U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 08:24 AM

19,142 posts, read 15,820,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
UT-Austin is absolutely a status school, inside and outside of Texas.

Full disclosure: I'm a UT-Austin grad. I didn't have help getting in (or graduating).
If you are a millionaire and all your friends are millionaires, none are going to be impressed that your kid is going to U of T. I don’t think status had much of anything to do with it, they already have high status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 08:42 AM

39,655 posts, read 23,853,251 times
The details on Felicity Huffman's actions are coming out. Her daughter scored 1020 on her SAT. Huffman paid $15,000 to get that score up to 1420.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:05 AM

4,468 posts, read 1,939,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If you are a millionaire and all your friends are millionaires, none are going to be impressed that your kid is going to U of T. I don’t think status had much of anything to do with it, they already have high status.
Never lived in Texas, have you?

If you knew the fraction of multi-millionaires who live in Texas and attended UT or A&M you might re-think that.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:09 AM

890 posts, read 175,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I think federal prison should be for the most dangerous of criminals. Somehow Huffman and the rest of the parents don't rise to that level for me; neither do the coaches.
It seems there are many people unsuccessful in life who, rather than internalize their personal shortcomings, blame "the rich and powerful" and hence have a bloodlust for revenge against the crime of being, you know, successful.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:23 AM

4,767 posts, read 3,039,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The details on Felicity Huffman's actions are coming out. Her daughter scored 1020 on her SAT. Huffman paid $15,000 to get that score up to 1420.
I took the SAT 4 times back in the early 90's and got within 10-20 points each time, at least I was consistent!

Old 03-14-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Interesting, nobody bribed to get their kids into UC Berkeley.
... or CalTech or MIT or Harvey Mudd or Georgia Institute of Technology or other rigorous engineering programs. While the indictment doesn't specify it, I doubt any of the students planned to study hard stuff - probably just lit majors and sociology majors and the like.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Then there’s the fact they set it up as a “charity” and deducted their bribes. We paid for that.
IRS tax returns are a separate issue. The *really* smart parents would not deduct the bogus charitable contribution because that's felony tax evasion. If the parents are convicted, the IRS will indeed pursue the matter.

Felony tax evasion will be separate legal proceedings, and I believe it would end up in Tax Court - a different judicial body. It will be quite painful.

We won't know for a while, but I suspect the bright parents did not deduct the bogus charitable contribution for this reason. I suspect the Hollywood parents just turned all their info over to a tax preparer, who, not knowing about the bogus deduction, put it on the tax return.

And, of course, those parents who are attorneys will be ejected from the bar.

The pain has only just begun.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:48 AM

1,299 posts, read 650,758 times
I agree these pampered snowflakes and spoiled millionaires (and those who helped them) should be charged & penalized to the max but.....did the FBI, cops, etc. REALLY have to show up at their doors in the early a.m. with guns drawn like it was a raid on a terrorist safe house???*

Stupid and grandstanding....just a stunt to show off apparently how "serious" they were taking it. The Roger Stone arrest a while back was the most comically extreme case of overdoing it.....helicopters and SWAT teams showing up a dawn to arrest an old man who had probably just taken his metamucil & prostate meds. A huge waste of taxpayers dollars to show off their "might" and play Army.

There's a place such tactics/show of force is needed....but not when it's spoiled millionaire Hollywood actresses & affluent old men living otherwise peacefully in their mansions & manicured lawns.

A massively ridiculous overreach and waste of our money to get publicity and justify their existence.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:50 AM

2,670 posts, read 1,260,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
What's most disturbing to ME, is that elite universities openly allow the opinions and desires of COACHES, to influence who's selected for admission.
because sports brings in a ton of money. Penn state football brings in some thing around 90 million bucks of revenue for the school.

Big ten schools will tell you their sports teams PAY for most of the academic scholarships. Do you really think they can give out scholarships to philosophy students on their own.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
All public schools in CA receive the exact same level of funding, per pupil. How the districts spend the money may vary, but the poorest schools get much in the way of additional funding from federal programs.
Actually, public school funding is a bit more complicated in CA.

Quote:
In 2013, California implemented the Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF), shifting from a complex system with more than 50 funding categories to a multi-tiered formula that directs extra funding to “high need” (economically disadvantaged, English Learner, or foster youth) students. The LCFF provides a base amount of funding keyed to each district’s average daily attendance. Districts then receive a 20% supplement for each high-need student, and districts with relatively large shares of high-need students receive additional dollars.
https://www.ppic.org/publication/fin...ublic-schools/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events