U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 05:05 PM

8,824 posts, read 8,977,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
It's not quite THAT tough...

Stanford acceptance rate: 4.3%
Harvard acceptance rate (not in the scandal - yet) 4.6%
Yale acceptance rate: 6.3%
USC Acceptance rate: 12.8%
Georgetown acceptance rate: 14.5%
Wake Forest acceptance rate: 28%
University of Texas at Austin acceptance rate: 40% (but includes automatic acceptances)
University of San Diego acceptance rate: anyone with a pulse or who can fog a mirror
True, but an acceptance rate of 4.3% or even 6.3% suggests that roughly 19 out of every twenty applicants are rejected. I suspect much self selection occurs before applications are sent in. The people who know they won't be accepted do not apply. Therefore, the pool of applicants that does apply has higher than average SAT or ACT scores. Out of that pre-selected pool, only about one out of twenty gets picked.

Those kids that were in ninetieth percentile range and didn't get an acceptance are not "stupid" as some here seem to imply. They are not the very brightest, but many of them are actually borderline gifted.

We live in a very exclusive world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 05:40 PM

2,670 posts, read 1,260,056 times
lol, let's not forget that anyone can just "pull themselves up by the bootstraps"

Old 03-14-2019, 05:45 PM

12,003 posts, read 7,131,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I just heard Hallmark channel fired Lori Loughlin, and Sephora cosmetics stores "ended their partnership" with her daughter Olivia.
I do kind of feel bad for Olivia Jade. She wanted to be a YouTube star, already had sponsorships with major companies like Amazon, Sephora, Dolce & Gabbana, Marc Jacobs, Smashbox, Too Faced, Clinique, etc... She didn't even want to go to college in the first place. But because her parents forced their own agenda on her, she is losing out on her life dream. Even if she's able to turn it around and make a reality show from this, she's always going to be known as the girl who's parents committed fraud to get her into college.

And Lori Loughlin and Target guy are just idiots. They ruined their own careers over something their daughter didn't even want. Neither of them went to college, and made it just fine. Why was their daughters going to USC so important?!

Old 03-14-2019, 05:57 PM

19,142 posts, read 15,820,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I agree that wealthy kids get all kinds of help that ordinary kids don't get and it does make a difference.

The SAT and other college entrance tests generally test a combination of intelligence and knowledge though. The single strongest factor that determines intelligence is heredity.

You get minimal improvement on these tests by attending test prep courses. However, its gotten to where even public high schools are offering these. I suspect the result is that scores overall are improving on these tests which allows the elite colleges to be even more selective.

I wouldn't call a lot of these wealthy kids who couldn't get admitted to Harvard or an Ivy League school dumb. In many cases, they are bright kids, but being in the ninetieth percentile isn't enough. For example, the UC system is designed to admit the top 7.5% of students in the state. So, being at the 91% percentile on an ACT wouldn't get you in.

George W. Bush got admitted to Yale. However, he was a "legacy admission". I once saw his test scores and grades. They were good, but not phenomenal.

The moral of all this? I don't know sometimes. We live in a very competitive world and we thrive on having the fanciest home and the nicest car. We don't want our kids to be "equal". We want our kids to rise to the very top. Many people will cheat to see that their kids climb the social and economic ladder.

I see the conduct here in very strange way. We can't tolerate it as a society. Yet, we can sort of understand it as a parent wanting the best for their child.
I agree with your post, but wanted to say wealthy kids get much more than test prep.i read they hire consultants to work with the kids from about 7th grade. They tell them what classes to take, what extracurricular to take, what to do in the summer. Everything geared toward what colleges look for. These consultants cost around $70,000.00. Parents who canít afford these consultants are at a disadvantage.

Iím not saying there anything wrong with that, BUT I have argued with many people through the years on these boards who insist poor kids have the same chances of equal success as rich kids, and itís just not so. These elite schools are.more than education, they provide connections that lead to great success.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:59 PM

5,261 posts, read 2,109,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
It seems there are many people unsuccessful in life who, rather than internalize their personal shortcomings, blame "the rich and powerful" and hence have a bloodlust for revenge against the crime of being, you know, successful.
Tell that to parents and their kids who break their backs trying to reach a goal only to have the rug pulled out from under you by "the rich and powerful" cutting in line. This isn't what America is supposed to be about. It takes away the reason to try harder. Why try harder when you're up against this crap?

It seems to me that here in America the scum rise to the top.

Wake to hell up.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Celebrities live in the world of there is no such thing as bad publicity. This may be just a temporary dip in income for them. They can have a come back here in a few years and make more money.
I donít know that this is true. Look T Pee Wee Herman (whose ďcrimeĒ was stupid to make a big deal ofvthen, but today would not even be a blip).

Old 03-14-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Tell that to parents and their kids who break their backs trying to reach a goal only to have the rug pulled out from under you by "the rich and powerful" cutting in line. This isn't what America is supposed to be about. It takes away the reason to try harder. Why try harder when you're up against this crap?

It seems to me that here in America the scum rise to the top.

Wake to hell up.
Thatís really the thing. We want to believe cheaters never prosper and that good wins in the end, and this case is a glaring reminder of what folly that is.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:20 PM

4,768 posts, read 3,039,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Thatís really the thing. We want to believe cheaters never prosper and that good wins in the end, and this case is a glaring reminder of what folly that is.
How does that saying go, "If you're not cheating, you're not trying."

I guess it makes those who didn't cheat, that came from average income families and busted their butts to get in, even that more impressive, since the deck was really stacked against them on several fronts!

Old 03-14-2019, 06:37 PM

9,876 posts, read 5,922,441 times
Hallmark channel just ended their partnership with Lori Loughlin.

Her daughter (Olivia Jade) also lost her sponsorship with Sephora and her and her sister dropped out of USC.

I have no sympathy for either of the parties.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:44 PM

4,768 posts, read 3,039,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Hallmark channel just ended their partnership with Lori Loughlin.

Her daughter (Olivia Jade) also lost her sponsorship with Sephora and her and her sister dropped out of USC.

I have no sympathy for either of the parties.
The daughters are basically "walking memes" at this point, no way they were going to stay at USC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events