way. I've always written it this way.

It's really not appropriate to correct someone unless it's your job. Geez !

Stay on topic.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:54 PM

2,897 posts, read 2,645,424 times
Stories like this are not surprising. It has gone on for ages at various levels for the wealthy. It does make me think maybe bringing back public shaming by making them wear some sort of 'scarlet letter' or visible tell to everyone in public so that some misguided types can identify where real "privilege" exists and then deny them any going forward would be a good thing.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:19 PM

986 posts, read 348,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I agree itís not status seekers. I saw USD in the list. Thatís not considered very high ranked in the first place.
You do not understand the meaning of status in the broader anthropological sense.
Failing to gain admission to an elite school may sting but failing to get into an unexceptional school is a disaster.

This will dismay the student, but utterly mortify the PARENTS who compete reflexively among themselves.
And despite what some apologists in this thread dismiss as BAU, everyone involved knows it is wrong.
That's why many keep their kids in the dark.

Like it or not, it's ALL ABOUT STATUS IN THE END.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:06 PM

11,763 posts, read 5,600,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
You do not understand the meaning of status in the broader anthropological sense.
Failing to gain admission to an elite school may sting but failing to get into an unexceptional school is a disaster.

This will dismay the student, but utterly mortify the PARENTS who compete reflexively among themselves.
And despite what some apologists in this thread dismiss as BAU, everyone involved knows it is wrong.
That's why many keep their kids in the dark.

Like it or not, it's ALL ABOUT STATUS IN THE END.
Isnít that way you have lots of safeties for a reason. Thereís always a school that will accept your child. My kid has 2-3 safeties for a reason. Choicesamong the safeties.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:06 PM

367 posts, read 211,962 times
The cheating did not stop once the students started taking classes.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:18 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,100,395 times
What's most disturbing to ME, is that elite universities openly allow the opinions and desires of COACHES, to influence who's selected for admission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events