U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 09:53 AM

20,587 posts, read 13,505,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think it's less that people are/were cheating to get what they want or just how elaborate this particular scheme was (and the players involved).
No. This IS about widespread cheating. That is exactly what it is about. Money has tainted this process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 10:03 AM

19,142 posts, read 15,820,127 times
I assumed women’s coach was female, sorry.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-14-2019 at 10:17 AM..

Old 03-14-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Never lived in Texas, have you?

If you knew the fraction of multi-millionaires who live in Texas and attended UT or A&M you might re-think that.
If itís common for millionaires kids to attend, then itís not a status school in the eyes of millionaires. Itís just one of the schools they expect their kids to attend. If itís common for millionaires kids to go there, then no millionaire is going to be impressed by it. Remember my point was disputing a post which said these parents did it for status. A high-end Benz might be a status symbol to you or I but it wonít be to a millionaire.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:10 AM

21,134 posts, read 21,267,296 times
a Cornell alum worked to get his daughter classified as being stupid in order to game the entrance exam in her favor

Caplan has been charged with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and wire fraud. The private equity attorney, named ďDealmaker of the YearĒ by American Lawyer magazine last year, graduated from Cornell in Ithaca, N.Y., in 1988.
According to the Cornell Daily Sun, FBI documents show Singer used his college counseling service to encourage Caplan to petition for extended test-taking time for his daughter last June. A wiretapped phone call shows Caplan and his wife discussed a total of $75,000 in payments for Singerís employees to take classes under Caplanís daughterís name and fix her answers on the ACT college entrance test.
The scheme first required Caplanís daughter ďto be stupidĒ on a psychologist evaluation to receive extra test time. She scored a 22 out of a possible 36 on the ACT practice test; Caplan allegedly asked Singer to make sure she scored 32, but no higher.

https://www.syracuse.com/schools/201...isability.html

incidentally, Stanford is now in search of a new sailing coach, how hard could that be?

https://www.stanforddaily.com/2019/0...sions-scandal/

Old 03-14-2019, 10:12 AM

12,210 posts, read 10,090,525 times
^ I hope all attorneys involved are disbarred for their conduct. Unethical conduct like this stuff can get them in trouble with the Bar even if it was unconnected to their jobs.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:19 AM

2,946 posts, read 1,510,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
A womanís soccer coach probably makes a low salary, and sheís offered $400,000. Yes itís wrong but I donít fault her more than the others who have been charged. Thatís a tempting sum for regular folk, especially eleven they see other coaches like football making hundreds of thousands if not millions a year.

Wow, this is really insulting. I'm out of here.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
It seems there are many people unsuccessful in life who, rather than internalize their personal shortcomings, blame "the rich and powerful" and hence have a bloodlust for revenge against the crime of being, you know, successful.
I dont understand how you can say that, when it’s very clear these people broke the law and cheated in every way imaginable. How can you tell a kid that had good grades and test scores that it’s her fault she didn’t get into USC because someone had their test taken for them, but it’s still their fault they didn’t get in?

Your post makes no absolutely no sense in the context of this thread.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:08 AM

889 posts, read 651,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Especially when you consider that these are kids who attended expensice private college prep schools OR public schools in weathy high performing districts all their lives. They had access to top notch educations in environments created to groom every little bit of potential a kid has and churn out an ideal elite college candidate at the other end. And their parents could afford all the tutoring and enrichment and extracurriculars anyone could dream of.

But they STILL couldn't get a high enough score on a standardized test to be considered to a halfway prestigeous school on their own.

It's mind boggling.
It's actually beautifully summed up by the quote: "You can't fix stupid."

I mean, look at the parents and their decision to throw good money after bad into their dumb, lazy, money pit of a brat.

Just wait for the press releases that they "weren't aware" they were comitting a crime.

Apple, tree, distance.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:12 PM

12,210 posts, read 10,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
It's actually beautifully summed up by the quote: "You can't fix stupid."

I mean, look at the parents and their decision to throw good money after bad into their dumb, lazy, money pit of a brat.

Just wait for the press releases that they "weren't aware" they were comitting a crime.

Apple, tree, distance.
I didn't read any of the court documents, but there is a twitter thread with a string of like 60 tweets from the same person posting screenshots of parts of the complaints I guess quoting phone or other conversation transcripts. And she's commenting on them. Anyway, they show that multiple parents involved were explicitly asking the guy running it about what would happen if word that this was happening got out, what would the odds be that people would find out about this scheme, who would get in trouble, etc. So it would be interesting to see these same people try to deny it, considering these records. I mean, they don't come out straight and say they know it's illegal, I don't think, but the context strongly suggests they know.

IIRC, the guy running it (I think the guy ID'd in the transcript was the guy running it, he's ID'd as CW) said he's been doing this for 24 years.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:29 PM

I just heard Hallmark channel fired Lori Loughlin, and Sephora cosmetics stores "ended their partnership" with her daughter Olivia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events