U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 12:17 PM

19,142 posts, read 15,820,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I would hope they strip them of their degrees, thats the right thing to do, after all, they didnt earn them, they were bought and paid for. I know they claim the kids didnt know, but I find that extremely hard to believe, the kids would know if they are not taking mandatory exams or tests, they would also have to be in on it, if they are in school due to sports.

I don't see how they can do that. Some of these people might be practicing doctors or lawyers. Maybe one is scheduled to do a surgery tomorrow, and someone's going to take his undergrad degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Also posted this book, The Price of Admission by Daniel Golden, in the thread about this in the Celebrities forum in the Entertainment section on City Data, but the book is worth mentioning here too:

https://www.amazon.com/Price-Admissi...y&sr=8-1-fkmr2

Read the chapter about Brown University. It will definitely open the eyes of anyone who is considering an "elite" school for their college-bound child. Reading this made me realize that those schools are mostly for making connections--not for actual academic rigor and broadening the intellect.

I am thinking about what these celebrities' children must be feeling about now. How terrible must it feel to find out your parents did this to secure your spot at Yale or Brown, mostly to feed Mom or Dad's huge ego and insecurities? That your own parent did not have enough faith or security to believe that you'd get into the school that was the best fit for you as a person?

I was thinking the exact thing!

Old 03-12-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Her and Lori Loughlin!

I don't know what to think of the latter (the former, IMDB indicates I have barely ever seen (maybe the X Files and a L&O)).

Don't know what to think because this does seem to be the kind of thing where you must realize you are doing wrong but then, what could you be thinking to do this? Don't know what to think for it shows that Big Brother is indeed out there and for all the things that one is told by others that it is "victimless", "harmless", "they will never prosecute".........well, don't believe and cover your 6.

Felicity is most widely known for her years on Desperate Housewives. She's also married to William H. Macy, I wonder if he knew?

Old 03-12-2019, 12:20 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,363,975 times
This is really a major scandal for the US. Dozens of lives will be ruined. Maybe hundreds.

These kids will be expelled (the alumni and correctly-admitted students will insist -- I certainly would), and their names forever tainted, because of their parents' bribery. The reputations of the affected schools also will be tarnished.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:23 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,363,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Felicity is most widely known for her years on Desperate Housewives. She's also married to William H. Macy, I wonder if he knew?
William H. Macy also to be arrested. And Mossimo (the designer). Also several Wall Street and White Shoe NYC Law partners.

Staff (could be faculty, officers, coaches) at Yale, Stanford, Georgetown, Brown, UCLA, many more elite colleges -- many accepted enormous bribes. All must be fired for cause.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:32 PM

5,412 posts, read 1,914,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I would hope they strip them of their degrees, thats the right thing to do, after all, they didnt earn them, they were bought and paid for. I know they claim the kids didnt know, but I find that extremely hard to believe, the kids would know if they are not taking mandatory exams or tests, they would also have to be in on it, if they are in school due to sports.

We don't know that they didn't earn their degrees.

We know they didn't earn their admission. 2 separate things.

I heard about this on the radio. Apparentlty, some kids took their SATs and ACTs, but later, someone else would change some of the answers.

For other kids, the someone else just plain took the tests for them. Others were just asked what kind of score they wanted, and were advised to keep it within the realm of possibility...but impressive. And some kids got athletic scholarships and placements, even though they were never athletes to begin with. Their heads would be photoshopped onto another college athlete's body.

The way I understand it...I can see where maybe SOME kids didn't know what their parents were up to. Maybe.

But if you know you're not an athlete, but you're getting in on an athletic scholarship, or to fill an athletic slot on a team for a game you've never played competively...than you know you're scamming. And you know something is wrong, if someone asks you what you want for your SAT/ACT score.

For those kids who knew they were scamming, I would like to see them lose their degrees. For others...I'm not sure what I'd want them to do. Community service for 4 years maybe?

Old 03-12-2019, 01:05 PM

9,490 posts, read 5,204,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

Well, I suppose that's one of those interesting things, in a twisted coincidence sort of way.

I could never stand to watch Desperate Housewives by myself. I did it as polite company for Mom, but never by myself because it conflicted with the ethics Mom and Dad raised me by.

That was, here was a show where everyone was doing bad things, getting away it, and smiling, even laughing about it. That was glamorizing crime and I was taught not to support shows, movies that did so (which rather makes harsh when Mom watched them, but that's life).

So here we have a star of that show getting caught in a scandal........interesting, in a twisted coincidence sort of way.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
William H. Macy also to be arrested. And Mossimo (the designer). Also several Wall Street and White Shoe NYC Law partners.

Staff (could be faculty, officers, coaches) at Yale, Stanford, Georgetown, Brown, UCLA, many more elite colleges -- many accepted enormous bribes. All must be fired for cause.

This is crazy! I'm a big William H. fan. How did the feds find out, to start looking into it, do we know?

Old 03-12-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, I suppose that's one of those interesting things, in a twisted coincidence sort of way.

I could never stand to watch Desperate Housewives by myself. I did it as polite company for Mom, but never by myself because it conflicted with the ethics Mom and Dad raised me by.

That was, here was a show where everyone was doing bad things, getting away it, and smiling, even laughing about it. That was glamorizing crime and I was taught not to support shows, movies that did so (which rather makes harsh when Mom watched them, but that's life).

So here we have a star of that show getting caught in a scandal........interesting, in a twisted coincidence sort of way.

I don't think everyone was doing bad things. Felcity's character was a good mom, and Teri Hatcher's was just a goofball. It wasn't any different than a daytime soap IMO, and pretty clear that it's exaggerated in the same way as a daytime soap. I didn't grow up with bad morals from watching General Hospital after school.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:13 PM

324 posts, read 276,893 times
This "consultant" must have been some kind of figure. I can't even imagine how you would go about setting up a ring of bribery and fraud throughout multiple Ivy League schools. Yes it's terrible and illegal and I hope they all go to jail, but you almost have to admire the audacity of the scheme. I wonder if organized crime was involved? You'd think there must have been a threat of violence to get so many people to go along with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events